Thread: Tangle Lakes 1st week of July

Default Tangle Lakes 1st week of July

I am taking my family (we live in Minnesota) to Tangle Lakes for some fly fishing this summer. We are all brand new to the sport and unfarmiliar with the territory. I used to go there every summer (I grew up in Fairbanks) when I was young but have not been back in... well, decades (man I am old). Our goal is to concentrate on Greyling and Dollys but any hooked fish is a fun one. Any Tips, Tricks, Strategies, Techniques or Advise would be greatly appriciated.
    Also we are renting an RV for the trip and are wondering how tough it will be to get a site there or if we would be better off staying up the road at Paxon.
    Please consider me a completely ignorant wretch who would benefit from the smallest details.

First camping...You should be able to get a site at tangle lakes......Even if you cant....There are so many pull outs that you can stay in in your RV. I have never caught any dollys there but the grayling will be great on tangle and also on rock creek just a couple miles down the road.... 0-1 mepps on ultra light spinning gear....As far as flies go if you got it....throw it....3-4 wt rod....floating line 4 lb leader....skeeters..black gnat...nymphns....I mean they will hit just about anything. FYI My wife and I got married on Tangle Lakes at the lodge. It is closed now...Tangle River Inn is still open too right before the river......
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

no dollies, but there are lake trout, bring bug dope
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    First camping...You should be able to get a site at tangle lakes......Even if you cant....There are so many pull outs that you can stay in in your RV. I have never caught any dollys there but the grayling will be great on tangle and also on rock creek just a couple miles down the road.... 0-1 mepps on ultra light spinning gear....As far as flies go if you got it....throw it....3-4 wt rod....floating line 4 lb leader....skeeters..black gnat...nymphns....I mean they will hit just about anything. FYI My wife and I got married on Tangle Lakes at the lodge. It is closed now...Tangle River Inn is still open too right before the river......
    You are one lucky man.My Fiancee wouldnt agree to a wedding at tangle lakes...
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Quote Originally Posted by Albradley View Post
    You are one lucky man.My Fiancee wouldnt agree to a wedding at tangle lakes...
    Grayling fishing in the morning.....Married in the afternoon.....then got lucky that night.......What a day

Oh yea......Bug dope....more bug dope then more bug dope.....Monkey is not kidding there

I have caught a few lake trout in tangle lake myself......I was throwing mepps spinners where the river dumps into the lake....Biggest there was 27"

Oh and dont forget Bug dope

Grayling fishing in the morning.....Married in the afternoon.....then got lucky that night.......What a day

Oh yea......Bug dope....more bug dope then more bug dope.....Monkey is not kidding there

I have caught a few lake trout in tangle lake myself......I was throwing mepps spinners where the river dumps into the lake....Biggest there was 27"

Oh and dont forget Bug dope
    I was going to ask if there was any fishing going on that day...............wasn't sure if you would go fishing, get married fish some more and then get lucky or what?????????

Yeah, the bug dope was definatly on my list. In my old age Ive forgotten alot of my childhood but you never forget the skeeters... and gnats... and no see ums. Thanks for the advise. Its been 10 years since my last trip home so we're trying to do this one up rite. 1/2 day Kenai river charter in Soldotna, 1/2 day halibut in Homer. We're also doing a wildlife/glacier watching cruise in Whittier. Do you know of any good trout streams in that area?

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    I was going to ask if there was any fishing going on that day...............wasn't sure if you would go fishing, get married fish some more and then get lucky or what?????????
    She did squash the idea of my going fishing after our wedding dinner.....Believe me I did ask....I got the look....Never brought it up again

Hey dog....Which area are you referring to for trout fishing......Whitter I dont know anything.....There are alot of trout fishing available all over the Kenai peninsula during that time of the year....It all depends on time and money of course

She did squash the idea of my going fishing after our wedding dinner.....Believe me I did ask....I got the look....Never brought it up again

Hey dog....Which area are you referring to for trout fishing......Whitter I dont know anything.....There are alot of trout fishing available all over the Kenai peninsula during that time of the year....It all depends on time and money of course
    LOL Yes the dreaded look...It happens mostly when a man ask a woman something apparently so crazy there must be something wrong with us...Hehehe I have recieved the "Look" many times in my young life.

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Not trying to hijack the thread but I have finally convinced my future bride instead of a honeymoon in italy,To travel the most romantic location known to man(Keyword:Man) ALASKA.I am very excited.Tangle lakes is definitely in the cards.As well as anchorage so she can be pampered while I wait for her.

I will be in Soldotna for a couple of days. we're doing a 1/2 day charter for Kings but I thought it would be nice to find a quiet place to wet a line away from the fray. We'll also be in Homer for 2 days. I'm trying to give my family as much of the state as they can take in for the limited time we'll be there

If you want to have a more enjoyable time on the Denali,id suggest going before the 4th of july weekend. The Denali is pretty busy then,and I think the fishing better before as the ice goes out and clears.