Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alaska Big Game Stamp?

Default Alaska Big Game Stamp?

This may have been addressed in prior posts and I missed it, cannot find anything with the search. If so, I apologize for the duplicity.
    Wondering what the folks on this site think of implementing an Alaska Big Game Stamp. We all know that economics drives much of what ADF&G is capable of in terms of management. There is a fairly constant cry for this or that in terms of producing more animals, especially moose and caribou. In the case of moose it is largely a matter of habitat, more so than predators at least in most cases. With a stamp, which of course would need to be implemented by the legislature, the funds could be targeted specifically for enhancement of hunting opportunities via habitat development and predator control.
    It seems we are on the edge of an economic down turn that may last a fair amount of time. With that the odds of more funding for the sorts of things hunters want isnít likely. I know there is a lot of talk about harvest ticket fees, which is probably inevitable and probably should be in place. The difference, at least as I understand how these things work, the money generated from a stamp could be dedicated funds, as in duck stamps.
    Just my opinion but it seems borderline ridiculous that duck hunters pay more for a license and stamps than big game hunters pay to hunt, nine species of big game. Any thoughts out there?

You're right about one thing; We are approaching an economic downturn that people aren't expecting. It will be something larger than the 'great depression'.

With that said, I am against anything that takes more money out of my pocket and puts more money in the hands of the government. I'm Sorry but they've taken plenty of my money. Let them get more funds from the illegals they're about to grant amnesty to. When I hear about the federal government taking millions of our dollars and sending it overseas to rebuild mosques and provide internet access, it makes my blood boil. I'm keeping my money. Fish & Game can appeal for these funds from the federal government.

If people feel they want to 'donate' to fish & game on an individual basis, that's fine with me. Perhaps the folks who got two or three tags in the drawing may feel inclined to donate.

Well...If it proved out to be as (in)effective as the King Salmon Stamps...my vote would be a resounding "NO".

Figure if I want to lick stamps, I'd be writin' letters.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

When the big down turn comes folks will leave and mother nature will handle the moose proper
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

"When the big down turn comes folks will leave and mother nature will handle the moose proper" - well said, IMHO the sooner the better! Mother nature established it's own equilibrium long before the hand of man started to "manage" that equilibrium into an unnatural but self serving balance. I am all for letting nature take it's course ... and let the cards fall where they may without excessive human interference.
    Prob not a popular stance, but honest never the less.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    Mother nature established it's own equilibrium long before the hand of man started to "manage" that equilibrium into an unnatural but self serving balance. I am all for letting nature take it's course ... and let the cards fall where they may without excessive human interference.
    shphtr...........at what point in the past did human presence on this planet stop being part of "Nature"?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

ADF&G is bucks up right now big time ..... because of all the Pittman-Robertson funds.

MT - "at what point in the past did human presence on this planet stop being part of Nature - I don't know, so hopefully you can enlighten me.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Who is included in the "excess" count? Who's not?

this is a terrible idea, why would you want the fish & game to have more money, I have seen nothing productive come from what we pay already. if they would start transplanting sheep into some new mountain ranges like the ray's or fix the rex trail up so it's not a problem, then or lic money would be really helping us out. the duck hunters have to pay the money because the birds are traveling i.e. federal, I think every Alaskan should be in titled to go harvest a moose, caribou or sheep free of charge. why is it a tag for a Nevada bighorn is $1,200 dollars(non-res) & a dall sheep tag is $425(non-res) what's wrong with this price? your tag idea is a waste of time & money.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    shphtr...........at what point in the past did human presence on this planet stop being part of "Nature"?
    When humans started hunting, to just hang it on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by FullFreezer View Post
    this is a terrible idea, why would you want the fish & game to have more money, I have seen nothing productive come from what we pay already. if they would start transplanting sheep into some new mountain ranges like the ray's or fix the rex trail up so it's not a problem, then or lic money would be really helping us out. the duck hunters have to pay the money because the birds are traveling i.e. federal, I think every Alaskan should be in titled to go harvest a moose, caribou or sheep free of charge. why is it a tag for a Nevada bighorn is $1,200 dollars(non-res) & a dall sheep tag is $425(non-res) what's wrong with this price? your tag idea is a waste of time & money.
    Now that there is some funny %&$#.

If the USFS would let "Mother Nature" take her course and burn all the beetle killed spruce and pine throughout the U.S., habitat would be just peachy.

Why on earth would I want to pay another tax to hunt ?

Well about what I expected, the entitlment mentality of some hunters in this state never seizes to astonish me.

Quote Originally Posted by sameyer View Post
    Well about what I expected, the entitlment mentality of some hunters in this state never seizes to astonish me.
    There is a sense of entitlement (for me anyways) when it comes to paying extra to hunt in my own territory and the people who are coming from the outside dont pay their share. Im not saying hunting in Alaska is cheap to an outsider, but they should have to pay more before a single Alaska hunter pays even a cent more. How many tropy hunters come to Alaska for a rack and end up leaving the meat in state after they have flow out? Heck, Ill take the meat... How about instead of making Alaskans pay for a big game stamp you suggest adding $200 to every single out of state hunters game tags? Sounds fair to me if you really want to manage the game poplulation for generations of Alaskans to come (provided ADF&G would use the funds to improve the game populations).

Quote Originally Posted by FullFreezer View Post
    this is a terrible idea, why would you want the fish & game to have more money, I have seen nothing productive come from what we pay already. if they would ...fix the rex trail up so it's not a problem,
    This really belongs over on that "Greenies in Sutton" thread, or whatever it's called, oh man that's a good one...

If a non-res can fork up $15,000 to $25,000 or more for a guided hunt I'm sure they can spend another few hundred for the tags/permits. Charge the guides and outfitters more for that matter. Why would you want a resident to pay more for harvesting an animal in his state instead of tapping the out of staters first. I believe there is something in the state constitution about all the state resources belonging to the people of the state. I can't believe this idea was even suggested on this forum. Donate your PFD.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    If a non-res can fork up $15,000 to $25,000 or more for a guided hunt I'm sure they can spend another few hundred for the tags/permits. Charge the guides and outfitters more for that matter. Why would you want a resident to pay more for harvesting an animal in his state instead of tapping the out of staters first. I believe there is something in the state constitution about all the state resources belonging to the people of the state. I can't believe this idea was even suggested on this forum. Donate your PFD.
    At what point do you think you should have to pay? I'm asking for a point of reference. Anyone else feel free to answer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sameyer View Post
    Whoa, hold on just a minute. Fighting against unjust government taxation is NOT an "entitlement mentality". It's an issue of personal freedom and working against the evils of big government. An "entitlement" is when the government takes from one group of people and gives to another. Freedom, which this nation was founded on, is doing for yourself and taking personal responsibility; not expecting the government to come in and give everything to you.

We are nature's ultimate apex predator, but we regulate ourselves as a collective, not individuals. No individual is entitled to kill a moose every year (except those who claim subsistence, but that's a whole 'nother ball of worms). The government has no expectation to provide us with food. Hunting is part of our food gathering process. The vast majority of people have resigned to hiring people to mass breed, raise, and kill our food. If everyone had to hunt their own food, humanity would quickly realize just how far they've "overgrazed" their habitat.

Unless the government can show specific and necessary reason and need for taxing big game stamps, it will be opposed by hunters. Though you can bet it would be supported by PETA, et al.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
    At what point do you think you should have to pay? I'm asking for a point of reference. Anyone else feel free to answer as well.
    I never said anything about not paying anything. And to quickly answer your question, at no point should we have to pay any more. I have no issue with paying for my license and donating every year for draw permits. My point is that if we need to create more revenue for F&G then hit up the people who are making a living off of it or doing it for the trophy only. Why make it more expensive for the person who is harvesting animals to feed the family. If you start having to buy big game tags then what is next? Should you need a tag for all fish, not just King's? What about trapping, should we need tags for the animals we trap? If we are going to buy tags then what is the purspose of buying a license? If you have to buy a big game tag then the hunting license only covers small game? Who is going to buy a license to hunt squirrel and rabbits if they don't hunt big game? Prices are going up on everything you buy from gas to food, to clothes, etc. With the price of diesel going up it costs more to ship things so we get to pay the difference. Why would you want to pay more for probably the one thing that isn't getting affected by rising costs. And the more prices go up on everything else, the more some people may need to rely on wild game to feed the family.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast