Thread: Northern Air Trophy Outfitter

Default Northern Air Trophy Outfitter

First time using this forum. Don't want to slam someone publicly, but want others to avoid the downfalls of the caribou drop hunt with NAT. First, we got caribou, and had a good time with family and friends, despite the unscrupulous characters affiliated with this service. In short, alcohol impairs company leadership's timeliness. Poor administration skills combined with the greed of overbooking degraded every client's experience, causing a 6-8 day hunt to turn into a 3 1/2 day hunt (beautiful weather, no excuse). The taxidermy service provided by a member of their staff contains numerous hidden charges and they simply don't do the work you ask for. Bottom line, I just want to give everyone a fair warning. Again, we had good company and made the most of it, but it was a poor showing by this organization.

In before the lock...

Yes, +1 for ezdrifter. We had a very similar experience in 2008. PM me if anyone needs details.

Thanks for that info.

Semper Fi and God Bless

PM Me We can talk alittle more.........Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by EZDrifter View Post
    First time using this forum. Don't want to slam someone publicly, but want others to avoid the downfalls of the caribou drop hunt with NAT. First, we got caribou, and had a good time with family and friends, despite the unscrupulous characters affiliated with this service. In short, alcohol impairs company leadership's timeliness. Poor administration skills combined with the greed of overbooking degraded every client's experience, causing a 6-8 day hunt to turn into a 3 1/2 day hunt (beautiful weather, no excuse). The taxidermy service provided by a member of their staff contains numerous hidden charges and they simply don't do the work you ask for. Bottom line, I just want to give everyone a fair warning. Again, we had good company and made the most of it, but it was a poor showing by this organization.

caught this as posted by another hunter. couldn't be more true:

Eric, Art, and myself began talking about a brown bear, moose, caribou hunt years ago and it came to be this September the 13th-21st. Money saved, Military leave and vacation time planned, we had 7 solid days to hunt any game insight. The outfitter we chose was NORTHERN AIR TROPHY (NAT). My friend Eric was a repeat customer as he had taken his relatives last year and did well. A total of $16 thousand dollars was spent, all in cash to the outfitter from our party, basically 2 grand a piece. On multiple occasions, we made it specifically clear to the outfitter, both pilot and organizer, that we wanted bear and moose and maybe caribou if the later didn't pan out. They had 1 year to research the area. They boast their success, professionalism, and their service on their website. Just to make sure, when we landed and made contact with the outfitter my friend Eric had a personal heart to heart talk with the owner about our wishes. They completely understood and assured our success. I also asked the owner to place us in an area that they honestly thought would be best. Their response was not to worry it was no issue they had it covered. So the time come to fly. With gear in hand and high aspirations, we flew to a river. When we landed we found two tents stocked with food and fishing gear. My thoughts were how could there be so much food in bear country and everything still intact? One solid day of hunting, and scouting for miles no game in sight. Bears love food and the tent was undisturbed. So the answer was there were no animals. The next day we called outfitters to relocate us on a satellite phone at our expense. They told us to stay put and hunt another day and they would pick us up the next day and take us to caribou. They never showed. Hunting day 3: We called they never answered and we saw another hunter 3 miles up from us hunting. Hunting day 4: Keeping in mind we couldn't hunt far from camp because we were sure a plane would be there to get us soon. We were hunting 2 miles from camp and a plane came in. We busted our butts to get back only to find locals fishing in front of our camp, no outfitter, just hurting feet. We did have some company, 5 other hunters floated into our camp/hunting area with a moose. They told us they were instructed to float there and they could stay at the camp. So now we have 8 hunters in one area. They begin to hunt our area..unbelievable. They precede to tell us that the night before we arrived there was a hunting party of 14 at our camp drinking and shooting their guns in the air and at the bank all night long, no wonder there was no game in sight. These guys that came into our camp was expecting to be picked up that day. They too were left stranded for a day. So now the question, who was going to be picked up first the next day, us or them. Now we have hunters in our camp, other hunters above us, and locals flying into our camp to fish. Hunting day 5: another expensive call to the outfitter. The co-owner told us we were first on the list to be re-located, Eric respectfully complained to the owner and she said "If you have a ***** we can take care of it back at the airport". They showed up at 3pm, re-located us to caribou miles into the arctic circle. Now you cant fly and hunt in the same day. There were other hunters in the camp out hunting due to leave the next day, so we scouted the remainder of the day. We found 6 herds of caribou and we were excited. We got up early the next day, walked a total of 14 miles through tusicks and tough terrain up hill only to find the herd had been long gone. With blisters on Erics feet and my legs exhausted. We came back to camp empty handed. The pilot assured us we would be picked up soon, and we were left stranded with no plane another day. Now with 6 solid hunting days wasted, the pilot finally showed up at 8:30 at night. After a very scary flight home, we landed back in town. The co-owner came out to discuss what we wanted to do. Eric told her our time had been wasted and we had just had a horrible time. That's when she FLEW OFF THE HANDLE!! She cursed us and told us it wasn't easy, and we just had to get out and hunt harder. I quote her "Come on guys this isn't your F**king first rodeo, you have to plan better". We had no place to stay and our flight to Anchorage left the next day. She put us in a warehouse with no heat. We flew out the next day with nothing but stained memories, wasted time, and money, landed in Anchorage thankful to be alive and the nightmare over. So if you plan on hunting in Alaska, stay far away from NORTHERN AIR TROPHY. If you use them, know your hunt and your life is at extreme risk. Their motto is "IF YOU HIRE A KILLER, HIRE THE BEST" But know, with this poorly operated outfitter, its YOUR life that may be killed. Tell everyone you know, and I have never been treated so poorly. Respond Share This Posted 30 Sep 2010 (267