Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Federal Government Shutdown: Public Lands CLOSE

Default Federal Government Shutdown: Public Lands CLOSE

I was planning to head to the North Slope tomorrow through the weekend for some spring action caribou hunting, but my wife reminded me of the consequences of a Federal Gov shutdown.

Did you know, which I didn't, that ALL federal public lands, such as ANWR and BLM managed lands will be CLOSED to public access if the government shuts down without party resolution tomorrow at midnight? That means that off the Dalton hwy, like Atigun Gorge and BLM lands from the Yukon River bridge to MP 300 will be closed to public access!

I always thought that only National Parks with services would be closed in such a crisis, but evidently that's not the case at all. Interesting and disturbing.

So, anyone who was planning to go hunting this weekend should be advised that all federal lands will be affected by this issue.

Spread the word and listen for public service announcements on the radio and TV should this shutdown occur. Keep in mind that only critical staff will be working in such a case, so telephones might not be manned.

lb, out

thanks for the heads up, i'm going bear hunting this weekend & am not worried if they shut down or not. if they do shut down then they have more to worry about than me- like the 16,000 people at arctic man.

So who is going to enforce this?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Also Wickersham Dome, Tangle Lakes area, most of the land along the Denali Hwy....

I'm not sure how enforcement works but it would be tough to keep you off a trail if it's the way you access a cabin, trapline, etc... trails and easements are like roads in that way I think
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Well, if they shut down...

They won't know I'm there. Kinda like the tree falling in the woods. LOL

Taylor

As for the original subject area, I'm not sure it's a good idea to be going up the Dalton this weekend...

This from the state:

Travel advisories are in effect for the following highways:

NEW: Elliott Highway: Heavy snowfall and high winds between mp 92-106 is causing poor to no visibility. Motorists are advised not to travel at this time.

Parks Highway—Heavy snowfall between MP 163-231 (Cantwell to Denali Park) is causing poor to no visibility. Motorists are advised not to travel at this time. The National Weather Service has forecast 12-16 inches of snow over the next 12 hours.

Richardson Highway
    This advisory is extended from MP 208-272 and now includes Delta. Heavy snowfall and high winds between MP 208-272 (Trims-Delta) is resulting in no visibility. Motorists are advised not to travel at this time.

Dalton Highway—Travel between MP 99-156 (Jim River) is difficult due to high winds (35-50+ MPH). There is poor to no visibility due to blowing and drifting snow.

If you must travel in these areas please use extreme caution and reduce your speed and watch for equipment on the highway.

For updates visit 511.Alaska.Gov or call 511.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bartlett View Post
    I was planning to head to the North Slope tomorrow through the weekend for some spring action caribou hunting, but my wife reminded me of the consequences of a Federal Gov shutdown.

Did you know, which I didn't, that ALL federal public lands, such as ANWR and BLM managed lands will be CLOSED to public access if the government shuts down without party resolution tomorrow at midnight? That means that off the Dalton hwy, like Atigun Gorge and BLM lands from the Yukon River bridge to MP 300 will be closed to public access!

I always thought that only National Parks with services would be closed in such a crisis, but evidently that's not the case at all. Interesting and disturbing.

So, anyone who was planning to go hunting this weekend should be advised that all federal lands will be affected by this issue.

Spread the word and listen for public service announcements on the radio and TV should this shutdown occur. Keep in mind that only critical staff will be working in such a case, so telephones might not be manned.

lb, out
    See how many Federal Officers are out there to ticket you if they are closed down. Frankly I hope they shut our government down for a while and sort out our deficit issues.
    An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

Actually the enforcement personnel is considered to be "essential" and required to work. Only non-essential workers will be layed off until a budget is passed.

hmmm, I just read something about what would be shut down and they only talked about national parks. I can't see why they would close down the woods for someone to walk through, sounds stupid to me.

BoogyMan Tactics...
    Can You see the ramifications of closing Kodiak?
    I would like to see the shutdown happen and let things percolate awhile...all the while honestly figuring out just who and what are genuinely 'Essential'...might help our citizens see things a little more clearly.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

We're all supposed to stand very still. Life comes to a stop without government!

Taylor

Thanks for the heads up LB. I didn't know that Fed managed land would be closed to public access during a gov. shutdown!. I too am headed up north this month to take the dog and gun for a walk. Hmmm. So the question is would someones hypothetical wife write a feller a ticket for hunting/hiking in ANWR during a gov. shutdown? That's crazy, like there would be any good reason to limit (or issue a ticket) public access onto Fed land, especially ANWR being so remote. Nuts....

Forgot about FWS... that means Kenai, Kodiak, Kanuti, and all the others that don't start with a K are closed too.

It is not that the lands will be closed, but under the current train of thought within our Gov. the offices that issue the PERSONAL use permits and collect the user fees associated with that permit to access the public lands will be closed.

Under the current management and policy of the NPS, BLM, FAA, USFWS, Etc. They are the public, and your use of it constitutes PERSONAL use of public lands and are subject to permits and fees.
    squab (probably of Scandinavian descent; skvabb, meaning "loose, fat flesh") is a young domestic pigeon or its meat

Has anyone seen this in writing anywhere? I was thinking about starting this as a rumor to keep everyone out while I went hunting this weekend.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

When the cat is not around, the mice come out to play!

If the government shuts down all national park lands (hard park) revert to a huntable again! In a perfect world.....

The BLM field agent in Nome, Ak. says Larry's statements are incorrect. Perhaps a call to BLM in Fbks or Anch. would be in order.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

its ok you may get a ticket but there will be no one to process it.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bartlett View Post

lb, out
    What is your reference?
    Tim

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast