Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electronic Powder Scales and you.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Electronic Powder Scales and you.

I have Catapoolted myself into the 21 st Century,,, Maybe.

I handloaded with rather primitive tools, and in a small way, for many years. It wasnít until the last 10 years or so, that I started to acquire more boomsticks, and handload more, and with more up to date tools.

I learned a lotta new things, and had to deal with heresay methods that turned out to be plumb rong.

Iíve become cautious, and even suspicious about new tools etc, and was reluctant to try new things. Some I tried, were not satisfactory.

I clung to my old Redding Powder Scale, that I purchased back in the early 60s. I was used to it, I was fast with it, and I trusted it. It is very sensitive, and very accurate. Why would I need anything else?

Howsomever, I recently bought a Small Electronic Powder Scale, on Sale, from Midwayusa. I thought that for the price, it would be worth it, just to see what were the downsides of Electronic Powder Scales.

I havenít found any. That little doo-dadger, has worked FINE and DANDY, so far. I like it. It saves me a lotta time.

Iím surely not a thoroughly modern, learned, precision, handloader as yet, but I feel Iím gittin closer.

(Well, back to my usual mode.) I hope the blame thing keeps workin as well as I think it is, now.

How many, you guys use Electronic Powder Scales? Which do you prefer? Do you use Both?

If you donít mind.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I use the RCBS Chargemaster 1500 and I would never go back, I have doubled checked it several times and it has always proven to be accurate.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Funny you should ask Smitty, I just got my Chargemaster 1500 form Midway last week. Will be putting it to the test soon. I've been using the RCBS 10-10 up to now and will hold on to it as a backup and to occasionally check the Chargemaster. I have heard or read a bad thing about the Chargemaster yet.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Funny you should ask Smitty, I just got my Chargemaster 1500 form Midway last week. Will be putting it to the test soon. I've been using the RCBS 10-10 up to now and will hold on to it as a backup and to occasionally check the Chargemaster. I have heard or read a bad thing about the Chargemaster yet.
    When you get it, if it was like mine the powder cylinder had a huge amount of static electricity in it and the powder would stick to the sides. I took one of those DRY bounce dryer sheets and stuck it in the powder cylinder and that took care of the issue. I just leave it there and don't have anymore issues.

Steve
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    When you get it, if it was like mine the powder cylinder had a huge amount of static electricity in it and the powder would stick to the sides. I took one of those DRY bounce dryer sheets and stuck it in the powder cylinder and that took care of the issue. I just leave it there and don't have anymore issues.

Steve
    And when you shoot a critter the air smells "Oh so fresh" ! sorry couldn't help myself!
    I have fought the electronic scale thing for years now trying to justify why I would want to replace a perfectly good 10-10 scale that works fine and spend money on another gadget???? I like the looks of the 1500 scale and maybe someday I will say OK its time...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I have used the RCBS Micro Pro for 10 years now and it works well for me. But, there's always room on a reloading bench for a balance beam scale!

I have tried the electronic scale route several times and have come back to my old but excellent 10-10 both times. To me, the electronic scales are waaaay fussy and the other deal is that I LIKE using the beam scale. It is fun and kind of harkens back to an older time, which is fine by me. To me, the process is as important as the outcome, which is right in both cases. As with all the fershlugener devices that have flooded society, something is gained, speed and lack of effort, and something is lost, participation in the process, a connection to the fundamentals. Do they work, yes, are they a necessity, not to me. But then, I don't like to hurry my work.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post

Steve
    Thanks for the tip Steve, much appreciated. I'm looking forward to using this. I hate trickling powder. It should especially be useful doing a couple hundred rounds of 22-250.

I've read poor reviews on the RCBS and the Lyman. I've also read great reviews on both. I had personal use of a Lyman at a friends house and it was riddled with static issues. We ended up grounding an anti staic mat under the scale and running all of his equipment through a surge protector. Now it works fine.

I recently purchased a Hornady electronic scale. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=818489 I've been pleased with it's performance. The speed is adjustable so you can tweak it's use with different powders to prevent an overcharge.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    And when you shoot a critter the air smells "Oh so fresh" ! sorry couldn't help myself!
    I have fought the electronic scale thing for years now trying to justify why I would want to replace a perfectly good 10-10 scale that works fine and spend money on another gadget???? I like the looks of the 1500 scale and maybe someday I will say OK its time...
    I have gotten more enjoyment from using my ChargeMaster than from any other single reloading item I use. I don't move as good as I once did and when working loads and you are throwing different charges for each round, it so easy to just punch it into the scale and have it throw the charge. Sure it throws some powder better than others but the charge is thrown on the scale so it is easy enough to use your finger to bump the pipe or use the trickle feature if you prefer to add, if you go over use your hand to dump the excess back into the cylinder. It made the powder work less tedious for me.

We each have our own part of reloading we enjoy more than others, some like the brass, some the powder, others like the bullets, ect.... That is what so great about it, so many ways to tinker.

Automating the powder and brass trimming task were the two best upgrades I made.

I calibrate it before each use and find the accuracy totally acceptable for mass type ammo.

Just my experience and I'm not criticizing anyone's way.

Steve
    Founding Member

I love mine. Wouldn't have it any other way.
    An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

I moved from a balance bean to an electronic. ES went nuts. After 6 months of trying to get this working, went back to the balance beam, all is now good. Want to buy an electronic scale, I have one for sale. J.

I have owned two electronic scales. First was a Pact and now an RCBS. They are great for weighing brass or bullets. But I never seen, tried, or owned an electric scale that did not drift at some point.
    Beam scale for weighing out charges. Electric for everything else.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    I have owned two electronic scales. First was a Pact and now an RCBS. They are great for weighing brass or bullets. But I never seen, tried, or owned an electric scale that did not drift at some point.
    Beam scale for weighing out charges. Electric for everything else.
    You are 100% accurate....that is why RCBS recommends calibrating their chargemaster 1500 before each use. Luckily, the 50 gram weights we use don't drift!
    An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

I've never used anything but a 10-10 and am 100% comfortable with it and confident in it!

Heard nothing but good things about the RCBS 1500 chargemaster. Bought one last week from Natchez Shooters Supply (website) on sale for $280. Then the $50 mail in RCBS rebate makes it $230. Just buy $20 worth of RCBS products with it as you get the $50 rebate on RCBS purchases over $300.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I've never used anything but a 10-10 and am 100% comfortable with it and confident in it!
    The 10-10 is a great scale, I have one too. When in doubt I verify with the 10-10.

Keep other electric gadgets, florescent lights, radios, drafts and things that vibrate away from your electronic scale and that will solve most issues that people report about.

Here's a writeup on three electronic powder dispensers for anyone interested...

http://www.6mmbr.com/powderdispensers01.html

Am reading the directions for my new Chargemaster as I type this.

if an electronic scale creeps wipe it down with a drier sheet thats what lyman recommends I keep a drier sheet in the box to help keep the static down
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Smitty, I just made the shift from beam to electronic about 6 months ago, and I'm glad I did. My beam was acting up, and I looked at reviews people were posting about electronics. Finally decided every model had some folks who weren't satisfied with the drift.

I bought a Rangemaster 750, and I like how simple using an electronic is. I just turn it on as I begin to get set up, and by the time I start reloading, the cal seems to stick pretty stable. I check its zero a few times during a session, and most times it's still right on zero. Once in a while it'll be 0.1 off.

Guess what? They're easier to read for older eyes than the beam scale too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast