Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marmot Precip raingear, any experience?

Default Marmot Precip raingear, any experience?

Its time to replace my Helly Hansons and was considering some lighter more packable gear. Wanting to try going a little lighter this year. Anyone used the marmots? Anyone have better suggestions for a comparable price to a new set of Helly Hansons.

I've been pretty pleased with my Precip gear. It's not quite as tough as the Impertech, but it's a lot lighter, dries faster, and you don't get the condensation underneath it like I have experienced with Impertech.

It's lightweight and it's not very quiet. Take a look at the Cabela's Space Rain, I'm trying that this year. I have the Precip too if you want to check them out together.

I used it with no issues but upgraded to a event top which is way "more betta" but costs a bunch more too... I like HH for fishing but for backpack hunting the precip is hard to beat dollar for dollar

As mentioned, it's light, breaths extremely well, and drys fast. The bad news is that if you are busting wet brush with it, it will be wet through within minutes. Like most of the 2.5 layer stuff, it doesn't handle water pressure well at all. I would call it fair light duty gear. Ok for back packing and I used it on a soggy sheep hunt last year, but it certainly has it's limitations.

Yk

the above comment on saturating through is the first i have ever heard concerning the precip. i have an oracle which is a higher end precip from marmot. i never had any soaking through. i think it is the best quality you can get for the money.

I've used the jacket for a couple years and never had any soak thru issues, this includes ice climbing which is about as wet as you get without jumping in a lake.

I had a marmot precip when I lived in Wyoming and Washington. lets say it worked great for Wyoming (dry climate) and poorly for Washington (very wet). In Washington I experienced many soak through moments very quickly. I think it's a good rain jacket for the money, but I found mine to wear out fast. I now have a Golite goretex jacket and I love it. Not a lot more money and works great.

the above comment on saturating through is the first i have ever heard concerning the precip.
    Well that's interesting. I wonder if if some sets are better than others? Although the amount of water that got through wasn't huge, it was certainly noticeable. The pants were the worst, but the jacket would eventually do the same thing.

The stuff worked fine (actually great, since it's so breathable) hiking in open country, but tall grass/brush/belly crawling over the tundra was a different story. It didn't leak exactly, it was just wet on the inside all the time.

Yk

My experience with precip is identical to YK's, not a good choice for a downpour or wet brush, at least the jacket I have isn't. Maybe the first time I wore it, but wears through quickly, and the re-treatment stuff just doesn't last long when packing it / wrinkling it.

OK, thanks guys. Next question, is there any good raingear that is lighter and more packable than the Helly's and just as waterproof for downpours, tall grass, and possibly saving your life being out in rain overnight, but costs about the same (about 150 total for tops and bottoms).

Another complaint I have is the fabric inside of the Helly's don't allow it to dry as quickly as I would like.

Quote Originally Posted by hntr View Post
    OK, thanks guys. Next question, is there any good raingear that is lighter and more packable than the Helly's and just as waterproof for downpours, tall grass, and possibly saving your life being out in rain overnight, but costs about the same (about 150 total for tops and bottoms).

Another complaint I have is the fabric inside of the Helly's don't allow it to dry as quickly as I would like.
    It's lightweight and it's not very quiet. Take a look at the Cabela's Space Rain, I'm trying that this year. I have the Precip too if you want to check them out together.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Barga...3Bcat105689880

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...BC%3BIK-932271

Precip is awesome, but requires proper maintenance. Wash with Nikwax tech wash and re-apply the DWR coating every couple of years. If you've used laundry detergent the precip is probably damaged and the coating is gone.

The nice thing about Precip is the pit vents in the jacket and leg vents in the full zip pants, which will help a lot when climbing for sheep or goats.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Barga...3Bcat105689880

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...BC%3BIK-932271
    Tyrek, Let us I know what ya think of the space suit. From what I have heard from folks I have corresponded with that have used it said they wouldn't suggest it or buy it again due to lack of durability for brush bustin. Tore a bit too easily for their likely. Maybe Cabelas as fixed this issue since then. Be nice to here yoru thoughts after a fall of testing it in the brush.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Tyrek, Let us I know what ya think of the space suit. From what I have heard from folks I have corresponded with that have used it said they wouldn't suggest it or buy it again due to lack of durability for brush bustin. Tore a bit too easily for their likely. Maybe Cabelas as fixed this issue since then. Be nice to here yoru thoughts after a fall of testing it in the brush.
    Lanche; It is supposed to be made of that same dry-plus fabric as your pants that wont die but I did read in the comments that it didn't do so hot in shale and brush.

The Precip full zip pants and I think the jacket are on sale at Campmor. Just ordered up a pair the other day. A Southeast goat hunt ought to be a pretty good test of their durability/waterproofness.

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    My experience with precip is identical to YK's, not a good choice for a downpour or wet brush, at least the jacket I have isn't. Maybe the first time I wore it, but wears through quickly, and the re-treatment stuff just doesn't last long when packing it / wrinkling it.
    Same here. I guess it's fine for open tundra but busting alders goat hunting I was soaked in minutes. It was the second time it was worn too.

Back to impertec for me. It works.

Everything I've read about Dry-Plus is pretty good. The stuff is cheap enough that I can replace every year or two. I've only wore it ice fishing so far, I wanted to see how stiff/loud it got in the cold (-10 or so) and it seemed fine. My plan for it is to keep it in the day pack on sunny or questionable days for day hunts off the road or out of base camp. I'll post my thoughts on it when it sees some use and if anybody wants to check it out, let me know.

It does sound like it may be the ticket for a light weight day pack option. I could definitely see me keeping it in the pack when chasing bears in the alpine around the valley. I don't think I would trust it for a Kodiak goat trip or a long sheep trip where staying dry can make or break the hunt. For that I will just close my eyes and swipe the card for some Arc-Teryx or similar high end shell.

After reading the reviews on the cabelas space rain gear it looks like everyone that actually wore it tore it immediately. The only guys that rated it 5 stars are the ones in dry climates that carry it around in their packs and never wear it. I may just buy another set of Impertechs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast