Thread: Poll/ PWS Bear Appearances! LOW SNOW YEAR!?

Question Poll/ PWS Bear Appearances! LOW SNOW YEAR!?

Well this year I am going to attempt a couple different spring bear hunts.
    1st:
    PWS Bear Patrol. The strange thing about the PWS snow coverage this year is throwing me off. I know by May 1st on most years you have some boars roaming around out there. The snow pack this year is about 6-8' less than most years. I am going off what I can see in Whittier currently. So this would lead me to suspect that the bears could make an early appearance!
    One would expect the Big Boars to be roaming around two weeks early at least. Now that puts us about 14 days from bear activity today!!!!
    I know this seams early!
    What kind of history do you guys know about low snow years on the PWS? My knowledge only dates back a few years.
    When do you suspect the mass population to come out the dens this year? End of May?
    As for footwear goes. What kind of boot do you recommend for stalking bear up the hill side of the West PWS? Would my Xta-Tuff's be ideal due to soft wet ground?

My 2nd:
    I am hoping to make a trip to Seldovia this year and hunt blacks off an ATV. I have alot of researching to do here on this hunt. I am hoping to gain access to any atv trail around there and get out of the thick brush. I am not sure if this is even possible.
    I am looking for any info someone has to assist me on this hunt.
    Footwear?
    ATV Trails?

Thanks Gentlemen!

Bear activity revolves around the photo period from my experience. They come out about the same time each year. They have to eat and if there is no green, there are not going to be bears. Of course, there are always exceptions. I have seen them out there in mid April.

Your xtra-tuffs will be ok, but if you are planning on hunting the chutes, you might be better suited wearing something with a better sole and more ankle support.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Around Seldovia you will need a permit from the native association. Most of the ATV trails are old logging roads. You even need a permit to pick berries in the fall.

yeeeaaa them bears dont care about snow cover weather cold etc they are out when they wanna be out. only humans care about snow depth

It's been snowing in Valdez all week.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

School gets out May 18th and my daughter and I are headed down on that evening - I predict the bears will be out on the 19th of May

The wait for May 12 to fly up to AK is killing me. Hunting PWS the 16th to 23rd, rented a cabin down there. Have a cousin from Eagle River to hunt with. Really liking the sound of the 3rd week of May for blackies!! Good luck to all!

Last two weeks in May are generally considered to be "ideal" for bb in western PWS ... but there are always exceptions. Often after several days of rain the bears really seem to come out. Good luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

I killed my PWS bear last year on May 18. We did not see alot of bears. But a couple of them were BIG.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

My Hunting partner and I are talking about trying to do a PWS Bear hunt out of Whittier this spring too. My problem is I had back surgury that didn't go as planned so I have to hunt from the beach area or floating in a boat. Do the bear come down to the water line early or stay up above tree line?

Quote Originally Posted by AkGrumpy View Post
    My Hunting partner and I are talking about trying to do a PWS Bear hunt out of Whittier this spring too. My problem is I had back surgury that didn't go as planned so I have to hunt from the beach area or floating in a boat. Do the bear come down to the water line early or stay up above tree line?
    Late in the afternoon/evening they'll come right to the water. If there are little patches of green grass for them to eat that's where they'll be.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Make sure you check the regs, in parts (if not all) of PWS, you can't shoot from the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Make sure you check the regs, in parts (if not all) of PWS, you can't shoot from the boat.
    Thanks Frostbitten, You are correct.. You can't not shoot from a boat anywhere in 6D.. I would probably seen that before the hunt but better to know in advance. Which is why I come here. To get info and insite before I screw up.

Thanks Frostbitten, You are correct.. You can't not shoot from a boat anywhere in 6D.. I would probably seen that before the hunt but better to know in advance. Which is why I come here. To get info and insite before I screw up.

UNLESS: You get a disability permit. Check with your doctor. If he's willing to write an affidavit stating you're "70% disabled", you can shoot from a boat.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    UNLESS: You get a disability permit. Check with your doctor. If he's willing to write an affidavit stating you're "70% disabled", you can shoot from a boat.
    Right now I am 100%. Cannot return to work this year at all. And maybe never again. Wonder if VA letter stating 100% would work? Have to look into that just in case we make this trip. Thanks

Yes. The regs say any letter from a recognized government agency establishing disability qualifies you for a disability permit.
    Be sure to shoot them on steep hillsides so they roll down to the beach, too. And record it. Good luck.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by powderhound View Post
    Well this year I am going to attempt a couple different spring bear hunts.
    1st:
    PWS Bear Patrol. The strange thing about the PWS snow coverage this year is throwing me off. I know by May 1st on most years you have some boars roaming around out there. The snow pack this year is about 6-8' less than most years. I am going off what I can see in Whittier currently. So this would lead me to suspect that the bears could make an early appearance!
    One would expect the Big Boars to be roaming around two weeks early at least. Now that puts us about 14 days from bear activity today!!!!
    I know this seams early!
    What kind of history do you guys know about low snow years on the PWS? My knowledge only dates back a few years.
    When do you suspect the mass population to come out the dens this year? End of May?
    As for footwear goes. What kind of boot do you recommend for stalking bear up the hill side of the West PWS? Would my Xta-Tuff's be ideal due to soft wet ground?

My 2nd:
    I am hoping to make a trip to Seldovia this year and hunt blacks off an ATV. I have alot of researching to do here on this hunt. I am hoping to gain access to any atv trail around there and get out of the thick brush. I am not sure if this is even possible.
    I am looking for any info someone has to assist me on this hunt.
    Footwear?
    ATV Trails?

Thanks Gentlemen!
    For PWS third week of May game on. Climbing those steep snow chutes I'd wear my hunting/hiking boots, avoid the twisted ankle.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Boars will be coming out in the next week to ten days in small numbers and they do not move much, plan on using snow shoes and climbing for them - watch out for avalanches. Usually it is snowing until the first week of May, so visibility is usually the biggest problem. I'll be going out weekly until about the 20th of May, then I have to go back to work for the summer. Hehe. Work. Hehe. I forgot that I'll be "working" all summer in the Sound.

For closer in spots, I bet much won't be killed to First or second week of may. From my experience, May 17th was about the soonest we killed them on Culross. Which was about the first good weekend available. Before that no or little bear sign. Closer to the end of May was hottest.

Now in early 2000's, we were out around Latuche and the like. Saw 13 bears in 2 days in two were killed April 15th or so, shrimping was legal and first weekend I believe, so around that time frame. Again closer in areas, might see them sooner than May, but you will have to work for them. Wait and they will be on the beach. Look for tracks, train your eyes. So many guys just can't focus on those for some reason. Quality of glass is one problem! Move slow with the binos. You will pick them up eventually. Cool to glass an area, go back over a bit later and see fresh bear tracks from den to top of mountain. Once just for fun, I went to the next bay when checking pots out in main water, popped in and glassed and picked up the tracks coming over the mountain down to the trees.

Plus once we had bear activity in bay, just a set of tracks coming down to water line. We hiked up following the tracks to hopefully find an old den. Never found the den, too steep, but there was all kinds of tracks in the snow in the trees. All different sizes of bears. Only one set from 5.5' bear out in the open, buddy killed it he next day, May 19th!

tuna 771
    How did you do on your hunt , heading up next spring to Whittier from Easton , PA. Like to hear about your trip from a neighbor.
    lKraus
    Easton PA