Thread: reduced loads

Default reduced loads

Is it necessary to use a filler for reduced loads with a very small powder charge? Specifically 8gr of powder in a 30-30 win case.

I would use Trail Boss and skip the fillers. Use the steps in the link and you should be able to have a good case fill and about the traditional velocity.

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by baer19d View Post
    Is it necessary to use a filler for reduced loads with a very small powder charge? Specifically 8gr of powder in a 30-30 win case.
    What Powder?

Assuming your'e using a powder commonly used for reduced loads, Unique, Red Dot, and similar, with cast bullets,,,,

NO, but IME, it helps, accuracy, some.

If you're using 8 grains of Trail Boss, you won't need filler, because the case will be pretty much filled already.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    you should be able to have a good case fill and about the traditional velocity.
    I meant to say, about half the traditional velocity.

I use a filler on unique in 30-30!

I have used filler but hate the stuff.

I have an old loading manual that uses Unique, and other pistol powders in rifle loads with cast bullets and no filler required, in fact the author recommends against it. I've used many of those loads and they work. I think there are a few powders that give give results for reduced loads and some are available today will give good results in rifle loads.

Trail Boss, as Marshall suggested, SR4759 and AA or the newer XMR 5744. I think the Speer loading manual has loads using 5744 or SR 4759 for reduced loads in several calibers. I. E. 30-06 150 grain bullet, 28.0 grains of XMR 5744 velocity 2000 fps Or 165 grain bullet and 25.0 grains SR4759, velocity 1950 fps. There is a similar IMR powder SR 4756....do not use this with 4759 data. It is a hand gun powder. This does work well and I've used 4759 for years then in the past decade used 5744 for my reduced cast loads for various hunting rifle calibers. I can sight the rifle in with a normal load at about 200 yards, then use a lighter load and it will have a 50 to 100 yard very and it works well for shooting something for the pot. About 1800 fps with cast bullets seems to make a good non meat damaging load for grouse, rabbits or turkey. (Where legal of course.) Unique powder is probably the only powder that will give true handgun velocity with an accurate load in a bottleneck rifle load. Filler may or may not help with the accuracy but it smells funny.

I personally would only use Trail Boss in straight cases such as 45-70, 38-55 or large handgun cartridges but there is data to support it's use. I suppose I lack the experience with it to recommend it to anyone.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I personally would only use Trail Boss in straight cases such as 45-70, 38-55 or large handgun cartridges but there is data to support it's use. I suppose I lack the experience with it to recommend it to anyone.
    I've used Trail Boss in my .358 Norma and my .35-30/30 and it works slick as a whistle.

Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    I've used Trail Boss in my .358 Norma and my .35-30/30 and it works slick as a whistle.
    That's good to hear. I'll try some more experiments with it this summer and learn more about it. Thanks.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I love trailboss, you get so many loads out of it. And it works great for plinking loads.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I've also used "filler" on Unique loads. I use 6 1/2 grs with a 120 gr fp cast bullet, and 3 grs with a .310 or .315" round ball for grouse and small game. I use a very small tuft of dacron pillow stuffing. It makes the loads more consistant, especially regarding shooting up or down.

Been fooling with Red Dot some, it's not supposed to be as position sensitive without fluff or filler.

This has some good information about light loads. Look at the section "using pistol powders in rifle loads".

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm