Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BOG Approves nonres moose hunt in 16B - talk about stirring emotions!

Default BOG Approves nonres moose hunt in 16B - talk about stirring emotions!

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-Board-of-Game

Above link should take you to summary of changes adopted by the Board of Game during the last two March meetings for Region II and IV.

Pertinent quote is:
    Unit 16B, extend general season to end Sept. 25, open nonresident season of Aug 25-Sept 15. Also changed the dates of the winter Tier II hunts to Dec. 15-Mar 31 (this does not take effect until winter of 2012.

I could rant on this for pages...truly boggles the mind.
    Sigh,

wow, guess they figure they'll be killin' more bears...or its just politics..unit 13 reopened for non res but it went straight to drawing when it reopened.
    a few other interesting changes but not any that i'm real familiar with.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

yeah, pretty much crap IMO, goes from no general season because of low numbers to open to the world in 3 years or so, did the numbers rebound that quick?
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I thought moose were scarce in 16b and we had to kill off some bear to save the little baby moose??

Where are the abundance management this, state consitution that, puttin food on the our tables folks at on this? Snare the pesky bears to guarantee more moose on hard workin' Alaskans tables and all that. Or are we selling those plentiful moose to non-residents?

If there are enough moose to open nonresident season do we still need to snare bear? Or? Do we need to snare more bear TO SUPPORT an open nonresident season? Which one?

Earl,
    Two moose survived. Gotta allow a non-resident a shot at those two moose. Otherwise it's just NOT FAIR.
    I'm picturing the transporters updating their sites to include non-resident unguided trophy moose hunts.
    What a shock some hunters are in for...

Taylor

Well the time is now available to question the Re appointments of several board members.

Senate Resources is hearing board confirmations next week. Do you have any comments on the nominees?

http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/get_hearing.asp?session=27&Chamb=S&Date1=040411&Da te2=040611&Comty=res&Root=&Sel=1&Button=Display

Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Jeff Stepp, Legislative Staff
    Office of Senator Joe Paskvan
    Alaska State Capitol, Room #115
    Juneau, AK 99801

email: jeff.stepp@legis.state.ak.us
    Direct Line: (907) 465-4747
    Office: (907) 465-3709
    Fax: (907) 465-4714
    Vice Chair Ted Sparker has made it clear to the public, that Unorganized public testimony is worthless. He sets the agenda and others follow. The new Unconfirmed Nate Turner follows Ted like a puppy, as does our member from Bethel. Stosh Hoffman being the token native will likely be reconfirmed though his presence on the board of game has yet to be adequately explained by anyone. He not only follows Sprakers lead, he in three years has not said more then 5 complete sentences regarding Alaska game management. One would recall that it was Ted Spraker, as ADFG biologist; began the antler restriction movement across the state. His own "training Video, Is this bull legal" claims that SF bulls were an anomaly to the system. And yet this year the KP reports that SF make up 75% of the recruitment.

It is understood that all members walk in to those meetings with some sort of agenda. It is also very clear that the only agenda that will be passed is the one they walk in with. The meeting is a formality for the record. The decisions are being made outside of them, long before the meeting begins.

you need to follow the money to see why some of these decisions are getting made.
    squab (probably of Scandinavian descent; skvabb, meaning "loose, fat flesh") is a young domestic pigeon or its meat

Well stated, squab. Well stated.

I've attended only ONE dog and pony show and it was not time well spent.

Taylor

Seems like when ever one of these mind numbing decisions are made you wonder, where does the money trail lead to? Unfortunately as long as this system is in place there seems to be no hope of ever seeing across the board management purely in the best interest of the species in question and the sustainment of hunting for those who reside here.

Post #6 by Squab.....
    ...and just about one month ago (or was it two), under your other forum name, Akres, you were praising the members of this Board Of Game.

Wow we are over in 16B last year and I sure in hell don't remember seeing any of you over there hunting how do I know cause we were the only boat on that river for 2 plus days! And we sure in the hell didn't see any moose either! Point of the story "IF" you guys are not over there hunting what makes you think non-residents are going to take off over there to hunt????

Business as usual. Very, very disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by 68 Bronco View Post
    Business as usual. Very, very disappointing.

How is this dissapointing? Only way to hunt that unit is A. By boat need a big one to get across the inlet or B. by plane, plain and simple. If there are moose their good luck finding them in that thick @$$ country. We ran that river I won't tell you which one but we ran it, we glassed not one moose saw a **** load of bear tracks. I can't wait for the 1st person to pipe in saying you don't need a big boat I would not run the inlet in anything smaller than 20 footer and that is being brave. During calm water yeah no probelms when we went across thier were 4 foot swells and well I figured I was going to die that night LOL but we made it across. Also I'm not a boat expert where is broncoformudv at...

Transporters will sell hunts from Anchorage and Kenai because they can get there in an hour or less.

There are not enough moose over there for the residents to hunt it, let-alone non-residents.

There's been lots of "wringing of hands" over when that would open again to non-resident hunters. Opportunity will turn to money.

Taylor

I spent a little time over there last year but only in one specific area. In two trips I only saw 4 moose and little moose sign but more bear sign than I have seen anywhere else in the state.

Looks to me like someone is going to make some money off of this and all of us are going to have to listen to more disaponted post by non residents that get swindled on guided or non guided drop hunts.

If you don't have a plane but have a boat then head on over and get a bear or two or three and help the poor moose out! Just don't go to my honey hole.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    How is this dissapointing? Only way to hunt that unit is A. By boat need a big one to get across the inlet or B. by plane, plain and simple. If there are moose their good luck finding them in that thick @$$ country. We ran that river I won't tell you which one but we ran it, we glassed not one moose saw a **** load of bear tracks. I can't wait for the 1st person to pipe in saying you don't need a big boat I would not run the inlet in anything smaller than 20 footer and that is being brave. During calm water yeah no probelms when we went across thier were 4 foot swells and well I figured I was going to die that night LOL but we made it across. Also I'm not a boat expert where is broncoformudv at...
    I come in from the north but I was that other boat in 16b. Good luck non-residents or residents hunting where we go. It's thick and moose density is low. But we like it.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Crossing the inlet in a boat isn't the only way to get to 16B

Anyone know how the individual board members voted? By the way 323 go by Regal Air or Trailridge during hunting season and watch how many residents fly over here to hunt, you can bet the farm they will be doing like Marc said about updating their sites to bring in non-residents.
    Chuck

OldJohn's right. You can hit it from the Su/Yetna too. My buddy has a cabin up that way and the moose huntin' is and has been ugly for awhile. 'rat's right, this decision doesn't make a lot of sense.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Post #6 by Squab.....
    ...and just about one month ago (or was it two), under your other forum name, Akres, you were praising the members of this Board Of Game.
    Sir? are you Daft? I was certain our email on this site, were clearly understandable, to even the simplest of minds. I do not care for what you infer. I am an old man, with a long history in this state, and have little desire for your shenanigans.
    squab (probably of Scandinavian descent; skvabb, meaning "loose, fat flesh") is a young domestic pigeon or its meat

Okay sure the Su and Yetna go further south I will give you a hint launch out of kenai and shoot across you will get the idea where we went in at. I wouldn't waste my time with unit 16 for moose anyhow that is the last option.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast