Thread: Need advice Silver fishing

Default Need advice Silver fishing

Hi,
    I've been to the Kenai Peninsula a few times and have never fished for Silvers in the August/September time frame. I would like to fish for halibut too. I was thinking about combos trips out of Seward. Is silver fishing any good out of Homer? I would appreciate any recommendations for dates and or locations and charter outfits.

Thanks in Advance

You can catch silvers at that time in August and probaby even through Labor Day weekend in Seward. The numbers of silvers milling around the bay and other areas in the vicinity are normally very good and the fishing can be hot. Seward has nice combos for silvers, halibut, rockfish, and lings during August. Homer has good fishing too. I have fished both and consider either place excellent. They both have their own unique flavor and I think you should go to both places. Depending on run timing, the silvers could be thick in the Kenai at that time.

A couple of years ago my wife & I fished the first week of August out of Seward. The silver fishing was fantastic & a few kings also. Halibut was alittle disappointing size wise (compared to fishing at Deep Creek) plus the run out to the halibut grounds was quite long (almost 2 hours if I remember correctly). Did catch our limit, but largest on the boat was a 31#. Caught some black sea bass also.
    We would recommend that time & would do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by crowr View Post
    Hi,
    I've been to the Kenai Peninsula a few times and have never fished for Silvers in the August/September time frame. I would like to fish for halibut too. I was thinking about combos trips out of Seward. Is silver fishing any good out of Homer? I would appreciate any recommendations for dates and or locations and charter outfits.

Thanks in Advance
    Silver/Halibut is good out of Seward, Homer and Kenai Pen area like Ninilchik. I like Pony Cove, short boat trip from Seward myself. Valdez for silvers is my fav though. Of course, I have a few "old" halibut holes I know of to hit there also. But ya, you can't go wrong out of Seward, and there's plenty of operators to chose from.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

I've always had good luck with a blue hoochie on a double hook rig. Red hooks...but then again, with it was probably the bait...

Lower Kenai Penninsula hands down. You have three beautiful rivers to fish ( Anchor, Ninilchik, and Deep Creek) vs. a small stretch of the Ressurection River in Seward that they just opened up a few years ago. You can get charters out of the Anchor Point or Deep Creek Tractor launches, or Homer of course. The boat ride out of Seward can be almost three hours each way and the weather that time of year is worse there. Twice I've taken a charter that timeframe out of Seward only to get all the way out to the mouth of the bay and have to turn around and go back because it was too rough outside. You can also try for steelheads in the Anchor or Deep Creek then. Catch and release only but what an incredible experience!! Check out our website for more detailed information and give us a call if you need some advice or a nice place to stay. I have fished up here for 30 years and love this area so much we moved here 5 years ago. Have a great trip.
    Brian
    Anchor River Lodge