Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Portable stand left in the field?

Default Portable stand left in the field?

So I have a question if someone leaves a portable tree stand in the woods and seasons closed is it ok legAlly not asking ethically to take it. And also I'm sure ethically most people would say no even though it's probably considered litter. I'm not talking about a built in tree stand. Thanks

Is it legal (not asking about ethical) to kick someones ***** for removing a tree stand that does not belong to them? Can I consider the person litter if I leave them in the woods afterwards?
    Go buy your own treestands.

She's all yours.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

If you were to leave it there, after some time, "typically" the bears will find them and tear 'em up. If the owner shows up and sees the damage, lesson learned for them.
    OR
    Take it down and take it home. Put a free ad on some website saying you found a treestand at this X location. If someone calls and describes the location and treestand to a "T", it's theirs. If no response, say after 6 months to a year, keep it. It would appear then that maybe it wasn't that important to them.

Litter...A Good Citizen would police it up...no different than finding a refridgerator or junk car on public lands. Responsible, ethical individual's do not store their possession's in trees or along a trail.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Litter...A Good Citizen would police it up...no different than finding a refridgerator or junk car on public lands. Responsible, ethical individual's do not store their possession's in trees or along a trail.
    Oh, this is just a bunch of crap. How many junk cars or old refrigerators have you personally removed in effort to be a Good Citizen? The only reason the removal of a tree stand in being rationalized is because it is a tree stand and they place value on it that they don't place on junk.
    Enforcement does not ticket/cite people for non removal tree stands, they just want you to get the site clean. People return to the same stands year after year - unless some band of self-rightous do-gooder theives "clean the place up" for the "public good" as they are "good concerned citizens".

You guys need to say how you "Really" feel about this, winter is nearly over. This might be your last chance for a verbal rumble. So, no more being shy and reserved, Tell us how you feel. Hehehehehehe

Quote Originally Posted by stick+string View Post
    Oh, this is just a bunch of crap. How many junk cars or old refrigerators have you personally removed in effort to be a Good Citizen? The only reason the removal of a tree stand in being rationalized is because it is a tree stand and they place value on it that they don't place on junk.
    Enforcement does not ticket/cite people for non removal tree stands, they just want you to get the site clean. People return to the same stands year after year - unless some band of self-rightous do-gooder theives "clean the place up" for the "public good" as they are "good concerned citizens".
    If your portable stand is worth anything at all, they'd remove it at the end of bear season, and we wouldn't have this issue.
    If it's not worth anything, it's not likely to get taken, but it's all still the same. You leave it in the woods after the season is over and you are taking your chances with it. If it gets taken, hey don't leave your stuff where others can get it! DUH!

Personally, I don't see a need to snag stuff like this. But if you leave it out on public land and it gets taken, that's on YOU.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I ink that if they want it they wouldn't leave it on public land. Also I should have mentioned it doesn't appear to be for bear baiting maybe a moose stand I just didn't see any sign of bear baiting other than the stand. In my oppinion it's up for grabs. I didn't take it but I believe the people who think it's ok to leave they're stuff inthe woods are the same type of people that let trash blow out of their vehicles and leave beer cans bottles and empty cases on the ground and are possibly the same type that shoot up and burn cars and yes that makes me even more mad to see in spots that I love to hunt, unfortunately I don't have the means to clean up that. But in a very near by area there is the remains of somebodys old homebuilt stand and I know for a fact it hasn't been used in a long time but they never decided to go back and clean it up I also found a makeshift ground blind where there is a camp chair left that wouldn't even support a 5year old anymore and they obviously didn't feel the need to clean up after themselves either. If your too lazy to hang a portable stand every year then that's your problem and you should be able to own up to it getting stolen or destroyed. I won't do it but the type of people in the woods these days ain't what they used to be.

Where I hunt, if your bait site is not removed within 10 days of the end of the season it's a violation. That includes your treestand.

legally speaking, if you take something that doesn't belong to you for your own use no matter where it is or how long it has been there it is technically theft, unless you use court established processes to change ownership to you.

this doesn't speak to the ethical issues on both sides or the legal issues of the person who left it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by ctaylorak View Post
    legally speaking, if you take something that doesn't belong to you for your own use no matter where it is or how long it has been there it is technically theft, unless you use court established processes to change ownership to you.

this doesn't speak to the ethical issues on both sides or the legal issues of the person who left it out there.
    And what about the Scum'Bags on Wall Street that have stolen billions from the American People, and get paid $$$$Twenty-Eight Million Dollars per year salary to engineer the transfer of wealth........?

Quote Originally Posted by stick+string View Post
    Not to be rude but some of us "do-gooder thieves" that "clean the place up" for the "public good" remove a number of old bait sites and garbage every year that others leave behind.

Leaving behind stands, bait sites, garbage, old camp stoves, old cots, cans, etc. make us all look bad and risk our right to hunt as we do today! Be a good steward and leave it as you found it!

IMO if your foolish (or lazy) enough to leave a stand behind you have no reason to complain about someone doing your job for you. If your willing to leave a stand behind what else are you willing to leave?

I don't know about you, but personally I'd rather not ADVERTISE where I hunt.. leaving a stand at your hunting site after season is like putting up a billboard on the Glen Highway. It's also not safe or healthy for the tree.

Just my $0.02!
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Default location

where is this at?
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

Here's my position - leave other people's stuff alone, period. If a person has illegally left the stand in a tree let the troopers who do enforcement remove it and ticket them. Let the pros do their jobs.
    And BTW troopers do not ticket a guy who totally cleans up his baiting site but leaves the stands in the trees - I know some enforcement officers personally and this is how they apply the law to everyone.
    Anyone who has had trail cams, traps, full cans of fuel, a strategically placed canoe, etc. that they temporarily left "cleaned up" when they are counting on it being there when they return knows how much it sucks.
    People in this thread are rationalizing "hey - the guy left his stand in the tree so must not care about it or want it anymore." Wrong! He wants it exactly where he left it, in the tree. And it's not yours.
    Now I agree that the guy who leaves a stand in a tree in a heavily trafficed area is foolish and the stand will probably be stolen. But, there is no rationalizing or moralizing yourself being the one who takes it because you can somehow catagorize it as "litter" or because it's public land.
    Please leave my stuff alone, I'll leave yours alone, and I won't leave any *real* litter in the woods.

couple questions....
    1. Store bought or home made?
    2. How long has it been there? Condition should give you some indication

As a general rule I think if it's not yours, don't F with it.
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

Siding with stick+string on this one - Good Luck Hunting everyone!!

Default year round spot

...maybe someone uses this stand for hunting things other then bears in the spring, like bears and moose in the fall, maybe predators in the winter....i would leave well enough alone, some day it might be you getting robbed. And i'd hate to meet the guy who owns the stand on the way back out of the woods.
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

Anyone who Depends on something being where they left it on public lands, it is foolish. People and critters both sometimes fool with stuff. If it is valuable, treat it as such.
    I have seen camps used repeatedly for many years and suddenly they are abandoned...left as an eyesore. Not one of us can truly say we will return next season...with certainty...life happens that way.
    BTW: I never kept track of the numbers of appliances and other junk I have policed up....never a tree stand though...yet.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

If you didn't buy it don't touch it .....and If you honestly feel that strongly about it being litter, give the GPS coordinates to the brown shirts, I'm sure they'll investigate the situation.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast