Thread: WTK possible value of Sako L61R in .358 Norma Mag.

Default WTK possible value of Sako L61R in .358 Norma Mag.

Rifle looks to be around 85% made between 1974-77 according to the SN website. Thanks in advance for any replies...

out here in the bush...0...you'd never find any ammo for it...

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    out here in the bush...0...you'd never find any ammo for it...
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=870014

If that is a factory chambered 358 in the Sako wow you found something. Probably one of the hardest calibers to find in a factory rifle! I know Schultz and Larsen (sp) made them along with Husqavarna as well. I figure it would be worth at a minimum 1500 I seen the huskys go forr that easy when you can find them for sale. Most of us wanting a 358 norma mag just have one built cause it is cheaper LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    If that is a factory chambered 358 in the Sako wow you found something. Probably one of the hardest calibers to find in a factory rifle! I know Schultz and Larsen (sp) made them along with Husqavarna as well. I figure it would be worth at a minimum 1500 I seen the huskys go forr that easy when you can find them for sale. Most of us wanting a 358 norma mag just have one built cause it is cheaper LOL
    This may be so because of the caliber. But, if we are treating it like a shooter, and disregard any collector type value because of caliber, I would put it more around $800-$1000.

Unfortunately people are not going to consider it a shooter for the simple fact it is a collector. If folks would read on the 358 norma mag they would have better appreciation of that caliber. The swedes aren't stupid and that is one hell of a round! One day I will find a Husky for sale that won't break the bank I know the sako's are out of reach along with shultz and larsen ones. One last thing when folks are selling thier pre-64 in a 250-3000 are they selling them as they were treating them like shooter? answer is no they are not.

Red face

Est. shipping with &*^%% ground, to 99*** is $50...so with that. $65.99+$50 S&H=$115.99/box...:O Nope, no thanks...like I said...worthless out in the bush...$82.18 for a case o' 10 of them @ $659.90+$83 = $742.90 makin' it $3.17 per round...no thanks, I'll pass...

If you reload, ammo would cost about the same as reloading 338. Easily under $1 per round. If I had it, it would be a shooter.

Sako did chamber a few of the Norma magnums. I've owned some of them. The L61 action in 358 NM would be very rare. Could you post the serial number on the rifle and pictures if possible? I'd like to add some info to my files.

Sako chambered the FN action guns to 358 NM about 1959 or 1960 then in 1970 and in the special number range between 509 to 537 I've seen one 358 NM. It is S/N 519 and sits in my safe. I have not seen a factory chambered 358 mag in the 500,001 to 530,537 (1974 to 1977) range of numbers. I presume this is your S/N range.

It's collector value is significantly more than it's shooter value but there are very few Sako buyers out there now. Any good L61R rifle of the Garcia era in excellent condition is worth about $1100.....adding a premium for the rare chambering. If you want to pay the price I guess it's worth the price, at least to you. This of course helps establish the value of any used gun.....the number of folks willing to pay top dollar. I have felt like I was single handedly holding the price of rare SAKO's up for a number of years now. I was offered $1800 for mine last fall at the Tulsa gun show but it is with original box and papers, made in 1973. I would have taken two grand. Yours is not worth that much.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

If we're selling guns strictly on shooter value now I can finely buy that pre-war model 70 super grade carbine in 7.65 Argentine. Bear to get ammo for, should be able to get it for a song.

All,

Thanks for the quick replies!

Murphy,

Please understand my trepidation in not posting a complete SN. The rifle is not mine and I was just doing a favor for a friend. The original owner passed and I was asked about the rifle being a "gun guy". I knew the caliber was unusual and it being an Alaska gun, was interested in knowing more about the rifle and history. I was doing some internet research and bumped into the fine forum here. This is the only picture I took when I visited to look at the rifle.

Gear Jammer

I took a guess....the rifle (or possibly just the receiver) was manufactured about 1976. It was not a factory chambering for the 358 Norma Cartridge, as evidenced by the caliber stamp. It appears to be a well made gun either by re-barreling an existent rifle or made custom using one of the imported actions. Many actions were brought in and they were numbered in the rifle serial number sequence. The first L61 actions were imported in this serial number range. I bought three of them back about 1980 one standard and two magnum bolt cuts and made them into various caliber rifles. One was a 416 Taylor that I owned for 25 years or so. It was a great rifle. If you can check the rifle over again and remove the barreled action from the stock there is probably a gunsmiths mark somewhere on the barrel. The value of any custom rifle is purely objective as no two shooters appreciate the same features equally. Certainly if in the market for a 358 Norma mag, a rare but very useful caliber, it could be worth a grand to someone. Thanks for the pic and the info.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thumbs up Sako L61R in .358

I Have a L61R in .358NM that I recently purchased in EXCELLENT shape ser # 54XXX. Curious to know your thoughts on this??? Also would be interested in info on how to find your book!! Thank's in advance for any info you can give!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Sako did chamber a few of the Norma magnums. I've owned some of them. The L61 action in 358 NM would be very rare. Could you post the serial number on the rifle and pictures if possible? I'd like to add some info to my files.

Sako chambered the FN action guns to 358 NM about 1959 or 1960 then in 1970 and in the special number range between 509 to 537 I've seen one 358 NM. It is S/N 519 and sits in my safe. I have not seen a factory chambered 358 mag in the 500,001 to 530,537 (1974 to 1977) range of numbers. I presume this is your S/N range.

It's collector value is significantly more than it's shooter value but there are very few Sako buyers out there now. Any good L61R rifle of the Garcia era in excellent condition is worth about $1100.....adding a premium for the rare chambering. If you want to pay the price I guess it's worth the price, at least to you. This of course helps establish the value of any used gun.....the number of folks willing to pay top dollar. I have felt like I was single handedly holding the price of rare SAKO's up for a number of years now. I was offered $1800 for mine last fall at the Tulsa gun show but it is with original box and papers, made in 1973. I would have taken two grand. Yours is not worth that much.