Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuna fishing

Default Tuna fishing

So out of curiosity is there any tuna fishing up there?

Quote Originally Posted by kantill View Post
    So out of curiosity is there any tuna fishing up there?
    I think Alaska is a bit far up for tuna.I think tuna like warmer water like say down south.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Not sure how often it happens but I recall buying cases of albacore tuna from kodiak. I think the fleet that typically fishes somewhere between Alaska and Hawaii (usually further south) somehow ended up closer to Kodiak than Hawaii or the west coast while chasing them...so the story goes. But I remember the tuna being a welcome change from the normal fare...tuna was awesome!

But never heard of sport fishing for them.

Thanks, I know there is tuna off the coast of washington and oregon so I was wondering if they ever make the trip up north.

It depends on where the warm water current is. Supposedly it's around 600 miles offshore. A few boats have tried it but I don't think it payed. Several years ago 2 or 3 boats loaded their decks with fuel drums and headed south from Dutch in pursuit of swordfish, but didn't get enough to pay. Late summer-early fall the warm water can be close in off the west coast and they do well on the albacore.

I fish for tuna. As well as marlin, mahi mahi, etc. Trouble is I don't seem to catch any

Tuna go up as far as British Columbia with the el nino currents. You have to go a few miles offshore to find them, but they are there. Wouldn't be surprised if they made it up as far as southern AK.

I know the Humbolts start coming up further also - anyone ever catch humbolts in AK?

It is true, that occasionally they come north enough for some commercial guys to have found them south of Kodiak,
    some guys were selling them fresh, out of a truck in Kodiak a while back

but it's WAY offshore, and I think only on a wierd year,
    hardly something you could target with high expectations,

Darn, I'm all for global warming in that respect, Love Those Tuna
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

most el nino years a few gill netters will pick some up, gotta get south of the gulf of AK current though to target them
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    most el nino years a few gill netters will pick some up, gotta get south of the gulf of AK current though to target them
    Wow, that's sure interesting.
    Gillnets where, like in the Sound or out on the AKPen?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I don't know if any other tuna have been fishing, but Bill Parcells was spotted in Seward getting on a charter, with a couple of Homer guys still arguing that they really should fish there

So speaking of tuna I would like to go somewhere to fish for them before heading back to AK for the summer, any recommendations for the best tuna fishing areas?

I have a relative in AZ that often heads to San Diego for Tuna. Not sure how far out or south they go, but he's done quite well some times.

Quote Originally Posted by redleader View Post
    So speaking of tuna I would like to go somewhere to fish for them before heading back to AK for the summer, any recommendations for the best tuna fishing areas?
    Palapas Ventana would be a place to look at. You fish the sea of Cortez. The target fish are Dorado (June-Nov), Yellowfin tuna(August-Dec), Yellowtail(Jan-May), Cabrilla(all year), Sierra (Nov-May) , Pargo (all year), Wahoo (June-November), Striped Marlin, Blue marlin, Black marlin, and Sail Fish. You can also get into som big schools of GT's.

Trips out of Maui to Kahoolawe, Lanai, and Molokai can produce similar fish.

Just depends on where in the world you would like to go/afford.

never been tuna fishin, but have bought HUNDREDS of pounds of albacore out of Ilwaco for .75-1.25 per pound.
    quick frozen. always take along my two large ALL-AMERICAN pressure cookers and 15-20 cases of wide mouth pints.
    Albacore is the best canned (jarred) fish i have ever eaten.
    i have my own way that results in a 'dry' pack fish that has lasted as long as 8 years without degradation....have about 18 pints left in my long term pantry. GOOOD STUFF!!!!!

Mike Florez from Ninilcik Charters caught an Albacore sportfishing from Seward about 8 years ago. Little one mixed in with a school of Salmon. I saw it myself. It looked ...well dead also skinny and lost.....True story though...

Someone asked where to go; Kauai right now thru August. It's a little early for them, but last weekend my buddy got 2 out of 3 in the boat; a 140, 160, and the third got wise and cut the line somewhere around the trim tab. Another friend last Saturday got a 145.

Jim

I know some people who go to Thasis, BC each summer. When the conditions are right they catch albacore offshore.
    Ken (Tiderunner)

The Oregon coast for Tuna in August and September, Charters go out of Depot Bay, New Port, Winchester Bay, Only have to go 15 to 60 miles out most of the time. Limit 25 fish per day per person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast