Thread: Vortex Razor HD Spotter

Default Vortex Razor HD Spotter

Anyone have this spotting scope?

I've never had a decent spotter, and all the reviews are really pleasing this Spotter.

Feedback?

Any suggestions on a tripod to get with this if I do decide to drop the coin?

Man, that's bold considering dropping $1600 on something without a Z, S or L.
    That kwan will buy some fabulous used but "like new" demo or salesman glass.
    But hey, been reading some great things about Vortex and their big glass. You might get the last laugh.
    It's awesome to see Vortex making a run at the big "3".

If you do buy, OL, post a thorough report--compare scopes if you can work it with others here.

Tripods: Bogan, Manfrotto, Gitzo. Or if you're an ultralight cheap arse like me, Pedco or Burris ultralight.
    And...work that tripod deal with your scope for a serious discount. It's a tough economy out there. Lots of optics stores...but Doug would likely hook you up.

PS...good topic for optics forum!
    Proud to be an American!

doh - Didn't see the optics forum.

Can a moderator move this topic to that forum?

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    doh - Didn't see the optics forum.

Can a moderator move this topic to that forum?
    Consider it done.

Thanks, maybe I'll get some more feedback on this topic now.

I've read awesome reviews about it, but haven't seen anything on these forums about this Spotter yet...

I just checked that spotter out today at sportsmans. I put it on a tripod right next to a swarowski 80. Looking at the resolution chart across the store I could not tell much of a difference between the two.
    3 things I noticed were 1. the Vortex seemed to have a better FOV 2. the image was crisp edge to edge on the vortex and 3. the vortex is heavier and bulkier than the swaro. But that is also due to the razor having an 85 lens and the swaro having an 80.

I know testing them in a store is one thing, and outside in the mountains is another. But 1000.00 difference? I think not.

Also the vortex warranty is the best there is.

I bought a pair of the viper 10x42 last year and used them all summer and fall. They were awesome. Best binoculars I have ever looked through.

I will be buying that razor scope soon....

On second thought I might give that viper HD spotter a look when it comes out. It compares very favorably to the Razor at half the price. like most things, you spend tons of money for just tiny improvements

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    On second thought I might give that viper HD spotter a look when it comes out. It compares very favorably to the Razor at half the price. like most things, you spend tons of money for just tiny improvements
    I've got a buddy that just picked up the Razor Bino's, 10x42. I took a peeksy through them, and I was impressed, compared em at the same time to my Steiners. The Steiners are junk, time for me to look for some new glass, and what I am hearing about the Vortex is pretty darn good.

Quote Originally Posted by J in AK View Post
    I've got a buddy that just picked up the Razor Bino's, 10x42. I took a peeksy through them, and I was impressed, compared em at the same time to my Steiners. The Steiners are junk, time for me to look for some new glass, and what I am hearing about the Vortex is pretty darn good.
    I don't have any experience with the upper level of Vortex spotters, but I have the Skyline 80 ($299 from Doug @ Cameraland right now) for about 2 years now and am very impressed with it. Granted it doesn't have the resolution of my 65mm HD Swaro, but it is hands down MUCH better than Leupy Sequoia, and Nikon XL II but bigger and heavier as well. But for a bomb around truck/cabin spotter it fits the bill nicely. The brightness and clarity you get from the $300 spotter I can only assume their upper level spotters like the Razors and the like are right up there with the big 3 (Leica, Zeiss, Swaro). From what I gather the Vortex warranty is top shelf as well. I also have 4 vortex rifle scopes and am very impressed with those as well.

Don't think you would be disappointed with the purchase if you didn't want to go with any of the big 3, but given the price range you can have a Leica, Zeiss, or Swaro for that or less if you are willing to pounce on deals. Picked up a Zeiss Diascope 65mm with eyepiece for $850 once brand new and a demo Swaro 65mm HD w/eyepiece for $1200. So there are deals to be had if you shop in earnest and have the time between now and hunting season to through down the cash in a hurry. Just something to keep in mind.

Upgrading optics for me seems a job best done slowly.
    Joe Want and Bob Hodson have commented that the differences they see between top shelf glass (we were discussing binocs in both instances) and real-good glass are subtle; low-light resolution and color resolution. As Joe put it, the difference meant seeing a mud flat bear at twilight, or not.

Since that conversation with Bob, I noticed he's added Kowa scopes, which I include in that Swaro/Zeiss/Leica group of top glass.
    Here's a review of high end spotters, 2009: http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2009scopes_high/

Still, real-good seems to have gotten very very good. Vortex Razor HD is rated well in that same review.