Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: Anyone running a CB radio out at their remote cabin?

  1. #1
    Member billy jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Wasilla AK
    Posts
    182

    Default Anyone running a CB radio out at their remote cabin?

    I just installed a CB in my 73 CJ5, and am getting kinda hooked on CB's. I was thinking when I get my cabin built that I want to put in a CB radio w/ NOAA WX band out there for emergencies and WX info. I read some Alaskan books and some of the old timers stated that they had radios to communicate between cabins etc. I'm thinking of running a solar panel to a battery to trickle charge it, and run my CB (base station) out from there. Antenna would basically be a long run of solid copper wire ran from outside the cabin, to a tall pine as far as I can get without dying. I'm about 15-20 miles west of Kashwitna/Willow.
    Any thoughts or experience?

    Billy Jack
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

  2. #2
    Member Music Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    ANC
    Posts
    1,244

    Default

    Many years ago everybody had CB but with cell phones no one has them any more. I still can't get good cell service so I'm going back to CB. Already have a tower and antenna, maybe this summer I will get around to installing the CB and kicker in the cabin, already have one in the boat.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

  3. #3
    Member Dirtofak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Creek
    Posts
    2,267

    Default

    I run VHF. Base at the cabin, hand helds in the boat or when remote. I do carry a cell for when it will work.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    If you use a long wire antenna as a CB antenna you will need a antenna tuner to match the radio to the wire. The tuner will cost you more than a CB antenna and will be less efficient. In the old days people use “HF” radios for communication 2 to 9 mhz they also use long wire antennas are you confusing CB and HF radio?

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    I still can't get good cell service so I'm going back to CB. Already have a tower and antenna, maybe this summer I will get around to installing the CB and kicker in the cabin, already have one in the boat.


    Music Man.

    Not knowing everything about your location or what you want to do, I think vhf would be a better way to go on your boat as far as cell service there are antenna and amplifiers that solve your problem.

    Just giving you something to think about.

  6. #6
    Supporting Member Old John's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billy jack View Post
    I just installed a CB in my 73 CJ5, and am getting kinda hooked on CB's. I was thinking when I get my cabin built that I want to put in a CB radio w/ NOAA WX band out there for emergencies and WX info. I read some Alaskan books and some of the old timers stated that they had radios to communicate between cabins etc. I'm thinking of running a solar panel to a battery to trickle charge it, and run my CB (base station) out from there. Antenna would basically be a long run of solid copper wire ran from outside the cabin, to a tall pine as far as I can get without dying. I'm about 15-20 miles west of Kashwitna/Willow.
    Any thoughts or experience?

    Billy Jack
    BJ
    you'd be better off to nail a CB antena to the top of a tall spruce tree close to your cabin... and then an SWR meter would help to tune the antenna to the CB... Some people used to run Chl 8 CB on the Yentna, b ut I think most of them have gone to an antenna for their cell phones.../John

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    952

    Default

    Who are you planning to talk to? If no one else has one anymore they aren't much good. There is cell coverage at our cabin and everyone pretty much uses cell phones to communicate (I say talk, but texting seems to be more popular).

  8. #8

    Default

    out on alexander we still have cb but really only used in the morning for the locals to make sure all are still kicking
    so only as a back up for real talk these days i have a smooth talker booster with a little 2 inch antenna under my eves for my cell phone a little spendy
    to start but it works no mater when i have called home

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    505

    Default

    You may want to look into ham radio. There is a pretty active ham community in Alaska with lots of 2 meter repeaters in the area, including one on top of Mt. Susitna that covers a pretty wide area.

    The test to get the basic license is pretty easy and you can find plenty of practice tests online for free. Just take them till you pass every time and then you will have no problem passing the exam for real. You do not need to know morse code anymore so if you want to move on to the higher classes of license they are pretty easy to get as well.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

  10. #10
    Member billy jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Wasilla AK
    Posts
    182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thehappyalaskan View Post
    out on alexander we still have cb but really only used in the morning for the locals to make sure all are still kicking
    so only as a back up for real talk these days i have a smooth talker booster with a little 2 inch antenna under my eves for my cell phone a little spendy
    to start but it works no mater when i have called home
    How remote is your place, where are you able to get reception, transmissions? I'm not familiar with Alexander area. I'd really just like it for the NOAA WX and the occasional chat. I plan on getting a cheap SW radio so I can tune in and get some good radio stations. My neighbor out there gets about 5 channels on his rabbit ears on his TV and good adio reception on his little SW radio too. I prefer to leave the cell phone off in my backpack unless it is an emergency.
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,293

    Default

    Lots of CB chatter on the Yentna and Alexander. You can set your watch by it. So much so I got tired of listening to the daily gossip and pitched the CB. Lots of friends still use them for local talk. I still have a 9' CB antenna on the roof. I could talk to friends that were 30 miles away. Problem is anyone else can hear. I didn't like that lack of privacy. A cell phone with a Wilson amp and the correct yagi will work well in most of the Su-Yentna drainage. If you have an old analog yagi and your phone has gotten intermittent, go to Frigid North and get a new digital-optimized antenna.

