Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 27' seasport

Default 27' seasport

the good? the bad?....looking for info?.....how's the ride in 2-3' chop?
    thanks

Awesome ride in the 27' SeaSports. The diesel models have better fuel economy. Most I believe that most of the 27's gassers were either single big blocks or dual i/o. The volvo diesel models have had rather high repair bills with the KAD turbo series models. The way underpowered KAD non turbo 200hp models are ok.

More than you wanted to know but they are great boats pretty good on fuel and very seaworthy. A lot of charter operations use the 27' Seasports. Good resale values but I have seen a few over time in the mid $50s.

Sobie2

Never rode in a 27. But never once have we ever felt we were in unsafe waters even when running into 6-7 foot seas in our 24 foot XL. Doubt if you could even tell you were running in a 2 foot chop as they are that smooth. If you are looking at a gas model in that size would expect it to burn about 1.3-1.7 mpg if the motor is a big block 454 or 496. If it is a diesel I don't have the faintest idea of the fuel burn numbers.
    Sea Sports have a great reputation as long lasting boats. Company went out of business about 2 years ago but any part you might need should be easy to buy or get fabricated as parts are pretty generic.
    Tennessee

Take a look at this ride , I think it's still for sale and it's in Washington.
    http://www.aluminumalloyboats.com/vi...p=25187#p25187

A good person to call and discuss with is the owner of the Seward Volvo dealer. He has a 2006 27' SeaSport and is very fond of it. Talked to him a couple weeks back when I was in there and he gave me a tour--we were talking SeaSports as ours are the same year, color, etc., his is just significantly larger.

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Quote Originally Posted by excav8tr View Post
    the good? the bad?....looking for info?.....how's the ride in 2-3' chop?
    thanks
    I think it says a LOT that nice well cared for ones are gone in an instant. My friends 27 (he sold it thanks to a divorce) went through chop like a cadi - it was great for that. IMOP it did however suck gas like crazy, but no worse than any other boat of similar size and weight. If you have your eye on a nice one you had better act pretty fast as it will likely move very quickly if the price is fair. This is especially true if it is a pilot.....

A friend of mine has the SeaSport Navigator with a 454 and duoprop. He loves the layout and it does well in the chop. From what I have seen, it doesn't even know a three foot chop is there. He does wish that he could get a faster cruise. If he pushes it much faster than 22-25knts it tips to one side or another. Might have something to do with the delta pad or the extra weight of the flybridge? It is my opinion that the 27 footer should have a 9-9.5' beam. I think that would help with the stability. They are a sweet setup!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

thanks for all the reply's....

I have a 2005 SS Pilot with a KAD43 diesel. It has 240 hours on the whole boat. I agree with Spoiled One that it should have a wider beam. I have only owned it for three years, but I still enjoy it. (previous boat was an Osprey) It rides well in the chop, and I have never felt unsafe in it. I dont like the step down into the cabin, but it does make for a nice layout, and easy access for storage on the roof. The diesel will push the boat 39mph at WOT. I cruise at 28-30mph. I figure that I burn about 8.5 gph. The only problems with the engine so far was a belt pulley. I hope that it stays problem free for a long time with good maintenence. I know that the outdrives are the weak point, especially on the diesel, so I only plan on about 1000+- hours for that to be replaced. For a trailerable boat, it has a lot of comforts, but still very seaworthy. The resale values are always strong for a well maintained boat. They were in business for almost 30 years, and made very few changes to their boats. I believe that is a testiment to there safety/reliability. Current and previous owners that I have talked to over the years, have all loved the SS's. I dont think that you will be disappointed if you pulled the trigger on one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am running a 1989 SS Pilot with twin 130 hp volvo 3.0 liter gas engines runing between 18-21 kts with a 8-10 gph burn. The boat runs great in 2-3' chop and I feel comfortable running in bigger water...not that I seek it out or try to find it. The beam could be wider to make it more stable but SS built it at 8.5' so you wouldn't need permits/signage to haul it down the road. The diesel does get better fuel as stated by Soundfisher. I like the setup of the Pilothouse and think the layout of the older models is better with the head beneath pilot helm seat versus head in the back corner blocking the view. The room in the heads on the older models may be smaller, but how much time do you really need to spend in them? The step down from the deck takes some getting use to and taller people have a hard time with it along with the lower ceiling and shorter sleeping areas. There is a 1992 SS pilot for sale in Valdez that has been well taken care of.

