Thread: Looking for Info- Kind of Obscure

Default Looking for Info- Kind of Obscure

I am looking for some info about some various stories and am interested if anybody has some recollections of the following stories and or guides.

1) The Hole-in-the-Wall Ram that was stolen from the Park Service Office in Copper Center.

2) The Magnificent Seven Rams of Summit Lake

3) Fitzgeralds Rams

4) Loyal Johnson's 49 inch ram from Nabesna Glacier

5) Greenough Ram by Soucek

6) Whereabouts of Dennis Harms

7) Whereabouts of Tommy Sheets(Alabama phone number doesn't seem to work.)

8) Info on the Big Kenai Ram taken by Guide John Swiss.

9) Whereabouts of Gary Paul

Thanks,
    Thomas

6)

I too would like to hear some of the stories about these sheep. Sheep hunters, being what they are will never make good books full of great stories about big rams, most will probably just die w/ the hunter. Sheep hunting stories will probably always be the best stories never told. This is why when we hear a good story we like to read it or hear it over and over again because they're so few and far between.
    To your original question, I had heard bits and pieces about the Hole in the Wall ram not so much about the others. Last year I was visiting an old friend of mine he's in his 70's and he used to hunt with the guy who was the original "owner" of the big sheep before it was wrongly taken from him. He filled me in on most of what I did not know about the original story. He gave me alot of insite on how they hunted back in the 60's through to the early 80's. Pretty interesting time for sheep hunters in Alaska.

"Greenough Ram by Soucek" ... and the saga continues! There was quite a buzz about that ram when Tom first displayed his now famous photo (10 years ago?) with all kinds of rumors about the rams existence and where abouts. Last I heard Tom Soucek had acknowledged that the ram he photographed was actually located in Canada - ? true, Mt. Greenough is pretty close to Canada. I did talk to one taxidermist that swears that he has repaired a mount of that sheep. The story is that it got knocked off the wall by the wife while the owner was away and was brought in to be repaired before the owner returned home. ? true, makes a nice story anyway, tho the taxidermist swears by his story! Who knows for sure?
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Gary Pahl passed away a number of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    I am looking for some info about some various stories and am interested if anybody has some recollections of the following stories and or guides.

8) Info on the Big Kenai Ram taken by Guide John Swiss.
    Alaska bush pilot and pioneer John Swiss, 82, died May 24, 2007, at the Anchorage Pioneer Home with his family by his side.

John enjoyed reliving his adventures with author Jeff Davis, who wrote about John's adventures in Bush Alaska.

He is survived by his wife of 53 years, Elaine; children and their spouses, Tyler and Linda Swiss, Karen and Paul Daugherty, and Jack Swiss and Carolyn George

http://www.youralaskalink.com/commun...e/7748827.html

You might get lucky by talking to the author that wrote the book about him, or by contacting his family.

1) The Hole-in-the-Wall Ram that was stolen from the Park Service Office in Copper Center.
    Solved- Now I just have to find Gary Hana and get his side of the story.

2) The Magnificent Seven Rams of Summit Lake-
    No direct info but better idea of where they were.

3) Fitzgeralds Rams
    We will get them tomorrow.

4) Loyal Johnson's 49 inch ram from Nabesna Glacier
    This ram didn't exist but Loyal is an interesting customer and you guys will love a question that bothered him to this day.

5) Greenough Ram by Soucek
    The mystery continues but it Probably belongs to a certain taxidermist who works for USFW (let the fox guard the hen house)
    It was taken near the British Mountains and its small population is now protected.

6) Whereabouts of Dennis Harms- Check- He is off to Kodiak before we could really get to the nitty-gritty.

7) Whereabouts of Tommy Sheets(Alabama phone number doesn't seem to work.)- Moved to Michigan and passed away from ALS(Lou Gerig's Disease)

8) Info on the Big Kenai Ram taken by Guide John Swiss.(Tomorrow- I am going to talk to Max Shellabarger)

9) Whereabouts of Gary Pahl(Oh well!)

Now for an interesting story that will get you guys scratching your heads. I wound up searching for Loyal Johnson who was a Biologist for Glennallen and Sitka for many years. Loyal is very bright and has a great memory. He had many useful elements that strengthened many of my theories and allowed me to connect the dots on several of my story lines. He explained the origin of the huge sheep story and told about several of his hunts. Loyal is a lot like us in that he is a rifle looney who was very happy about his life and loved sheep hunting.

He had a strange story that involves O.A. Nelson from Chitina. Loyal was asked by the new owners of the Chitina Cash Store which was owned by O.A. Nelson to identify two different skulls that were found in a cache of very large sheep and goat horns in one of the deeper sections of O.A. Nelson's storage basement area. There were clothes that were from the Kennicott days and old railroad uniforms. However, what the people wanted to know about were the two different large "cat-like" skulls. These skulls were extremely well preserved and were bleached white. He did a taxonomic study of the skulls and found that they belonged to two Leopards. Not snow leopards mind you but Asiatic Leopards. Was one of the older residents of Chitina off on a safari to Asia? Or could it have been stranger. Chitina was once Kopenfort an old Russian Fort that was operated from 1824-1835. Asiatic Leopards formerly ranged up to the Tuva province of Russia. Could a Russian have brought them over? People in the old days talked of Ibex. They said that they were different from dall sheep and mountain goats but no one has ever produced evidence. He gave them to a university anatomy collection and I am going to see if I can find out more about this story but I figured that it was strange enough and interesting enough to pass along.

6)
    So I figure that today was pretty profitable.

I will be writing late tonight.

Tomorrow I am going to get a hold of Max who lives in Kiana and Laurel Wilson from Tok.

Best
    Thomas

i KNEW AN OLDTIMER BY THE NAME VERN THORTON WHO, MANY TIMES MENTIONED HUNTING WITH A "WILSON" FROM TOK.
    wONDER IF LAUREL WAS THE GUIDE?

So I figure that today was pretty profitable.

I will be writing late tonight.

Tomorrow I am going to get a hold of Max who lives in Kiana and Laurel Wilson from Tok.

Best
    Thomas

Looking forward to reading your write up.