Thread: 416 Ruger Alaskan

Default 416 Ruger Alaskan

Well after much research and thought I bought the 416 Ruger! I bought this for a brown bear hunt but also plan to hunt Africa some day. This gun has an excellent feel to it, I love the Hogue stock although I might be in the minority. The iron sights are excellent, the first 10 shots fired at 50 yards were off hand and I was able to keep the group the size of a softball, all hit point of aim with no adjustment. After shooting the rest of that box of ammo with the iron sights and feeling pretty comfortable with them, I put a Leupold VX3 1.5X5 on it. I have since put 40 rounds through it off the bench......not much fun after 5 or 6 rounds, but manageable. For everyone wondering what the recoil is like from this weapon, it can best be compared to a 3 1/2 12GA pump with heavy turkey loads! While this is substantial it is managable, but after 5 or 6 rounds it is hard to keep groups tight as with any bigbore off a sandbag! To combat flinching, a trick I learned years ago is to dry fire a couple of times inbetween groups. The recoil was definately less than I anticipated but still a pain to sight in!

Out of the box you could tell the fit and tolerances were not as tight as a "Browning". I am partial to the Browning A-Bolt but wanted the CRF for dangerous game. Soon after I got it home I put 3 rounds in the magazine and cycled them ......or tried to, the first one wedged in the chamber and never released from the feed rails. I read about this right when these hit the market a year or two ago. People were having this or a similar problem but I was hoping this problem was fixed! To my relief after studying this problem I found that there were some rough burrs on the bottom of the feed rails. I thought this must be the problem. I smoothed them out, and I oiled everything thoroughly tried it again andeverything works well. Extraction was supurb!

At the range I found if when the bullets were put into the magazine if they were pushed all the way forward and if you cycle a round very slowly it will still sometimes wedge a round in the chamber? On the other hand, if you put the rounds in and seat them all the way to the rear of the magazine (less than 1/16") and cycle the gun at "full speed" there are no problems. The action as with most guns is getting smoother every trip to the range. I just bought another 200 rounds of Hornady 400 gr. DGX. Once they have been shot with no issues I will feel "better" about this gun!

Once again I am used to a push feed Browning A-Bolt, which actions are as slick as a pealed onion right out of the box! So the CRF feed guns might just need to be shot several times to smooth everything out so to speak???

As far as groups.....I have shot 2" - 3" groups at 100 yards. This gun is capable of much better. Most groups would have 2 shot touching or almost touching and then 1 would be flyer which I am sure was human error. Or my shoulder saying thats enough!!!!

Overall, I like this gun, it should work great on any bear out to 200 yards, or anything in the world for that matter!!!!

One question I have is, I don't have acsess to a cronograph and am wondering what the factory 400 DGX loads are traveling out of a 20" barrel? I have heard 2200fps - 2375fps. Also, How much will say 100fps affect trajectory within 200 - 300 yards?

All The Best,

Chris

You can tame about any round with a life jacket making it a pleasure to shoot. Take a life jacket and turn it upside down and run your trigger finger arm through the opposite hole in the life jacket. Let the rest of the jacket stick up in the air and a large portion of it will be behind you. This will tame the recoil on about any gun you choose to shoot. After you get it sighted in in this manner always shoot a few rounds through it to make sure that nothing changes. You can do the bulk of your shooting in this manner and not worry as much about flinch, extending your shooting session from a few rounds to as many as you got time to let the barrell cool.

I learned this trick years ago when shooting turkey guns for friends trying to find the right choke tube and shell combination. It was a blessing when shooting the mossburg 3 1/2 inch chamber in the automatic pump models ( kicked so hard you automaticly pumped them on every shot).

If Ruger would make this in LH SS I'd be all over it! Not because I need one, but I think it'd be lots of grins.

Thanks for the report!

Chris,

Nice report on that rifle. Yes it seems the 416 had the same feed problems as the 375 for the same reasons. I have had the opportunity to shoot two of the Ruger 416's. Both the 20 inch version. I did chronograph the 400 grain Hornady loads and got 2256 fps on average.

As for trajectory out to 200 there would be little concern with a 125-150 yard zero but you'll need hold over for a 300 yard shot. I suggest you find a place to practice that distance. With a 150 yard zero I'd guess about 18" low with that bullet. I don't consider a 416 a 300 yard cartridge but 200 is certainly within reach and I've done that with other 416's. Enjoy your rifle....find a good McMillan stock, you'll never regret it.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

How is the recoil compared to a 375 Ruger? Obviously it would be more, but my 375 Ruger had a McMillan stock on it and it wasn't bad at all.

Murphy, thanks for the numbers. I was hoping they were comming out faster than 2256fps but oh well? Matt I don't know, I have never shot a 375 Ruger. The recoil is not bad when shooting off hand or standing up it's just pretty rough off the bench when sighting in. The factory stock defintley helps it has a great recoil pad! Cast Iron good idea I will have to try it, I know the LOP will be changed but still a good idea to get dialed in to begin with.

Thanks,

Chris

It works! Lets you get it close with no pain to shoulder. Had a few to laugh until they tried it. Now several of them include it in there shooting equipment.

I sighted in my 416 ruger Alaskan this afternoon with 400g factory rounds. I wasnt too proud and immediately laid to it using accessory recoil protection. I wanted a good solid flinch free session to get zero. It's a shooter and I anticipate when I get the dies and some 350 barnes ttsx bullets Ill have a nice iron to carry through bear country. I'm also looking forward to what it will do to a mt goat. Off hand it's fine to shoot. At the bench it's a hammer. Without recoil protection I'm good to five rounds, real good for field conditions.

When I was working up loads for a 300WM I was getting bruised so I got a recoil pad to put on over my t-shirt. MidwayUSA has a sale right now on a PAST Mag Plus recoil pad. This is the newer model than what I have. I can tell you that my recoil pad made shooting up to 100 rounds of 300WM in a couple hour range session an easily tolerable event with no residual bruising the next day. Don't get me wrong, my shoulder could tell I had punished it but I'd never have fired that many times without it. Cheap, effective, and not bulky. Give it a look and see if you could use this thing. It's normally $30 and right now it's $23...not bad for what it can do for you.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=284105

MyTime