Thread: New Winchester Model 71

Default New Winchester Model 71

Anyone lay hands on one of these yet? Thinking about getting one, wondering about there quality, strength etc.?

I haven't seen one in person, but I believe they are being made by Miroku, who made all the Browning and later Winchester varitaions of older types. The quality of all the them is generally outstanding. The later Winchesters have a rebounding hammer and tang safety. Many don't like those features, for various reasons. The rebounding hammer setup can cause problems with misfires, but it can be tuned fairly easily, or simply replaced or modifed to half cock type. The rebound also can negatively affect the trigger pull quality, but that can be tuned also. Strength is beyond question. The action design is the strongest that I'm aware of, not by internet opinons and guesses, but by gun builders and a guy that tested to destruction various actions. Strength hasn't been an issue to me, as all are amply strong for any loads I'm going to run in them, and you don't have to be faint of heart to say that. They arent as popular as some others because they are heavy, and rather expensive, and have never been made in large numbers.

To some of us, the design (1886/71) is artwork in steel and walnut.

An older Winchester 71 (1950's) in the Northern Rockies at 10,000 ft el in July.

Still a beauty to look at and shoot 100 plus years later! Pretty exceptional thinking back when it was designed don't ya think!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Went back to edit, but it wouldnt let me,...Guess there's a time limit on edits?

"....The action design is the strongest that I'm aware of,...." Should have been "...The action design is the strongest of the traditional type lever actions that I'm aware of,...."

Default Strongest?

I haven't seen the blow up tests or how they measure "strength" but I would imagine that the Model 95 would be stronger since they beefed up the receiver sides to take the pressure of the more modern cartridges like the 30-06 etc.

In any event both are plenty strong enough for anything reasonable.

Personally I'd like a 95 carbine in .35 or .400 Whelen.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Went back to edit, but it wouldnt let me,...Guess there's a time limit on edits?

"....The action design is the strongest that I'm aware of,...." Should have been "...The action design is the strongest of the traditional type lever actions that I'm aware of,...."
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK