Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: need the forums help on barbless hook advocacy

Default need the forums help on barbless hook advocacy

I am doing a research paper and media presentation on the advocacy for barbless hooks. I have some good information but I need some pictures to illustrate the damage done to the fish. If anybody has or can take pictures of injured fish and please post them here it would be a huge help. It will be a 5 min power point presentation and I can post it here or provide a link when its done at the end of the semester. Anybody with any personal experience is welcome to post it with the understanding that it may be used as part of my presentation.

Sometimes people here are kinda shaky about new members asking for pictures on their first post.

Here on the Internet you never know if the picture you furnish today will be featured on PETA's sea kitten page tomorrow. Nuthin' personal, I'm just sayin'.

Welcome to the forum.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default Family Man Is Right

Dude,
    Think about what you are asking people to do here.
    Send you a picture of a mutilated fish ,probably the more damage done the better,
    for your term paper.
    Send you personal information about how (sic) well mutilated said fish is and details for you to publish or at least make public.
    I have to think all the fisherman on this forum are thoughtful and careful handling the fish they catch knowing that it is a precious resourse not to be abused.
    I also have to believe we all go out of our way to protect this resourse for the future of the fishery and our childrens futures as well.
    If we do damage to a fish,which will happen at times,we harvest said fish for consumption.Even catch and release guys try to be careful handling their catch.
    What are other's thoughts on this ?
    INISLDER--I'm not trying to bust your bubble with this reply...and I wish you luck on your paper.I do use barbless hooks,not always,but when required or if I'm doing C&R.I also eat most of what I catch.

I agree with FamilyMan and Mark here.

Um yeah I am right there with you Mark............besides your process here is flawed........can't prove every fish injured is because of a hook.........so your project is.... well very misleading. Don't get me wrong I think brabless hooks are a good idea and I do think they case more harm then good if you are C/R fishing. I think if you want pics of fish like that, you should ask the commercial guys instead of the people here, since the pics you are seeking wont represent the truth and your just looking for injuried fish.
    Good luck on your project though, and I do comend you for intent.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    Um yeah I am right there with you Mark............besides your process here is flawed........can't prove every fish injured is because of a hook.........so your project is.... well very misleading. Don't get me wrong I think brabless hooks are a good idea and I do think they case more harm then good if you are C/R fishing. I think if you want pics of fish like that, you should ask the commercial guys instead of the people here, since the pics you are seeking wont represent the truth and your just looking for injuried fish.
    Good luck on your project though, and I do comend you for intent.

I am a barbless guy....I have caught many fish with jacked up mouths but I generally dont take pics of them or if they are picture worthy Ill change the angle or whatever to not show it......I also commend you on your project and would like to see the results....We have had some serious pissing contests on here and on other forums over this issue......Good Luck
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

This topic also would tend to be on what types of fish that were targeted.

I know that a hungry Grayling will swallow the thing as will a salmon, and then it is a mute point. Your better off keeping these fish than letting them go after cutting the line.

If they are caught in the lip, little or no damage is done.

You could argue that a fish that swallows a hook and was by law forced to be released that it would be wanton waste. Yes I know the reson they let them go, ( they might be able to make it to the spawing grounds and do there thing, but some of them wont after the fight they just went through. After a 30 minuite fight with a hook in your gut, I think your trip has pretty much ending. lol)

As far as pics, type it into any search engine and you will find 1000's of them, good luck.

lol your right, I did not think about it from that angle. My angle is I'm a UAA student with a paper to write and I am a fly fisherman so I'm not going to write about the homeless or domestic problems or some other local issue. I want to see healthy happy fish on the end of my line. Its an english 111 class of about 15 freshman. I'm not looking for personal information. I'm trying to illustrate a point that most college kids won't have been exposed to.

Little info about myself, I'm a cabinet maker here in Anchorage currently working on programing a CNC router for a countertop shop part time. Full time student looking to get a bachelors in Engineering.

I could pull random pics off google but I wanted this as legit as possible. Stories are just as important if not more than pics as the previous posters have stated its all circumstantial. There is no way to tell how the damage was done. Target fish is trout. These are the most likely sport fish to be released, at least by me. I'm just looking to educate some youngsters on a local issue that they could impact by using a barbless hook. I have no wayward intentions. If you would feel more at ease you may pm your story or pic to me or email them straight to my student gmail at kegetting@alaska.edu

I realize there are flaws in the scope of my research but its a freshman english paper discussed with potential young fishermen women. This won't be published or even read outside the class room. I'mjust hoping to get a discussion going with the people in the class so that they at least know there is an issue at hand that deserves attention and maybe this discussion will continue for them outside class.
    I just recently picked up a 16' cataraft at the sportsmans show so I would like to do my own field research lol, as soon as the snow stops falling. cheers

Quote Originally Posted by INISLDR View Post
    Little info about myself, I'm a cabinet maker here in Anchorage currently
    Great introduction, thank you both for that, and for persevering despite the chilly reception from your first post. I wish you the best, and its likely that most all members here do too I'd wager. Please forgive some of the jadedness that you received, from me included in post #2 above. (+1 sent)

Please post pictures of your "field research" when you do get a chance to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by INISLDR View Post
    ...I want to see healthy happy fish on the end of my line...
    Truly amusing! Have someone hang you by your lip while they play with you by yanking you around for a while, and let's see how happy and healthy you are afterwards.
    C&R... sheesh!

