Thread: Eye Dominance

Default Eye Dominance

I was asked by a Mom today an archery question that I could not answer. Her son, about 10 years old I think, is going to get a new compound bow very soon. He is a right hand dominant, but for vision is left eye dominant. He has shot a kids bow right handed for a while and Mom states he is always moving his head to sight with his left eye. Mom wanted to know if she should start him out on a left hand compound bow? My knee jerk response is to patch the left eye while he is learning to shoot. I am sure the answer is something else...what do you say???
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Yes.

I have the same issue. Been shooting bows and long guns lefty ever since my first BB gun. Pistols I shoot righty becase I have better control and manipulation with my dominant hand. Adjusting to shoot with my left eye is minor and unconscious.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I am left eye dominant and shoot righty. I have good(ish) eyes, and I prefer the advantage of manipulating controls with my dominant hand rather than vice-versa. This is with a rifle mind you. I think strength might also be a consideration with a bow, if its too hard to control with his left hand, it might shy him from bows for life. Someone with actual advice will chime in soon enough, just some thoughts till' then.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

My best suggestion would be to have him shoot right handed and outfit the bow with a hind sight.

Check them out at hindsightco.com

Kids eye dominance are changing at this age.. can bounce back and forth literally from month to month.. My daughter had the same issue in 2001, she was 11 at the time and shot very good right handed, right eye dominant.. then all of a sudden she would shoot a 10, then the next arrow was a foot to the right.. etc.. some guy at the range checked her eyes and I learned she was left eye dominant (that day).. to combat this I got her a eye patch,, when she stepped up to the line she would slide it down over her left eye.. BAM.. bullseye every time.. over time she grew out of it and is now 16 and right eye dominant. she shoots rifles and bows all right handed.. Give it a try and see if it works..

Hoytguy

+1 to what Hoytguy said

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    Kids eye dominance are changing at this age.... to combat this I got her a eye patch,, Hoytguy
    Talked to mom again today. The boy is 12, and it sounds like he sometimes uses his right eye, other times left. She is having him close his left eye for all shots. I suggested the eye patch to make it easier for him. She got him a Mission Craze...I asked if she got it in Hot Pink, but for some reason the young man didn't want it in that color...go figure ;-)

Thanks for the advice.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

that is funny roger i have a friends 13yo geting ready for his ibep shoot and he just got a hot pink craze.