Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who will be 1st to report a Bear kill on Kodiak?

Default Who will be 1st to report a Bear kill on Kodiak?

Anxiously awaiting some pictures and stories of Brown Bear on Kodiak Island. Come on guys, don't be shy. The BIG ones are coming out.

I was an assistant guide one spring on Kodiak. The outfitter told a story of an assistant he once hired that STUTTERED real bad. So this guy finds a Bear and takes the hunter to about 50 yards and says in a low voice "sch, sch, sch" all this time the hunter is waiting to hear shoot. Well the guy finally yells out "DECK THE MOFO"

I'm not sure, but I don't think the season is open yet... May explain a reluctance to post photos if someone did get one.

It's been open since the first of April. I've been watching too for Kodiak reports, I have a tag burning a hole in my pocket, have to wait a few more weeks though.

In general, has anyone heard reports on snowline etc? Watching weather reports and such.

And ya, post a pic of that first bear, having a hard time sleeping as it is, seeing some being taken, I'll never sleep at all. Just excited to head over there

I've got a tag burning a hole in my pocket too. I opted to go at the end of the season, but I'd sure love to be hunting right now!

Heh....... My bet's on a DLP.
    Now what ?

I'm thinking SUV or camper
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

The Radiation from Japan has melted all the snow and the bears hair is falling out in wads...the Big Boars all now look like Lions.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I didn't realize it opened April 1. Probably because I usually wait until the last two weeks in April... Good luck to everyone out there hunting spring brown bears, one of my favorite hunts.

Some of us gals are anxiously waiting to go also. Another week and a half. Wish me luck. Will be my first time. Can't wait.

I've only heard of one sighting and that was over a week ago. Spotted cruising the beach. Snow line is slowly receding with our recent rain and warmer temps. Still plenty of snow though.

Good luck to all those with tags. I'll be using mine during the final week.

I talked to Larry Vandale this morning and he said no bears harvested yet. A few sighted out on the south end. We need some rain, "No body likes to sleep in a wet bed". April 15 is usually the magic day to kick it all off.

Talked to Larry yesterday and he said there were two from Affognak and the wife's was the first and only one off Kodiak on the 13th. 9' 7" 27 1/8. Saw 4 in 5 days spread from 1/2 way up the mountain to the beach. Did'nt glass much after the 13th as we had our hands full getting him out. Sorry no pics.

PICS,PICS,PICS,PICS,PICS. With out PICS and good story, we are left to believe there is still no kill!!!!! :-)

Rastus, hope you don't mean you forgot the camera or the battery died.
    Great bear for the wife. how about some details? Would like to keep this at the top as I'm sure many more kodiak's will be taken.

Attachment 48037

Here's the story......
    After 3 days of Kodiak weather (rain/snow/wind) and setting up spike camp 2 miles from base, we were finally able to do some serious glassing. Day 5 - just before dark, we made the stalk to 185 yrds, 4 quick shots and it was over. He dropped 15 yrds from the first shot. The hardest part of the hunt was rolling him over for pictures and skinning. We gutted him that night and skinned the next morning.
    The highlight of the trip was being up to our elbows in bear grease with fleshing knives in hand on our 34 anniversary and knowing that just the 2 of us could still pull off a hunt like this.
    OLD FARTS RULE!!!!!

Ms. Rastus

Quote Originally Posted by ALASKA RASTUS View Post
    Attachment 48037

Here's the story......
    After 3 days of Kodiak weather (rain/snow/wind) and setting up spike camp 2 miles from base, we were finally able to do some serious glassing. Day 5 - just before dark, we made the stalk to 185 yrds, 4 quick shots and it was over. He dropped 15 yrds from the first shot. The hardest part of the hunt was rolling him over for pictures and skinning. We gutted him that night and skinned the next morning.
    The highlight of the trip was being up to our elbows in bear grease with fleshing knives in hand on our 34 anniversary and knowing that just the 2 of us could still pull off a hunt like this.
    OLD FARTS RULE!!!!!

Ms. Rastus
    For some reason the pic didn't post, and I am as excited as the rest of them so I figured I'd help. Here is the link to the "how to's" of posting pics on the forum...Hope it helps.

AZinAK

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...sting-Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by ALASKA RASTUS View Post
    Attachment 48037

OLD FARTS RULE!!!!!

Ms. Rastus
    Well, Ms. Rastus,...... I'd say, "You, and your guy, are definitely One Awe Inspiring team,"

Nicely done, and did you say, 34th birthday (?),...... Oh, Anniversary,.........!!
    Now that's Flat Out Hardcore

Very Cool story, hope we can get the pic in here, Congrats

PS What Caliber did you take it with?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Kodiakrain
    Did you try clicking on "Attatchment 48037"? (It is working on our computer)
    338 250 grain-barnes X (old style)

Rastus

I also had no luck opening the picture. Sure looking forward to seeing it though. Come on guys help him out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast