Thread: Deep creek area beach access

Default Deep creek area beach access

It's been a while since fishing this area. Are you able to get on and drive up and down the beaches in the ninilchik, deep creek, or anchor point areas? Trying to get out of the 2 mile no fishing zone to possibly give it a go from my kayak.

I am not real good with the area, but been there a few times clamming and fishing. You will have no luck going N from deep creek it seems private land almost with the set netters. You could go down by clam gulch and head south to get in the zone. Trying to remember anchor point - you can go south a ways and probably get close to the 2 miles.

Watch the tides....you might find your tent floating and water on your floor boards.

In a Yak - you better be really careful with the way the current rips through lower cook inlet...you might end up in Homer or Kodiak or even worse - Anchorage.... :-)

Haha. No doubt. I agree with the current thing. That's why I want to go the 2 miles. Otherwise I gave to paddle out a mile. No problem in most places. Definitely a problem in cook inlet since I will likely be alone and my experience level is modest at best in a yak.

Oh and I plan to fish much earlier than the salmon season so setnetters shouldn't be an issue unless that part if the beach is truly private property....

Everything below mean high tide line is public property. Doesn't matter who owns the land above it. The setnetters don't own the beach below that point either. The only thing you have to watch for is messing with their gear.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

You tell them they don't own it.....signs, ropes, dirty looks - I have drove by them and where I was at they sure feel they own it. Nobody said anything to me but if their eyes were lazers I would be full of holes.

Wait till august and take your kayak right to the mouth of deep creek and catch some silvers. Ha. As for May, You can drive up and down the beaches from the deep creek boat launch to happy valley creek, but be careful and watch the tides. The big high tides could possibly swamp you if you aren't careful. Happens every year to people. I believe from Steriski Creek you can also drive down the beach a ways and get out of the closed area. Don't have much experience with the anchor point area. It is big time hit or miss whether there will be many kings around. The deep creek offshore fishery isn't what it used to be. As far as going north of ninichik river, don't do it and expect to catch kings. You can run that whole beach all the way to south cohoe, but the water gets murkier there and the water levels isn't as deep so you have to go farther off shore. I don't know of anyone that trolls north of ninilchik river for kings in may and june.

Quote Originally Posted by 33outdoorsman View Post
    Wait till august and take your kayak right to the mouth of deep creek and catch some silvers. Ha. As for May, You can drive up and down the beaches from the deep creek boat launch to happy valley creek, but be careful and watch the tides. The big high tides could possibly swamp you if you aren't careful. Happens every year to people. I believe from Steriski Creek you can also drive down the beach a ways and get out of the closed area. Don't have much experience with the anchor point area. It is big time hit or miss whether there will be many kings around. The deep creek offshore fishery isn't what it used to be. As far as going north of ninichik river, don't do it and expect to catch kings. You can run that whole beach all the way to south cohoe, but the water gets murkier there and the water levels isn't as deep so you have to go farther off shore. I don't know of anyone that trolls north of ninilchik river for kings in may and june.
    Ok. I was hoping that was the answer. I grew up in Kenai and even worked at the seafood plant in Ninilchik as a kid but so much has changed since then.

August silvers? That's like 4 months away! lol. But thx for the tip. Living in Anchorage now and Whittier or Seward seem like safer and better bets for the silvers but I still may give it a go since the halibut should be around then too.

I'm actually trying to target small chicken halibut from my yak. And since I am going to be closer to where more people fish kings than halibut, a king would be just a HUGE but very possible bonus. I want to try and catch a few 10 pounders before I try anything too large since my Kayak is small at 9ft long.

My plan is to get around the 2 mile line. Launch at low tide drift south while fishing, then just drift back when the tide changes. Minimal paddling except to compensate for any wind movement. Hopefully its blowing onto shore so I have to work to keep myself offshore versus the other way around.

A little risky without a support boat but what the heck. Should be plenty of traffic I would think. Probably spend more time dodging the boats if I am drifting and everybody is trolling. It's going to be a errant wake that does me in 9 times out of 10 versus mother nature...if I am properly prepared.

Thanks all.

If you want halibut go to the steriski area generally there is more in that area. You will want to get your bait closer to the bottom, I would say within 5 feet of the bottom. Might be hard to maintain speed in a kayak which is essential for proper king fishing. Your definitely gonna have to do some trial and error. Good halibut fishing can be found in about 30 to 40 feet of water just outside where most of the boats will be trolling for kings. I would think you might have to drag something to slow you down because the tides might push your kayak too fast for good halibut fishing. You could do it at low tide but you will have to go very far offshore, I would recommend doing it at high tide but just not during the big tides (i.e. 18 footers plus). Be very careful of the surf too and if it looks like it might be challenging don't go. The surf would be the most dangerous part of your trip in my opinion. Sometimes there can be some pretty big rollers that would make it very hard departing from shore and arriving back on shore. I would say the first time you go have a buddy or two with a skiff to be there in case something goes wrong until you get a fishing system figured out.

Check the marine weather report for sure. http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/data/Foreca...AK51.PAFC.html
    It might be nice when you launch, but you need to check if anything is coming, it can get nasty. I've made that mistake, ONCE.
    Sounds like a lot of fun. I have wanted to do that for years, in something like a drift boat though.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

wildog and outdoorsman, both very good advice. I have fished cook inlet in a 16 ft open skiff and most times I don't anchor but that's after the tide has slowed down. Definitely only going to do it on one of those very rare "flat like a lake" days and try to be off by the afternoon when the winds always seem to pick up. As outdoorsman pointed out, getting out is no problem becasue if it is, I don't go. It's the landing the kayak in surf that can be an issue for sure. Boat support is a very good idea...just need to round up a few of my friends...if they aren't shrimping!

Charterboat Operator

Kardinal:
    your best bet would be the state park at Whisky Gulch, not marked real well from the highway but over the years our little secret has had the road improved and now days they are driving motor homes down to the beach. Once there you are in the "open zone", you can fish right in front of the parking area, you can head south on the beach OR water for about a mile and 1/2 to the North Anchor marker, you have about 6 miles of water heading north to the south Stariski marker. no need to ever go oout over 30 feet of water, and most of your trolling will be in 10-20 feet. Just watch the others . we consistantly see canoes and even a few yakers out there, heck last year i thought full bush was out there in his avitar rig!
    early season finds many glass calm mornings, you would think you were on a lake, many days. There are of course THOSE days that no one wants to be out there, and you will need to trust you r own judgement as to whether you are going or sitting on the beach enjoying a cup of joe or going back to bed!
    good luck
    PB

Thanks Pole Bender. It's amazing that I can drive from Kenai to Homer probably 100 times or more in my life and never have even looked over there.

I've caught TONS of fish in my life, mainly on the Peninsula. But if you ever read through my logs, it was getting to the point where I knew on any given weekend of the year, I knew where I would be fishing. That was great because I always caught fish because I was just dialed in to that given spot, let alone the river or lake. But they say, variety is the spice of life.

My new mission in life is not to catch more fish than the next guy (which secretly was always my mission when I was younger), but make every fish I catch more memorable. So my last two real fishing purchases has been a 4wt fly rod and a 9ft Kayak...and a couple of cameras. Thanks again.

Good advice from all above. I was surf fishin on the beach 3 times the last 8 days Deep Crk area. No fish around yet. Have to wait for the rivers to break up and gush the fresh water. Should be in the next 7 days now. Note new rules for this yr.... "Beach" fishing allowed INSIDE the 2 mile mark in Deep Crk area DURING opened wkends that the king season is in swing. (Hurray!) Kayaking for kings and butts fairly easy down here. You can catch within 100 yds of shore. 10 to 20 ft of water will do. Secret?.... 17-19 ft tides best,.... Calm seas meaning shore area not stirred up too much. If I go in kayak, I leave the beach one hr b4 slack tide and am out by one hr after slack tide. 3 hrs is plenty to me. The beach south of dp crk has been open for 2 wks (Its even open occasionally thru the winter depending on icing on beach) Right now the rd thru Ninny to the beach going north is unpassable unless u get on the beach south of Ninilchik R. and cross at low tide on beach. I expect fish from beach about 3rd wk of April but I;ll post when it starts.