Thread: Berdan primed .308 brass

Default Berdan primed .308 brass

Shooting through a bunch of NATO/Military surplus berdan primed .308. I don't reload. Is it worth trying to sell these to reloaders? As I understand it is harder to deal with the berdan vs boxer primed brass? or should i just sell it as scrap brass?

thanks for any input.

If it were a chambering that is hard to find brass for then it would have value because it can be loaded or converted to boxer. With it being the extremely common 308 it's worthless to North American reloaders as rifle brass and not worth shipping back to Europe where it would have some small value. Scrap it, trash it, make key fobs . . . . .
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Sell it as scrap brass, no reloader will want it.

Berdan brass is just scrap brass. It seems pretty stupid that in the 1970's ammo was made (in England) for the 7.62x51 NATO, with two little holes for flash holes. The Brits don't get it.
    The ammo is not that good either so in opinion it was scrap before it was ever fired.

I don't know why any reloader would ever attempt to reload Berdan primed cases in the very plentiful 308 caliber. Good usable brass is available for the 308/7.62x51 around every corner on the cheap. I don't think even the Europeans have used Berdan priming since WWII days.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Berdan primered brass

Berdan priming is still alive and doing well in Europe. Some of the less common calibers like the 7.62 Russian are still being made with berdan priming - I found some the other day. Note this was commerical sporting ammo - not military surplus brass.

Interesting trivia- Berdan was an American while Boxer was a Brit.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Berdan brass is just scrap brass. It seems pretty stupid that in the 1970's ammo was made (in England) for the 7.62x51 NATO, with two little holes for flash holes. The Brits don't get it.
    The ammo is not that good either so in opinion it was scrap before it was ever fired.

I don't know why any reloader would ever attempt to reload Berdan primed cases in the very plentiful 308 caliber. Good usable brass is available for the 308/7.62x51 around every corner on the cheap. I don't think even the Europeans have used Berdan priming since WWII days.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I actually reloaded some Berdan brass years and years ago, 30-06 military ammo from south America I bought [loaded] from K-mart for $1.80 a box of 20[those were the days]. Royal pain, I don't remember where I got the primers but they where cup shaped and required me to make a primer ram to match. Decapping was a mess, fill the case with water make a wood dowel inside neck diameter, put it in the neck and wack with hammer to hydraulic the primer out.

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    Decapping was a mess, fill the case with water make a wood dowel inside neck diameter, put it in the neck and wack with hammer to hydraulic the primer out.
    I have a couple RCBS Berdan decaping pins that replace the boxer pin in and RCBS die. It's not bad with that but you got to turn the brass till you feel the pins line up with the holes . . . I've removed lots of crimped in primers with them and to my amazement never broke one of the tiny pins yet. I never messed with finding the primers as I always just drilled the anvil out, swaged the pocket and used boxers. It will wake you up if you try to put a boxer in one you missed removing the anvil on.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I thought about reloading some 7.62x25 about 30yrs ago, before you could get boxer cases. I decided it was easier to make cases from 38spl than loading berdan. I wouldn't even think about loading berdan if there is anyway to get or make boxer cases. There is a guy on Cast boolits.com swaging forum that may trade home swaged bullets for berdan brass. Other than that, sell it for scrap.

Scrap brass. Fill a five gallon bucket and buy the good beer with the $$!

Hi, a little late on posting but if you still have a quantity of the berdan 308 brass, how much do you have and what would you take for it?
    thanks
    Gunny

Good luck selling it as scrap. I talked to a couple of people picking up brass at the range and they said the recyclers in Alaska will not buy it unless it is melted down first.
    Can't confirm, just what I been told.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by hre814 View Post
    Shooting through a bunch of NATO/Military surplus berdan primed .308. I don't reload. Is it worth trying to sell these to reloaders? As I understand it is harder to deal with the berdan vs boxer primed brass? or should i just sell it as scrap brass?

thanks for any input.
    I doubt I'd bother with 308, but over the decades I've had to reload Berdan cases in oddball calibers, simply because boxer-primed cases were not available. Someplace around here I have a tong tool that kinda peeled out the old cap without having to go through the hassle of punching from the inside. It actually works pretty well. The biggest hassle is always getting replacement Berdan primers. You won't find them on the shelf any place I know of, so it's a special order deal. And likely you'll have to pay shipping on top of list price. That can double or triple the cost of the primers, really driving up the cost of the whole deal, especially compared to using boxer primed cases in a round as common as the 308. I bet you could buy all-new cases for what it would cost you to tool up for the Berdan job and get a supply of primers in hand.

call Hilltop
    Last edited by allen-ak; 08-24-2011 at 11:47. Reason: correction

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I doubt I'd bother with 308, but over the decades I've had to reload Berdan cases in oddball calibers, simply because boxer-primed cases were not available. Someplace around here I have a tong tool that kinda peeled out the old cap without having to go through the hassle of punching from the inside. It actually works pretty well. The biggest hassle is always getting replacement Berdan primers. You won't find them on the shelf any place I know of, so it's a special order deal. And likely you'll have to pay shipping on top of list price. That can double or triple the cost of the primers, really driving up the cost of the whole deal, especially compared to using boxer primed cases in a round as common as the 308. I bet you could buy all-new cases for what it would cost you to tool up for the Berdan job and get a supply of primers in hand.
    Same here but I have the double pinned decaping pin to get the old out. Then I just remove the anvil from the case with a drill, uniform the pocket to boxer and use boxer primers. Not worth the hassle for 308 but things like 6.5 Jap it sure is.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona