Thread: Unalaska Alaska

Default Unalaska Alaska

My family and I are moving up this June and I still looking for the right job as of yet. I work in the IT world and have a few prospects in the Anchorage area. I notice today in craigslist that there is an opening for the fishing company for a net admin. So the question is have you, are you or would you live in Unalaska. It appears to pay well and even help with relocating.

For those who have been there, what can I except for hunting, fishing and such?

Thanks

On a side note I would rather not be in downtown Anchorage but away from the city, the only reason I have been looking there is due too what I do for a living.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by kantill View Post
    My family and I are moving up this June and I still looking for the right job as of yet. I work in the IT world and have a few prospects in the Anchorage area. I notice today in craigslist that there is an opening for the fishing company for a net admin. So the question is have you, are you or would you live in Unalaska. It appears to pay well and even help with relocating.

For those who have been there, what can I except for hunting, fishing and such?

Thanks

On a side note I would rather not be in downtown Anchorage but away from the city, the only reason I have been looking there is due too what I do for a living.
    Housing in Dutch can be quite hard to come by. Make sure you know what you are getting into before committing to going out there. I'm not aware of hunting opportunities on the island, maybe some small game and birds? By the way, there's not enough money in the world to make me take a job in Dutch!!!
    Last edited by Frostbitten; 04-05-2011 at 14:14. Reason: more info

10 years fishing and crabbing out of Dutch... I wouldn't take my family there. Might have changed since I left in 96, but that's my take from when I was there. Very little to no hunting there. Some decent sport fishing. No trees. Good Luck!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

I haven't been to Dutch, but know people who have lived there, and those that have worked there. I would never consider raising a family there.

As to Anchorage, I thought I'd never live there, now we're looking at buying a house in town (well the edge of town) You'd be suprised how much of Alaska you can enjoy from Anchorage, and when you weigh out the pros/cons, especially to the lower 48, it isn't a bad place at all.

Thanks for the feed back guys. I had some reservations about it and thats why I want some "local" opinions on it. I am sure that there are some who love it there but we are moving to Alaska to experience the hunting, fishing and such and it is not that I wouldn't want to see the inlands but may not live there. Again thanks