RHORN, do you get the "tippyness" at higher speeds that Scott does?

Can't speak for rhorn but as far as "tippyness" all boats of this style have it to some extent. Flatter the bottom, the more level they ride if the load shifts. But when running a hull with as much deadrise as a Sea Sport it has to be expected. When running, if my son gets up and moves off the bench seat to get something on the other side of the boat you can feel the hull lean. A simple flick of one of the trim tabs and you are back level.
    Don't think I would enjoy a Sea Sport that does not have twin trim tabs, but with them running level is a piece of cake.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Can't speak for rhorn but as far as "tippyness" all boats of this style have it to some extent. Flatter the bottom, the more level they ride if the load shifts. But when running a hull with as much deadrise as a Sea Sport it has to be expected. When running, if my son gets up and moves off the bench seat to get something on the other side of the boat you can feel the hull lean. A simple flick of one of the trim tabs and you are back level.
    Don't think I would enjoy a Sea Sport that does not have twin trim tabs, but with them running level is a piece of cake.
    Perhaps your hull is different. His 27 has 20 inch or so delta pad or flat spot that extends to mid ship or so. He may chime in here. He suspects that it might have to do with the additional weight of the fly bridge or the difference between a big single and the smaller twins? I don't know. I do know that he would like to be able to use all of those 370 horses or so. I do wave as I pass him. I wouldn't want to be rude, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Perhaps your hull is different. His 27 has 20 inch or so delta pad or flat spot that extends to mid ship or so. He may chime in here. He suspects that it might have to do with the additional weight of the fly bridge or the difference between a big single and the smaller twins? I don't know. I do know that he would like to be able to use all of those 370 horses or so. I do wave as I pass him. I wouldn't want to be rude, you know.
    Ok, so you wave.... but the question is does he wave back with all his fingers, or just one????

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    Ok, so you wave.... but the question is does he wave back with all his fingers, or just one????
    I cannot tell. It happens so fast!

As far as the leaning, I wouldn't be surprised it is due to the massive torque of the big block under the deck trying to twist the whole boat over....hence the counter-rotating assemblies on boats with twins. I don't have that problem with my twin hondas on my CD 22......LOL

However, with that said, I do have that problem with my 521 ci F-250 4x4 Ford as the front left tire wants to come off the ground on a hole shot.....It has serious tire wear problem that are unsolvable.....

He has the duoprop. Shouldn't that counter the torque?

I cannot tell. It happens so fast!
    There is no question how fast the machine you have is. I wish I had the bucks.....You're a fortunate guy that pulled it off somehow. I have too much other stuff and payments to afford for now....someday maybe

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    There is no question how fast the machine you have is. I wish I had the bucks.....You're a fortunate guy that pulled it off somehow. I have too much other stuff and payments to afford for now....someday maybe
    Nothing magical on my end. I work two jobs and did not marry another teacher. No way could I have this boat on my teaching salary and no way could I have had another custom boat built for anywhere near the price I paid. Cheers!

Nothing magical on my end. I work two jobs and did not marry another teacher. No way could I have this boat on my teaching salary and no way could I have had another custom boat built for anywhere near the price I paid. Cheers!
    Notice I didn't say lucky....Luck had nothing to do with it. You worked hard and planned for it. I know my brother ski boat has a duo prop configuration and he set it up that way because of the increase in top speed, better hole shots, and performance. It didn't have anything to do with countering torque. But maybe it does. If so that is interesting and pretty cool. I'm sure experts will chime in some time here and make us look more stupider....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast