Thread: What One Powder For Two Cal.

Default What One Powder For Two Cal.

This past year I've picked up a couple of new rifles. One is a Rem. 7 mm saum and the other is a 338 Win Mag .
    I'm wanting to work up some loads for these using Barnes TSX bullets. 140 gr for the 7 mm and 225 gr. for the 338. I dont have a barnes manual at this time so I was wondering if any one can suggest one powder that would work for these two . Also do you have any loads for the 7 mm.
    Thanks

For one type of powder for both calibers, I would recommend 4350 from Hogdgon/IMR! I don't have a good load for the 7mm SAUM, but 71 gr. for the .338 WM with 225 gr. Triple X (depending on cases and primers used) is near the top end! ALWAYS START LOWER AND WORK UP!

Wyatt

Default Remember

Barnes Triple X have a reduced pressure compared to Barnes X, so increasing 1 to 2 gr. is typical, but start low. As I stated above, I don't shoot the 7mm SAUM, however a good friend loads 140 gr. Triple X's over 58.5 gr. of H4350 with Win. cases. He uses either Win. 9.5 or Fed 215 primers...not sure. He swears by the caliber for open country and loves the 700...I just don't think it has staying power!

Wyatt

Default One powder / Barnes info

Barnes has some reload data for their bullets on their website now. Don't recall if 7 mm SAUMis listed.

see also: http://www.barnesbullets.com/informa...sx-guidelines/

Default Barnes Info

Thanks for the info and link. That was just the kind of info I was hoping for. This site is great.

Default Powder

I dont load for either of them, but my buddy uses the 7mm SAUM. He uses IMR 4350 w/150 Partitions right around 3000fps out of a 22" ruger. Nice set-up shoots flats, and kills good. I would stock pile some brass if I were you.

I have loaded for both and H4350, IMR-4831 and RL-19 are all very good powders for both. My preference would be H4350 for the 338 and RL-19 for the short seven.

I also have a Barnes manual #3, it doesn't list data for any short 7's. You could probably e-mail Barnes and get data.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thumbs up Imr 4350

IMR 4350

From 270 win to 30-06 to 7mm mag and 300 win and 338 Win Mag.
    Alaska

What is the diffence between H 4350 and IMR 4350
    Whats better for a 338 mag 250 grainers

Default 4350 difference

There is very little difference between the two powders, but I suggest when switching from one to the other, to be on the safe side, drop down about 2 grains before working a load up.

Quote Originally Posted by Homewreaker View Post
    What is the diffence between H 4350 and IMR 4350
    Whats better for a 338 mag 250 grainers
    The difference in burning rate is minimal but the difference in consistancy over temperature will favor Hodgdon's powder. It also seems to meter a little better and is more consistant from lot to lot than the IMR. Hodgdon's Extreme powders are among the very best I've ever used and I use a lot of 4350. Probably the best powder for the 338 mag with 250 grains, the 375 with 300 grains, the 30-06 with 180 grains, and at least a dozen other calibers.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I'll second H4350, great stuff.

Thumbs up Burn rate

Just a little difference in burn rate.......very close together.....I tend to grab the IMR 4350........do not mix them together!

Reloader 19 is another good powder to use!

I also use the 225 TSX but with IMR 4350 @ 71.5 Fed 215GM primer in FC Nickle Cases
    Alaska

Default 1 powder

R-19 for both.

Default H4350 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

H4350 will do the job and will be no comprimise at all. It is possible the best powder in both cases with the bullets you stated. You can use the barnes 280 ackley data for the shorty. Same capacity and burning rate.

Hodgdons version is vastly superior to the IMR powder. It is very slightly slower and is the 1st of the EXTREME series of Hodgdons powders. They are very consostant, meter very smoothly and are best of all Temperture Insensitive. I use there Varget in a 22-250 that is with me everyday from -25 to 120 degrees.