Thread: Hunting Tents

Question Hunting Tents

Looking for recommendations for an all-weather hunting tent to accomodate 3 people for 2 weeks. Obviously need a tent that will hold up to our weather out here.

Sportsmans warehouse doesn't have much to chose from...they have 2 tents. One is about $600 and the other is close to a grand.

Cabelas has some nice ones; link to the bighorn tent below: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...002&id=0005870

Barney's has a "bombshelter" for $900.

Has anyone used any of these tents, and if so could you provide comments?

what conditions will it be used in? how much do you want to spend? how heavy do you want to be?

I have a 4 season wlarus and love it.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default response to question

Quote Originally Posted by highcountry View Post
    what conditions will it be used in? how much do you want to spend? how heavy do you want to be?
    Conditions are a Sept Moose hunt near Fairbanks.
    How much to spend...500-900 bucks
    Will be carrying it on ATV...so weight is not a huge factor
    Last edited by bgreania; 03-02-2007 at 18:55. Reason: to answer a question

Default Tent

I use the following web site to look for equipment and then search the web for the best price. Here is the latest tent I purchased for my sheep hunt this year. http://www.backcountry.com/store/BAG...ml?id=tP9HimCs

This web site is good for sorting through differrent gear to find what you like. It is from Backpacker magazine . http://www.gearfinder.com/
    Hope this helps, Good luck.

I use the Big Horn and am very impressed.

It has been in several 80 to 100 mph storms while Goat hunting in the Misty's.

It does get some condensation in very wet weather and while drying out clothes and gear.

But a good fire in the Sheepherder stove will take care of that.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...1&d=1172894140
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by bgreania View Post
    Conditions are a Sept Moose hunt near Fairbanks.
    How much to spend...500-900 bucks
    Will be carrying it on ATV...so weight is not a huge factor
    I use the alaknak 12x12 w/stove on drive in hunts and it is nice having heat! the wood is nice and dry. my tent has seen a few storms of 50 mph with no ill effects. the bulk is a bit much, but if you got wheels it is great, I would expect the bighorn to be a smidge less bulky, and even warmer as the celing is lower. I wold buy it again tomarrow.

I have the denali xwt in 10x10 and it is pretty decent too,a lot less weight/bulk but if you are hauling it in might as well have a wood stove, the xwt will surely take worse weather, but I dont doubt the alaknak.

Default Cabelas Guide Series

We used a six man Cabelas Guide Series tent for a fall moose hunt. We had the one with the aluminum poles in outfitter camo. It weighs 26 lbs and is huge inside. A grown man can stand up and get dressed, I put it up by myself severals times with no trouble. There are many great tents but this one worked well for us. Did not leak a drop and no condensation.

Steve

Default wood stove

Even though it weighs about 60 lbs or so it sure is nice to have a wood stove on a Goat hunt.

On this hunt we had to go to the valley below the tent and pack wood up !!!!!

3 persons can stretch out on pads on the floor and have plenty of room for gear.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...1&d=1172899774
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up Tent Recommendation

I'd go with either the Arctic Oven from Alaska Tent and Tarp, or the 10x10 Bombshelter from Barney's.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Johnnie, you da man for gettin that house up the hill. I sure hope you had some help.
    I gotta say that if the Muskeg Man is reccommending that tent for where he hunts it's got to be good for the rest of the world.

Default Packing it !!!

Thanks for the kind words Alasken .... my partner, Bobby Warren, went out ahead of the hunts and packed it up. Took several loads. But it was well worth it. That enabled us to reach out farther with a spike camp.

I didn't expect the tent to last through the night, one night, because of hurricane force winds ..... but it made it.

But like I also said during heavy rains ... like 4 to 7 days non-stop, horizontal ... and drying out raingear, firewood and wet boots and such .... there is some condensation because of the lack of ventilation in the peak of the tent. A good hot fire drys thing out nice though.

I'm sure it's not the quality of a Bomb Shelter or Arctic Over but it's not the price either ... for it's size.

Default Goat tent

I gotta say Muskeg, that sure looks pretty comfey for a goat hunt! Did you treat Davey to that hotel when he hunted with you several years ago?

Thumbs up Artic oven

If weight isn't a problem,

http://www.alaskatent.com/products/tents/arctic_oven.htm#about

Go to the web site read on them. Never have condisation and can heat up in minutes with just a cook stove if you don't have a wood stove. They can take any weather as well.

Default Hunting Tent

I have been using the Cabelas Alaskan Guide Model 6 Man Tent for years. I have used it in as my main hunting tent all around Alaska, and it has served me very well. I usually hunt with two other guys, and this 6 man tent provides tons of space for everyone.

If you get this one, be sure to have a practice session in the yard with your hunting pals before you go to the field. It is very easy to setup, but if you and your hunting partners have never set it up before, it will be hell in a rainstorm!

I think you can get this tent with vestibule for under $450 from Cabelas.

Tod