Thread: Help needed with Sockeye age in the 2011 forecast needed.

Default Help needed with Sockeye age in the 2011 forecast needed.

I was reading the forecast for the 2011 Sockeye run and they refer to age 1.2 75% ofthe run and age 1.3 9% and age 2.3 7%. I dont get the age 1.2 and 1.3 and what that means. I would assume the age 2.3 were spawned in the different year. Can anyone help me understand what that means? 1.2 and 1.3 seem like they would have been spawned the same year?

The age is listed as years spent in freshwater and years spent in saltwater. So, an age 1.2 fish would have spent 1 year fresh and two years in the salt. 1.2 and 1.3 age fish would be from different brood years. The sum of the numbers it their total age, i.e. 1.2 are 3 year olds, 1.3 are 4 years old. More time in the salt generally equals larger fish when they return to spawn.

Also, large proportions of age 1.2 fish generally means that their rearing lake is very productive and high in prey species, thus they grow fast and head to sea after only one year.
    Nice Marmot.

Now it makes sense. Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Skookumchuck View Post
    The age is listed as years spent in freshwater and years spent in saltwater. So, an age 1.2 fish would have spent 1 year fresh and two years in the salt. 1.2 and 1.3 age fish would be from different brood years. The sum of the numbers it their total age, i.e. 1.2 are 3 year olds, 1.3 are 4 years old. More time in the salt generally equals larger fish when they return to spawn.

Also, large proportions of age 1.2 fish generally means that their rearing lake is very productive and high in prey species, thus they grow fast and head to sea after only one year.
    Almost...

True, the number on either side of the decimal point denotes years in fresh and salt, but by convention, the "total age" is the sum of those numbers plus one.

Examples

1.2 = one fresh one, two salt, returning in its fourth year of life = 4 yr old

2.3 = two fresh, 3 salt, returning in its sixth yr of life = 6 yr old.

Note that the age in years will coincide with the interval since the parental brood year. Age 1.2 salmon returning in 2011 come from parents in the 2007 run four years ago. Age 2.3 salmon returning in 2011 come from parents in the 2005 run six years ago.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Yup, your right Doc...Have to account for the time spent in the gravel.

Thanks for the correction.
    Nice Marmot.