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Truly amusing! Have someone hang you by your lip while they play with you by yanking you around for a while, and let's see how happy and healthy you are afterwards.
    C&R... sheesh!

I've seen a few girls who'd love just what you described
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

C&R... sheesh!
    It's this type of division and attitude within the fishing community that give's those anti Peta freaks ammunition in their fight against those of us who:
    A/ like to fish for sport
    B/fish for a living whether it be guiding or commercial
    C/fish for food.
    It is best if you don't agree with others ways of fishing to just hold your tongue and ignore it and go about your business of catching or not catching and utilizing fish in your preferred manner.
    All this infighting between the catch and keep, C&R, charter and commercial fishermen needs to stop or one day the antis will win and your fish dinner will be a pile of tofu in the shape of a fish.

Bon Appetit!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    It's this type of division and attitude within the fishing community that give's those anti Peta freaks ammunition in their fight against those of us who:
    A/ like to fish for sport
    B/fish for a living whether it be guiding or commercial
    C/fish for food.
    It is best if you don't agree with others ways of fishing to just hold your tongue and ignore it and go about your business of catching or not catching and utilizing fish in your preferred manner.
    All this infighting between the catch and keep, C&R, charter and commercial fishermen needs to stop or one day the antis will win and your fish dinner will be a pile of tofu in the shape of a fish.

Bon Appetit!!!!
    Aw, ease off my Canadian friend. I took exception to the "happy and healthy" statement. While I am not a C&R guy (if I can't keep, I don't fish), I never would state my distaste for C&R on anything other than a forum like this... with other fishermen... and I don't even do that very often. In front of the the anti-s, I stand with fishermen who both C&K and C&R because I know that the the anti-s are a force to be reckoned with.

I won't be catching any of your rainbows... I don't like to eat them much.
    I won't be catching any more lakers for a while... but the last one I caught sure tasted good!
    Salmon, dollies, pike and halibut are not safe around me.

BTW, even the die hard C&R advocate AK PM caught my humor, did you notice?

INISLDR, we're already drifting into a discussion that is replayed often on these forums: the pros/cons or C&R. You'll likely get much more info in this context than you'll get "fishing" for pics of gnarled fish.

I'm tolerant of C&R, I even practice it sometimes. But if you want to force me into C&R (without a valid reason), then we have a problem.

Aw, ease off my Canadian friend. I took exception to the "happy and healthy" statement. While I am not a C&R guy (if I can't keep, I don't fish), I never would state my distaste for C&R on anything other than a forum like this... with other fishermen... and I don't even do that very often. In front of the the anti-s, I stand with fishermen who both C&K and C&R because I know that the the anti-s are a force to be reckoned with.

I won't be catching any of your rainbows... I don't like to eat them much.
    I won't be catching any more lakers for a while... but the last one I caught sure tasted good!
    Salmon, dollies, pike and halibut are not safe around me.

My bad!!! I didn't know there was a filter on this site to prevent the anti's from looking at it.
    Sorry.

C/K, or C/R what does it matter??????? We are each entitled to fish how we want to. I don't like the taste of any fish except halibut. So I pretty much release every thing I catch except reds, because my mom likes them to smoke. As long as the regs allow retention each and every one of us have that right. If we choose not to keep fish that is our right too. And if you complain it is a case of the POT CALLING THE KETTLE BLACK. People pick and choose were they do both. But I will say that if you are going to C/R it would be nice if you use a barbless hook........but if you choose not to that is your choice, and like I said before I comend this guy for writing a paper on this.

A fisherman is a fisherman is a fisherman!

Good luck on your paper INISLDR.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    My bad!!! I didn't know there was a filter on this site to prevent the anti's from looking at it.
    Sorry.
    C&R controversy is probably the smallest of controversies we have on this site. If a greenie looks for controversies they can find it on the nearly any forum here. If they can'y find any, they'll make it up!

Actually I don't C&R salmon in freshwater (except by accident), If I'm not gonna eat em I'm not gonna fish for em, just not very sporting.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

C&R... sheesh!
    I'm asking for your help to educate the younger generations to preserve what we have. Through education we can make sure that what we have is healthy and as pure as possible.

Injured fish are prone to disease and parasites. We don't want that for dinner do we?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast