Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 show

Default 2011 show

I read negative comments often regarding the sportsman show and thought the event could use a review from someone who enjoys it. This year I spent one full day there and could not have been more satisfied with the day. I got some new information regarding an up coming spring bear hunt that has changed my hunting spot significantly (that alone was worth the door price). I went to one of the seminars and learned a few new tricks. I talked to adfg about the new reg changes for next year and got quality face time with them to answer several questions. Talked to various transporters about there service. Bought a couple hunting items new to me ect ect. Theres more to my day but you get the picture. Just like everything else in life it's all about what you put into it. It's a great show and if you haven't gone before go check it out next year lots of good stuff going on there.
    Cheers
    Jason

The GASS is a great show, the only downfall is that it is the same show year after year. I will go if I need some specific new gear to possibly get a good deal on it but for the most part about 1 trip every 3 years is perfect. Then again it costs about the same as a movie so there are worse ways to spend a day.

I'm with Lujon on this, once every 2-3 years is good enough. When I do go I try to go on sunday that way you can get better deals. Besides, they keep raising the rates just to get in. Its like paying to get into Sportsmans Wharehouse. How much can they squeeze out of us, just to see the show. $10 PLUS $1 tax REALLY, gASS can't afford a dollar per person, how many people go to the show, 5000-10000 people @ $10 thats $50,000 - $100,000(I know minus military, old farts and curtain climbers) Don't get me wrong I do like the show and some seminars. I've been going to the gASS for over 15 years and they are pretty much the same year after year, like I said before every 2-3 yrs. sorry guys just a little venting

I think you are correct, the show is the same every year. Every year they put on a rock solid show at a good price. In my mind as a hunter if you cant find a way to enjoy yourself and learn something new at that show than I'd say shows just are not for you. Theres always room for improvement with anything but all together the show is fantastic. The money thing I just don't get, 11 dollars for all thats at that show. certainly worth my chump change for a days worth of entertainment.

at a 11 bucks a pop yeah you only go once. Not hey I want to go look at "insert whatever you want to look at in here" Oh wait that will be another 11 bucks and if I'ml azy another 6 bucks to park. Oh well I guess I won't go back. So what am I saying I go thursday pay 11 bucks and lets say I want to go back saturday that is another 11 bucks which I think is serious B.S! and they need to do something to fix that!

I think the reason it works so well is:

1. There's always something new (products, vendors, seminars, etc.)

2. You can see who the consistent players are. That's important if you're going to lay out some bucks for expensive gear / services.

3. We have a constant influx of new arrivals to Anchorage and the GASS is a great way to make connections and orient yourself to the outdoor scene here.

4. Reasonable price. Think about it: where else can you go for this kind of money and see all these companies in one place at the same time?

5. Corn fritters.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I can get corn fritter a 1/4 mile from my house... Yes it's a good show but come on charging me a 11 dollars if I want to go back a 2 days later to look at something again? You know if you sleep well at night knowing this so be it. But will I go back next year probably not. No real deal sto be had there. Besides hatcher pass polaris is not even at the show... The so called gun deals there yeah sure if you don't shop around why did I go this year I'm still trying to figure that one out but hey I went bought to two sodas for 4 dollars each and I went home feeling dirty...

I come up each year from homer to go to the show and did so on Saturday with my wife and sister .
    Spent half a day going up and down Isles and talking to reps and so on had a great time . Had some vittles and went back home .
    Makes for a long road trip but it is fun to spend some time with the wife .
    Will go back next year .
    The $11.00 to get in is nothing to the $150.00 in gas just to go to the show !!!!

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

What ticks me off more than anything down here is paying for parking. This goes for Aces games, other shows, etc. as well. Taxpayers paid to build the **** thing, let us park there for free. I'd guess that the parking fee at Aces games just covers all the cops paid to sit there and do nothing. If you take away the people collecting money and showing people where to park, you probably don't need to collect any money for it. $11 to get in is getting a little steep. I'd probably go there every day if I could get a show pass for $15-20. Think about how good that would be for vendors.