  12. #12

    Default

    Mr.Pid, What amp unit do you have for your cell?

  13. #13
    Member Dirtofak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Creek
    Posts
    2,267

    Default

    Maybe it is just me? I really don't like the thought of a cell phone ringing, chirping, playing weird music or even the VHF going crazy when I am at the cabin. I do like being able to contact someone in case of an emergency. I figure that people can walk to the top of the hill or ride their snowmachine 1/2 mile out on the lake if they absolutely have to make a call.

    Guys that have to call several times a day or have to spend an hour really annoy me at times. Why did they really come out to the cabin?

    Hens..... cackling like hens at times...... just slide your man card across the table!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

  14. #14
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Good morning, do yourself a favor, and invest in the proper antenna, you can fry your cb when transmitting, if you dont have an antenna hooked up, or are using an antenna without the correct resistive load. And dont buy a cheap model they would be almost worthless because the range is only a couple miles get something like a Cobra 29 LTD or better.






    Quote Originally Posted by billy jack View Post
    I just installed a CB in my 73 CJ5, and am getting kinda hooked on CB's. I was thinking when I get my cabin built that I want to put in a CB radio w/ NOAA WX band out there for emergencies and WX info. I read some Alaskan books and some of the old timers stated that they had radios to communicate between cabins etc. I'm thinking of running a solar panel to a battery to trickle charge it, and run my CB (base station) out from there. Antenna would basically be a long run of solid copper wire ran from outside the cabin, to a tall pine as far as I can get without dying. I'm about 15-20 miles west of Kashwitna/Willow.
    Any thoughts or experience?

    Billy Jack

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    Maybe it is just me? I really don't like the thought of a cell phone ringing, chirping, playing weird music or even the VHF going crazy when I am at the cabin. I do like being able to contact someone in case of an emergency. I figure that people can walk to the top of the hill or ride their snowmachine 1/2 mile out on the lake if they absolutely have to make a call.

    Guys that have to call several times a day or have to spend an hour really annoy me at times. Why did they really come out to the cabin?

    Hens..... cackling like hens at times...... just slide your man card across the table!
    My phone has an off switch but a very private number works fine. When my wife stays out by herself for a couple of weeks and the bugs are on the prowl she prefers to sit on the couch when she calls me with her wish list for the weekend. Seems like a simple thing to make my wife more comfortable.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    Mr.Pid, What amp unit do you have for your cell?
    My amplifier is a Wilson. It looks like the blue ones shown on this link but you need to get the amp that works with your cell service's frequency so get help from Wilson or Frigid North (mine is for ACS). I also now have one of the gray ones to try to get my ATT service to work. I think having iPhone service at the cabin would be fantastic. I didn't have any luck so far but as it turns out I've been using the wrong antenna. Frigid North got me the right antenna, now I just need to wait for summer to try it.

    http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/Pro...px?Category=10

  17. #17
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    867

    Default

    Very interesting thread. I used to work for a bush telephone coop and when we put phones in the villages they still hung on to the CB's just a part of life. That was 20+ years ago, and while I still spend time in one village during the summer some still have a VHF in the homes. If solitude and noise abatement is what you wish stay away from CDs and VHFs unless you plan to turn it off and on at will. What about a SPOT and just usse it to send "I'm Safe" text messages and emergency 911s. Get a Sat phone and use it for calling for info and ordering? You are covered in emergencies and contact to the real world on your terms... Just a thought.

    George

  18. #18

    Default

    billy jack alexander creek is basically at the base of sleeping lady i can get tv off a antenna out side for most channels
    and i agree with dirtofak about cell phone so mine is turned off except when i want call someone
    and the booster i use is from these guys
    https://www.smoothtalker.com/

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alexander Creek
    Posts
    1,192

    Default At Mr. Pid

    I guess us folks on the creek calling the old homesteaders in the morning and making thier day is a little too much for you city folk wanting a relaxing week huh?

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,293

    Default

    Sometimes, yes. We all have our reasons for being where we are. The community party line isn't my cup of tea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •