Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pinks at Bird creek and Hope

Default Pinks at Bird creek and Hope

Saddly me and my freinds have had to cancel our Alaska trip this year .we make the trip on odd numbered years and enjoy the pink runs at Hope and Bird .Do they still run these creeks on even numbered years As we hope to make the trip next year.
    Cheers Graham. <*(((<{

Hey Graham--Even numbered years are the best at Bird and Resurection in Hope. Come around july 20th and they should be thick. Pinks are one of the most explosive game fish pound for pound I see why you enjoy fishing them.

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Pinks are one of the most explosive game fish pound for pound I see why you enjoy fishing them.
    By explosive you must be talking about the hump on the males

Thanks Fullbush .fished odd years and caught more salmon in 1 afternoon than in a lifetime of salmon fishing in Scotland . Cant imagine more fish .we hit Hope during there dearby weekend last time and the guys had a blast .we are gutted about this year we were counting down the days .We will have to make it 3 weeks next year. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by tcman View Post
    No I'm talking about the fight. Oh and the table fare is marvelous when they're ocean bright. One of the healthiest foods on the planet...
    Sure Graham, PM when you're on your way and I'll let you know of some better spots than Bird Creek..

I'm taking a poll

Quote Originally Posted by tcman View Post
    Even my 8 year daughter said to me last year, "Dad, these pinks don't fight very hard". I laughed my ass off.

anybody who's ever sight fished for pinks on the flats in saltwater will have a whole new appreciation for humpies they are my favorite salmon to eat when fresh
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Odd numbered years have been much better. This last year was the worst ever,this year is supposed to be awsome..

We fished Hope in mid July, both 2007 and 2009 and it was loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    anybody who's ever sight fished for pinks on the flats in saltwater will have a whole new appreciation for humpies they are my favorite salmon to eat when fresh
    Monkey these guys will diss pinks because its popular to diss pinks, sheep do whats popular not what right. Like I said pinks are lb for lb one of the feistiest salmonoids there is. Plus pinks have the least amount of mercury of the 5 pacific salmon. Also they sit number three on the good cholesterol chart right behind sockeyes, kings being 1st, chums 4th and the mighty coho is the least. Thats right coho salmon are loaded w/ the bad cholesterols and have very little omega 3 making the silver salmon the least healthy of the salmonoids. Pink salmon are awesome, thankyou God!

I'm taking a poll

Personaly i am not a fan of pinks. i have tried them fresh out of the salt and was not impressed. They are fun to catch but then again so are most STD's LOL

Pinks are a blast on the fly rod... Put up a nice fight!
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Monkey these guys will diss pinks because its popular to diss pinks, sheep do whats popular not what right. Like I said pinks are lb for lb one of the feistiest salmonoids there is. Plus pinks have the least amount of mercury of the 5 pacific salmon. Also they sit number three on the good cholesterol chart right behind sockeyes, kings being 1st, chums 4th and the mighty coho is the least. Thats right coho salmon are loaded w/ the bad cholesterols and have very little omega 3 making the silver salmon the least healthy of the salmonoids. Pink salmon are awesome, thankyou God!
    I knew there was a reason Coho's tasted best. Anything bad for you taste great!

Quote Originally Posted by Russp17 View Post
    I knew there was a reason Coho's tasted best. Anything bad for you taste great!
    I know, pleasure is a bad thing... thanks a lot Eve ya dumb $i@&#!

I'm taking a poll

Wait a minute.............Hope has Pinks in odd numbered years??? Am I reading some of these posts correctly? Somebody please explain. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by firefightersteve View Post
    Wait a minute.............Hope has Pinks in odd numbered years??? Am I reading some of these posts correctly? Somebody please explain. Thanks.
    There are always pinks down there. I have been there even and odd years and always catch fish.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Even years are the best for pinks on the Cook inlet side, odd years are best on the PWS side. Its all got to do w/ the '64 quake. In PWS everything rose, drying up the humpie creeks, thusly hurting the wild run. In CI things had a tendency sink, and for some reason the pinks flourished...Thats what I know, I dunno if its even right but its the theory we've always went w/. We have no problem in the sound w/ the hatchery stocks on even years but the wild stocks are weak

I'm taking a poll

Default Pinks at Hope

Thanks fullbush and bilder for the feedback. Much appreciated.

I tried to find some pinks last year (my first year in Alaska) for me and the kids to catch, but never had any luck. My kids as 8 and 10 and dying to catch more fish than they did last year (a few small trout at the base), and I'd love to experience them on lightweight tackle. I've read great things about catching pinks at Valdez. Anybody have experience with this they'd like to share? Thanks.

Eric

try streams on the parks.....they all have them, and pretty much any thing you throw will work. Try williow at the end of july or early aug.
    Go to the bridge and look down if there is fish there stop and play, if not.......go some were else.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast