Thread: May trout

Default May trout

First time fishing for trout and wondering how to go about it. Is it only worthwhile to fly fish for them or are there other lures that would work? I currently have some baitcasting and spincasting setups, so if there is something I can just tie one and go with, please let me know. I would be fishing mostly the Little Su and some small lakes.

Fish the edges of the ice and creek out lets with small spinners and minnow baits if you're spinning or bait casting. If fly fishing, use smolt patters, nymphs, and leeches at creek mouths.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Thanks, raptor. Haven't gotten into fly fishing yet and haven't saved the $ to get a decent setup, so I will be trying with the spinning and baitcasting reels for now.

Trout fishing (for me) on the little sue is tough. There does not seem to be a lot of trout in there and they are tough to find. When we float the little su in the fall from houston to burma we might only catch a total of about 15 trout the whole trip. I wish you luck though and please post any results you have, hope you do well.

you can fish flies under a casting bubble too
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by snowcrab24 View Post
    Trout fishing (for me) on the little sue is tough. There does not seem to be a lot of trout in there and they are tough to find. When we float the little su in the fall from houston to burma we might only catch a total of about 15 trout the whole trip. I wish you luck though and please post any results you have, hope you do well.

I hear the salmon push trout upstream, any truth to that? Maybe that's why you didn't get into many fish, or maybe it's fished out.
    In the interest of not hotspotting, this may or may not have been caught on the little su, between the parks and millers reach road. On a fly on a spinning rod in june, maybe.

too many hints scott knock it off already!

Release Lake Trout

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    too many hints scott knock it off already!
    I should have prefaced it by saying I floated that stretch 5 other times last summer without catching a fish.

Mostly I was trying to find out if the salmon really push the trout upstream.