Thread: Fuel check valve in Osprey

Default Fuel check valve in Osprey

I have a 1996 Osprety Fisherman and am having some potentially intermittent issues with maybe fuel delivery. I'll be testing this this spring once I get on the water. If it does prove to be a fuel issue with the pickup, tank debris, or check valve, how would one access these?

I'm looking for Osprey owners to sound off or someone else with experience. At this time, I think the only thing I can think of would be via a deck plate access panel for the fuel gauge.

Looking for ideas or solutions.. thanks!

Dan

Your Osprey should have a round deck plate that will allow you to access the fuel pickup tube. You'll have to remove a hose clamp and pull the fuel line off of the check valve (anti-siphon). The fuel pickup tube threads into the aluminum tank. The check valve threads into the pickup tube. My pickup tube had a mesh screen on the submerged end. More than one person recommended removing it. I had a similar experience and ended up replacing the electric fuel pump/cooler assembly after an eventual no-start while on the water. What enginge do you have? Fuel injected? TBI or MPI?

I have a ford carb based motor. Just wanted to make sure that I was, if it ends up being the issue once isolated, that I was planning on attacking it correctly. Thanks!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Your Osprey should have a round deck plate that will allow you to access the fuel pickup tube. You'll have to remove a hose clamp and pull the fuel line off of the check valve (anti-siphon). The fuel pickup tube threads into the aluminum tank. The check valve threads into the pickup tube. My pickup tube had a mesh screen on the submerged end. More than one person recommended removing it. I had a similar experience and ended up replacing the electric fuel pump/cooler assembly after an eventual no-start while on the water. What enginge do you have? Fuel injected? TBI or MPI?
    I would get rid of the screen in the end of the pickup tube. do this by simply cutting it off your pickup tube but make sure and make your cut at a 45 degree angle so you don't suck right off the bottom of your tank.

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Ditto to what was previously said. Make sure you do this in a ventilated area, gas tank are volatile and burn/explode/kill people every year. I helped a friend once with a similar "junk in the tank" problem. It was a 20 year old boat and we found a coffee cup full of sand, bugs, and dirt that would completely cut of all fuel when the boat would rock. We ended up pulling the screen, but ADDED an in-line fuel filter on his system. Worked like a charm!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather