Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "B" guage / 4 bore ?

Default "B" guage / 4 bore ?

This is probably a stretch but I"m wondering if any of the "traditional" guys shoot the big stuff.
    I'm currently building a B guage that will be completed by next spring. Once you get this big a lot of folks shoot Blue Dot in this stuff and I'm looking for someone with experience, real experience. The I've done that kind! Once complete I'll post some pictures.

Typically I hang out in the saltwater fishing section where I mostly pull chains and provide ridiculous entertainment. I promise not to do that here.
    Mike

I don't know anyone up here using them. In my youth I got to shoot an 8 gauge double rifle quite a bit, and that was eye-opening.

Check with the folks at The Gun Works in Oregon. They build them and offer parts, so I bet they can put you in firsthand contact with some users.

I'd also ask them about the Blue Dot. I'm leery as the dickens of smokeless in muzzleloaders due to the differences in pressure curve between smokeless and true black and the various subs.

004.jpgBeen awhile but some progress has been made! Regarding the Blue Dot question, there's information out there but you sure gotta look at a lot of stuff to find something useful!

Now that the wood is moving along, it actually looks like something so I posted a picture so you can see where were going with this. 38 1/2 inch O.A.L, about 15lb.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I though it was ill eagle to hunt with anything over a 10 Ga? Maybe I'm wrong. does that only apply to shotguns?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    I though it was ill eagle to hunt with anything over a 10 Ga? Maybe I'm wrong. does that only apply to shotguns?
    Yeah, that restriction is only for waterfowl.

A couple of years back I got to handle a 4 gauge at The Gun Works. I was impressed! They're the source for 4 gauge round ball molds, BTW.

The lock is fully inlet at this point and I'm making the new hammer. The original on my lock simply would not reach the nipple, were talking 2 1/4 wide at that point.

Probably not much more on this till winter now but then it will finish up rapidly. Building a trigger plate and guard will be the remaining items before the fun stuff. (wood finishing and bluing)

Mike

Cool

Good grief, man, that's a punt gun . . market waterfowlers used to mount them on oarlocks in the gunwales of their boats . .

Attachment 61502

Definitely need an Elmer Fudd hat with that thing!
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Default Possible info source

A guy named Cal Pappis is really into the big bore rifles. He has written several publications on them with lots of information on ammunition, tools and reloading specs. He is located in Willow and does the gun shows as far as I know. His website is his name.. give him a holler and I am sure he would be happy to talk with you.
    Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    This is probably a stretch but I"m wondering if any of the "traditional" guys shoot the big stuff.
    I'm currently building a B guage that will be completed by next spring. Once you get this big a lot of folks shoot Blue Dot in this stuff and I'm looking for someone with experience, real experience. The I've done that kind! Once complete I'll post some pictures.

Typically I hang out in the saltwater fishing section where I mostly pull chains and provide ridiculous entertainment. I promise not to do that here.
    Mike

Default minesqual progress?

Well, a little time was available this time home so I spent it wisely. The new picture is the net result of that time. When your trying to wrap a lock around a grip which is 6 3/4 inch circumfrence, you are challanged somewhat. I needed to make a suitable hammer and while I was at it, modify the lock internals to work with this big guy! The trigger group was completed as well and can be inlet next time, hopefully!

002.jpg The non related picture is the parts pile for what's coming this winter, a 30-40 krag double rifle!010.jpg

Nice work Mike. It will be interesting to see the finnished gun.
    You might just have to tape a pillow to your shoulder to shoot it though.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

004.jpg002.jpgI was able to put in a little time on my project recently. Aproximately 80 more hours will be needed to complete the thing but for the first time it now holds itself "together". At this point if "I had some balls" I could fire the thing!

Right now all the metal is half polished and the wood is filthy from all the fitting. Once the metal polishing is done and I move to the checkering and wood finishing it will start to look like something!

Mike

Default It's done!

I would be surprised to hear that you've all been holding your breath waiting for me to finish this thing! My next report will include how bad it hurt, how many teradactils it will shoot thru, how many shots it takes to generate a flinch, all the relevent stuff.

I doubt it will get shot (with a ball) this time home, but very soon we will be warming her up!

The photo session was done in failing light and will get redone ONCE it warms up.

Mike

Default It's done (2)

Another couple shots, showing her belly and the lock.
    Filius Tormentis - son of a cannon!

Very nice work!

Default Re: "B" guage / 4 bore ?

Beautiful gun

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

"Filius Tormentis" A very appropriate name for a beautiful piece of work. I hope your dentist has a heart and will give you a discount if you need a few fillings reset.

Gonna put a scope on it?............ But seriously, that is very cool, excellent work. Can't wait to hear how it shoots.

At this power level, i guess dental re-work could be a possibility. More commonly you see broken collarbones and detatched retinas! Alas, I'm no longer man enough to have to proove anything so load development will be "slow and steady".

Thanks for the kind words too!
    Mike

No more guessing! I took her out today for the first shooting session. 50, 100, 150 & 200 grains of 2f behind the 2 3/4 oz round ball and nothing broke. On me or the gun!

at 30 yards, off hand I could cover all shots with my palm! When it warms some there will be longer sessions and great joy, I'm sure.
    So far it exceeded my expectations by quite a bit and did I mention, the push back was totally tolerable.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast