Thread: Who would want a full mount buffalo hide?

Default Who would want a full mount buffalo hide?

In about a month, I'm backing up my brother on a Spring BB hunt here on Kodiak. We've gone together to purchase a harvest permit from Saltery Creek Ranch to take one of their buffalo bulls over in Ugak Bay on the same hunt providing the buff isn't shedding. (If they are shedding, we'll wait till the fall when I have a draw BB for the same area.)

I am not interested in having a head or shoulder mount done, but instead I'll do a euro mount. The ranch owner and others have recommended I take advantage of the hides value. So here is the question:

Are there taxi's out there that would be interested in purchasing a raw hide? What would be the best way to go about locating someone interested?

I'd particularly think I might find someone that would be interested in the full hide including the skinned out hide from the head.

Thanks in advance!

Wow, is this an unusual idea? I'm surprised at the lack of responses.

I would be willing to take the hide off you and in exchange I'll do your bison euro mount free of charge. Im doing one right now and al horn mount for a guy in fairbanks.. The horn mount is quite interesting as the client wanted the hide tanned and used to cover the skull.. Looks pretty neat actually. should be finished with the panel sat-sun. Ill post some pics.\\

If interested PM me, and we can go from their on times, skinning, where to cut. etc..

Thanks,

Dahlbergs Taxidermy

Man, thats a great deal. I asked around to see if a taxidermist wanted to take the hide off my hands and they all told me there wasnt a big demand for Bison hides. I then looked into getting the hide tanned myself but was more cost than I was interested in spending. We ended up stripping the bones of every scrap of meat and I took the skull to Kodiak Bones and Bugs to get cleaned. The hide ended up out in the field with the gut pile. Van Dykes Taxidermy supply carried a nice plaque for Bison skulls you might want to look at for the skull when you get it back. Good luck on the hunt & have fun!!

Look forward to seeing the pictures Hoytguy. I'll take a look at them and go from there. I'm also toying with just getting the hide tanned at Moyles for myself. They did quite a bit of work for me years ago when I was trapping and hunting red and arctic fox. Also had them tan a reindeer hide. Their price for a buff hide is reasonable and about 1/2 or less than the amount that I'm seeing hides selling for. I appreciate the offer!

Thanks for the good luck wish CGSwimmer. I had another forum member contact me about this combo hunt, and I recommended he read your buffalo hunt thread. He might contact you about it.

I finished the panel yesterday.. I'll attach it later in the week and photograph try and get some pics posted up before the weekend.

Hoytman

Quote Originally Posted by HuntKodiak View Post
    Look forward to seeing the pictures Hoytguy. I'll take a look at them and go from there. I'm also toying with just getting the hide tanned at Moyles for myself. They did quite a bit of work for me years ago when I was trapping and hunting red and arctic fox. Also had them tan a reindeer hide. Their price for a buff hide is reasonable and about 1/2 or less than the amount that I'm seeing hides selling for. I appreciate the offer!

Thanks for the good luck wish CGSwimmer. I had another forum member contact me about this combo hunt, and I recommended he read your buffalo hunt thread. He might contact you about it.

IMG_1994.JPGIMG_1996.jpg

Here is the horn mount bison we spoke about. I just finished it tonight and will ship it tomorrow to Fairbanks. Very interesting idea the guy had. I took the job on over the phone..recieved the head in the mail in a frozen block of fur/head..kind of made me nervous..but once it thawed, I caped it out.. tanned the hide and once it started comming togeather it turned out pretty cool.. For someone with limited wall space, ceiling height this is a good alternative..

Default big front end

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    For someone with limited wall space, ceiling height this is a good alternative..
    I agree. My full frontal mount bison is almost the size of a queen size bed (floor space wise) and stands taller than I do. Still don't regret doing it, but it has created space-challenges inside the house(s) over the last 17 years.

After he was down, when I saw how beautiful his leggings were, I just couldn't bring myself to throw them away. For only 10% more taxidermy fee I could have had a full body mount, but the back end of a bison is rather unremarkable compared to his front.

Buffalo hides are virtually worthless, other than sentimental value. My sister in law shoots 1 or 2 pen bison in ND every year for meat and the rancher throws them behind the barn to rot if you don't want them. Kinda of a shame, but he can't find anybody to buy them.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

The problem is the HUGE cost of shipping a hide to and from the tannery. The tannery cost is pretty high too. I'm sure there would be much more interest if those costs weren't a factor
    PC gag in place.

My buddy had a shoulder mount done of hs Delta Bison. He had the back half tanned. It looks great hanging over the back of his couch! Thick fur. If I ever draw a tag, I'll do the same! To me, it's part of the bison trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    IMG_1994.JPGIMG_1996.jpg

Here is the horn mount bison we spoke about. I just finished it tonight and will ship it tomorrow to Fairbanks. Very interesting idea the guy had. I took the job on over the phone..recieved the head in the mail in a frozen block of fur/head..kind of made me nervous..but once it thawed, I caped it out.. tanned the hide and once it started comming togeather it turned out pretty cool.. For someone with limited wall space, ceiling height this is a good alternative..
    Thats pretty cool!

Thanks for the pics Hoytguy! I'm really wrestling with this one. I don't expect I'll take a lot of buffalo in my life so I don't want to look back and wish I'd done something different. Of course if I did, that just might mean I need to go get another.

My instinct is to go european, and I've done many of those myself. Since there doesn't seem to be a market for selling the hide, I may get it tanned for myself. Not just sure what I'm going to do yet, but thanks for the options and ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    My buddy had a shoulder mount done of hs Delta Bison. He had the back half tanned. It looks great hanging over the back of his couch! Thick fur. If I ever draw a tag, I'll do the same! To me, it's part of the bison trophy.
    I did the same thing and it looks great drapped over the bottom half of our bed. I also had the horns cast. I put the casted horns on the skull as a eruo mount and put the actual horns on the shoulder. Got a lot of miles out it one bison. The best trophy was served on the table. Yum! Yum!