Thread: SE Alaska dollies

Default SE Alaska dollies

Hey guys, I will be poking around Haines and Skagway over the next few weeks looking for some nice char that are fattening up on fry and alevins.

I know in BC March and April were prime time for this fishery, but I imagine it may be a bit later up here. Late April will be my first trip.

Any thoughts on this fishery or late April fishing around Skagway and Haines would be appreciated.

Any steel around...............

Thanks in advance!

Pat

best advice would be the mouth of streams. The Chilkat River in Haines is unique in SE because it holds Dollies year round. Find a place that a clear water creek or stream reaches the saltwater and you'll find Dollies chasing fry.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    best advice would be the mouth of streams. The Chilkat River in Haines is unique in SE because it holds Dollies year round. Find a place that a clear water creek or stream reaches the saltwater and you'll find Dollies chasing fry.
    Yea the Chilkat is a cool flow, I am looking forward to getting to know it very well over the next few years. So much killer spey chuckin water there.

Thanks for the info man!

Caught a bunch of dollies with the flyrod in Haines at the end of April/first of May over by the boat harbor & the adjacent beach.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Bump to the top, heading south to Skagway on friday, any reports on recent walk and wade fly fishing in the area?

Call Richard Chapell with ADF&G out of Haines. He's a nice guy and would have some good info. 766-2189 or the main sportfish number in Haines 766-3638
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Thanks FishGod, I will give that a try!

Just wrapped up the fishing part of my trip down, nice water but very few fry moving and no sign of any dollies, fished mostly the estuary down by Dyea. Great trip thoug nice weather and some nice beach walks even a good long hike up the Chilkoot trail.

Single hand casting is not as rusty as I thought it would be after most of my winter trips have been chuckin Skagits for steel.

Will have to come back down when the salmon are running.

Good times, back to Whitehorse tomorrow for some appointments and to give the Yukon river a try with the trout speys.

Thanks for the replies the help was much appreciated.

Pat