I'd really like to see improvements in the seminars. The AV isn't very good, you have to deal with announcements on the overhead speakers drowning out the speaker, seminars from year to year are almost identical.

The great thing is having all of the vendors in the same place. I really like going around, seeing what is new, comparing prices, etc. I had a great time at the show this year, but it could have been much better.

There were some good deals there if you knew what to look for. There were also some vendor there that marked their regular prices up just to drop them back down for the "show special". Those people don't get my business anymore.
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

I like that they charge to attend and for parking. That is a big expensive building and it should pay for itself as much as possible by taking the money out of the pockets of people that USE IT!

I do like the idea of a show pass though for a reasonable price.

I enjoyed the show. 17 bucks for a ticket and parking was steep IMO. I got a kick out of all the urban outdoorsman in their pressed pressed carharts, camoshirts w/ their hunting boots and leathermans. I thought there would be a lot more hot girls, that part was lacking

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I like that they charge to attend and for parking. That is a big expensive building and it should pay for itself as much as possible by taking the money out of the pockets of people that USE IT!

I do like the idea of a show pass though for a reasonable price.
    I agree with you on the multi-day pass. I'm not sure why Aurora Productions is not doing that, but I know some of the folks there and can sure drop them a call to find out. I am certain it's been discussed, but I don't know why they rejected it. Maybe they know people are coming back anyway... I dunno.

If folks can realize that the primary purpose of this show is to make money- money for the host company primarily, but also money for the arena, and money for the vendors, then perhaps they will understand the fees and such. And, like all good capitalists, if we don't like the fees, we don't have to patronize the place. Pretty simple really. Whatever Aurora Productions is doing is obviously working for them, the vendors, and for the attendees. The evidence is the full parking lots and the jammed aisles every year.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

I thought it was a good show, got a D leather 1911 shoulder holster, good deal on some Ugly Stiks for the kids and sat in on some good seminars. Shucks, I think $11.00 is more than fair to just watch Strahan do a seminar on a book I paid $39.00 for.
    Got a few of it down

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    I thought it was a good show, got a D leather 1911 shoulder holster, good deal on some Ugly Stiks for the kids and sat in on some good seminars. Shucks, I think $11.00 is more than fair to just watch Strahan do a seminar on a book I paid $39.00 for.
    I think I'm going to do something different with the seminars next year... probably same topics, just change it up a bit so we get to some of the other stuff. I keep running out of time, so I need to focus on smaller pieces I think.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    I think I'm going to do something different with the seminars next year... probably same topics, just change it up a bit so we get to some of the other stuff. I keep running out of time, so I need to focus on smaller pieces I think.

-Mike

If you're going to focus on smaller pieces you'll have to have 5 seminars, not 3.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    If you're going to focus on smaller pieces you'll have to have 5 seminars, not 3.
    You're just lobbying for a longer nap.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    You're just lobbying for a longer nap.
    Hey, if it works why not?

My son and I flew up on mileage tickets and went to the show Friday and Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed our selves. Now if you could lengthen your seminars if would be just perfect.

I was very happy to find Mike's book for $25 (cash). I grabbed it on a whim and wow! What a great book. Amazingly thorough. I was impressed to find exact coordinates in many places for camp sites, spotting sites, etc. Great job Mr. Strahan! Now I need a raft....

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Shucks, I think $11.00 is more than fair to just watch Strahan do a seminar on a book I paid $39.00 for.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I enjoyed the show. 17 bucks for a ticket and parking was steep IMO. I got a kick out of all the urban outdoorsman in their pressed pressed carharts, camoshirts w/ their hunting boots and leathermans. I thought there would be a lot more hot girls, that part was lacking
    Didn't go this year but the show is a great place to break in a new pair of boots. You might want to hit the womens show in a couple weeks for hot women.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast