Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whittier, early fishing for butts and shrimping

Default Whittier, early fishing for butts and shrimping

I have not been to Whittier since they built the tunnel, over 25 years ago. Have a friend that is moving out of state after 30 years here. We both want to do an early trip, one time to see what new shrimp pots can do and maybe a couple of butts to top off his last trip in Alaska. Can anybody PM me with some spots to be used one time(I promise) to make our trip worthwhile? Hopefully somebody can. I try to share my good fortune and hope somebody else will feel the same way and pay back or forward, however you look at it. He has a seaarc with an 85 prop that should put us on some fish in no time. Any suggestions? Am willing to share some bounty if you want to trade out, info for some eats!!! What do you have to lose? Pm's are appreciated. Thanks, Mr Dipnetter, Ken Federico SCADA
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Ken,
    Are you around in the evenings out in the valley?
    Or, you could give me a call with an Atlas on your end I can point you to a few spots...over the phone.
    Brian

hey why don't you guys just post the info here/ you read other peoples info, how about some contribution? I wouldn't mind learning a decent spot to catch a halibut myself

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Isn't a sea ark a jon boat? I am not sure that I would be venturing out of Whittier in one. People do it, but I wouldn't.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Isn't a sea ark a jon boat? I am not sure that I would be venturing out of Whittier in one. People do it, but I wouldn't.
    Roger that. An aquaintence of mine took a 22 ft SeaArk out to Coghill two years ago. They made it...but that doesn't make it a good idea!!!!!!

It is a well built homemade rig out of the original Seaarc. Sides are well built up and has been reinforced in a number of ways. FB, You can run with us since you commercial fish out of the area. Only if the guys supplying the info agree, capish?
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

I'd get the alaska g***etter and map book and fish for halibut where the little halibut symbol is on the map...
    (I'm serious, they are usually pretty close)

To find halibut think of the ocean like a giant river, get a chart, and look for places you'd look for say trout in a river... Places where there's likely to be less current with easy reach to places with a lot current that tends to push bait and stuff to them.

If you want GPS coordinates, I'd spring for a charter and bring your iPhone then mark it
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Powder Monkey, good points. In all the years fishing, I never really chased Halibut hard except on charters. Never had to think like a halibut before!!!

Or for that matter, having to think like a shrimp!!! LOL

thinking like a shrimp is easy... Find where the most rotting flesh is and go there, or why I'm not a huge fan of shellfish... Hahaha
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I'd get the alaska g***etter and map book and fish for halibut where the little halibut symbol is on the map...
    (I'm serious, they are usually pretty close)

To find halibut think of the ocean like a giant river, get a chart, and look for places you'd look for say trout in a river... Places where there's likely to be less current with easy reach to places with a lot current that tends to push bait and stuff to them.

If you want GPS coordinates, I'd spring for a charter and bring your iPhone then mark it

My Iphone doesn't get service much past Pigot, and most certianly not out where you'd be targeting nice butskis. Perhaps they've added coverage, which would be just dandy.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    My Iphone doesn't get service much past Pigot, and most certianly not out where you'd be targeting nice butskis. Perhaps they've added coverage, which would be just dandy.
    Yea, but your phone's camera will work as well as its internal GPS. When you take a photo it logs your coordinates.

I did not know that. So if somebody snaps my picture... I'm logged in in coordinates? Dodododo, black helicopters on the horizan?

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    I did not know that. So if somebody snaps my picture... I'm logged in in coordinates? Dodododo, black helicopters on the horizan?
    My wife has an iPhone and since it has an internal gps, most smart phones do, it logs the location of where the photo was taken. Be careful posting photos taken with a smart phone.

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    It is a well built homemade rig out of the original Seaarc. Sides are well built up and has been reinforced in a number of ways. FB, You can run with us since you commercial fish out of the area. Only if the guys supplying the info agree, capish?
    TW2000

Who'se your insurance agent...??? Is your will up to date...???

it doesn't make any difference how much "build up" you've got on a flat bottomed boat... in a wind, like the typical day breeze that comes up in PWS, Resurrection Bay and Cook Inlet, you got no (bleeping) control of a flat bottomed boat in any kind of a wind (breeze) ./...John

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    My wife has an iPhone and since it has an internal gps, most smart phones do, it logs the location of where the photo was taken. Be careful posting photos taken with a smart phone.
    Yeah, but only if you care to glance at the photo's attributes.... oh darn it all, there I go posting information that will let people find out personal crap about people..... me (and google even more so) should just be banned from the entire Internet before the aluminum foil hat people show up here (... again)!

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    TW2000

Who'se your insurance agent...??? Is your will up to date...???

it doesn't make any difference how much "build up" you've got on a flat bottomed boat... in a wind, like the typical day breeze that comes up in PWS, Resurrection Bay and Cook Inlet, you got no (bleeping) control of a flat bottomed boat in any kind of a wind (breeze) ./...John
    Been in plenty of flat bottom skiffs commercial fishing in cook inlet, many times in pretty crappy conditions and I am still around. I agree that flat bottom boats are not the ideal big water boat, but you can use them in the ocean. Just like any time you are out there, gotta pay close attention to the weather.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I have been in 4 foot seas with an 18 foot flat bottom Jon with a jet. My passengers were not happy but we made it. You just have to be smart enough to control the boat and run for cover when need be. I've been boating for 30 years up here and have not died yet. But it is said that God looks after fools and idiots and I'm sure I fit in either of those catagories. That being said, my will is up to date and the insurance carrier is not happy but is still carrying my policy. LIFE IS GOOD!!!!

Hmmm, I had a shoulder replaement surgery last tuesday. I want to hear NO MORE about shrimping and stuff

(well at least till I can go out too )
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    Hmmm, I had a shoulder replaement surgery last tuesday. I want to hear NO MORE about shrimping and stuff

(well at least till I can go out too )
    How did that go? I've been neglecting shoulder surgery for going on 2 cortisone shots. WHo was your surgeon?

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast