Thread: Horse Quality Hay

Default Horse Quality Hay

Hello! I am moving BACK up to Alaska after a 11 year gypsy adventure in the lower 48 and will be bringing my trail riding mare with me in early May. When I lived up there previously and had horses hay was much, much cheaper and I could actually afford to buy the good washington hay from the feed store. I think the most I ever paid for that hay was $360 a ton for Timothy...obviously prices have gone uppppppp. Does anyone have a reputable local grower that grows good brome and/or timothy (round or square bales) they can recommend? I bought some square bales from Stromberg farm back in 2001 when I was up for a summer, but honestly don't remember the quality...that was a long time ago! I doubt I could buy enough (with just one horse) to make going in on a shipment from Canada / Washington worth while. I see the ads on craigslist and alaskaslist, so I am familiar with some of the names of growers...just trying to get recommendations. I have already prepared myself for the sticker shock ....I pay about $200-$220 a ton for beautiful 110lb bales of Bermuda that are grown about 3 hours from where I am right now.
    Also, anyone with suggestions on good places to stay overnight with horses on the highway starting in Calgary to Sutton I am still mapping out that part of my trip and it always helps to hear from people who know of good places to stay. (on my last trip down the Cassiar we pulled into the place we were supposed to keep the horses for the night and the rendering truck was sitting there full of dead stock and 1/2 of the horses there looked like they were about to kill over and be loaded up next. needless to say we found somewhere else to stay that night).
    Thanks!!

I buy most our hay from the palmer are 1200 pound rolls for 150, 800 pound rolls for 90. There's stuff that comes over from delta that was a bit more spendy by the bale or good local brome grass by the bale for 11 for a 50 or so pound bale. As far as transporting horses up I could get you a email or facebook of someone that has driven horses on the alcan many times and would know what and where would be best. dend me a p.m. if you do fb and I will forward you to her
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

If you need a place to put your horses up for the night in Delta let me know.. We can work something out..

Well thats mighty fine of you helping others you don't know and will probably never see again, rep points set to you
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Thanks for the offer Luntzd, we are already made the trip and got to Sutton safe and sound with all the animals. I appreciate the offer though!