Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parks Highway first week of June

Default Parks Highway first week of June

Will be driving down to Palmer around June 5 and was wondering what a guy would normally find for rainbow action that time of year, starting from chulitna tribs on down. Worth budgeting a day to fish my way down the hwy?

Thats the best time of year IMO. I have my best luck on hot sunny days because the bows are congregated under the cut banks and alder over hangs. Its lights out if you can present any kind of minnow pattern or nymph. I've also got some monsters to come up and eat mice patterns, if you can get you mouse to float under he alders its dynamite. Willow, Little Willow, Sheep, Montana, Troublesome, or any of the clear streams on the parks

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

That sounds pretty sweet. I'm looking forward to trying some spots I've always wanted to but never have.

Couple that you may be familiar with: I don't know if it's the middle fork or the east fork, but the stem of the chulitna that parallels the hwy for a mile or so about 50 yards off so you can catch glimpses of the water while you drive by and it looks like their are trails through the woods along that mile....Then I believe the road goes uphill hard and about 3/4 of the way up the hill there is a 4 wheeler trail that heads down towards the river and I can see cabin roofs.....anyone ever fish this part of chulitna? Or is that Honolulu creek I'm describing? I could be confused, but I think it's the Chulitna fork that you cross first when coming up from Anchorage. Not the one by the train tracks.

Early June is totally dependent on the water levels and clarity, IMO. Swing black or olive buggers right into the cut banks, or bounce a prince nymph or pheasant tail down off the rocks. That's where we usually have the best luck in early June. Byers, Montana, Goose, Troublesome, Willow will all have bows for sure then. Can't help you with the chulitna. I also hear that grayling in sheep or the kashwitna is fun around that time.

Bears still in hills at that time or do you tend to run into a lot in spring? I've fished them all in the fall and know that it's infested that time of year.

well the fishing can be horrible or ridiculously amazing... it all depends on weather, flows, fishing pressure, and about a million other factors. But yes it can be great, the only way to know is get out there and do it.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Thats the best time of year IMO. I have my best luck on hot sunny days because the bows are congregated under the cut banks and alder over hangs. Its lights out if you can present any kind of minnow pattern or nymph. I've also got some monsters to come up and eat mice patterns, if you can get you mouse to float under he alders its dynamite. Willow, Little Willow, Sheep, Montana, Troublesome, or any of the clear streams on the parks
    What he said, except the part about it being the BEST time of year. I prefer matching the hatch with the egg patterns more towards late summer myself. Although spring time is fun too. It is more of a challenge.

Hey Kmac, let me know when you come down. I can show you a few places.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Hey Kmac, let me know when you come down. I can show you a few places.

Fish On!
    Sounds like a plan. I PM'd you.

Just made the drive and paid attention to my surroundings....the trail and cabin roofs are on Honolulu.

Oh I see how you are. Take some time from BBall and go fishing on the other side of the state eh! I hope and trust you will have fun fun fun! I find it hard to believe they still allow retention of bows after the 15th of June in that area. If it does not warm up soon and a little better you might find your-self walking in snow down there at the begining of June.

Enjoy KMAC!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    Oh I see how you are. Take some time from BBall and go fishing on the other side of the state eh! I hope and trust you will have fun fun fun! I find it hard to believe they still allow retention of bows after the 15th of June in that area. If it does not warm up soon and a little better you might find your-self walking in snow down there at the begining of June.

Enjoy KMAC!
    Thanks. I don't really care about retention, just catching. Does anyone know if you can access lower Honolulu by way of the atv trail (maybe truck?) down to the cabins without trespassing?

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    well the fishing can be horrible or ridiculously amazing... it all depends on weather, flows, fishing pressure, and about a million other factors. But yes it can be great, the only way to know is get out there and do it.
    like every other type of fishing.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

KMAC last word on the street was no however I am not 100% sure. I will ask around eh. Hopefully someone will chime in as well

KMAC last word on the street was no however I am not 100% sure. I will ask around eh. Hopefully someone will chime in as well

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    like every other type of fishing.
    yup, which is why hotspotting on internet forums is pretty useless...

I've had great days on the water from march to october plus some awesome times in december, and a ton of crappy ones in between... Now I just gotta figure out november, january and february...

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    yup, which is why hotspotting on internet forums is pretty useless... .
    so why are you on here then?
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Reading comprehension 101. You failed.

because I can't fish 24/7

Please give my thread back. TIA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast