Thread: Whittier Fishing?

Default Whittier Fishing?

I have a shrimp / fishing charter scheduled for the last week of July. Have never fished there before. Charter captain said we would fish while the shrimp pots soaked- probably rockfish & halibut. I see alot written on this website about Homer and Seward ocean fishing, but not much on Whittier. What size of rockfish & halibut are the norm?
    Does Whittier have any of the salmon species around at that time?
    Thanks for any info.

Quote Originally Posted by nuprofessor View Post
    I have a shrimp / fishing charter scheduled for the last week of July. Have never fished there before. Charter captain said we would fish while the shrimp pots soaked- probably rockfish & halibut. I see alot written on this website about Homer and Seward ocean fishing, but not much on Whittier. What size of rockfish & halibut are the norm?
    Does Whittier have any of the salmon species around at that time?
    Thanks for any info.
    Honestly, unless this guys has some really sweet spots out in PWS, I would assume the butt fishing is going to be really slow. The rockfish will probably be on fire......Seriously....I have caught lots of 5-15 lb rockfish in PWS, and you can catch much larger ones - it just depends on where you go I suppose. The fishing for black rockfish can be so good that your arm can feel like it is going to fall off. But, it is fishing and it can be slow too.....Depending on what you mean as to out of Whittier, salmon will likely be very slow. However, if your charter is willing to travel some, the Coghill and Eshamy should have fishable numbers at this time. Good luck to you as who knows exactly when those fish will show. If nothing else, if the the captain knows anything at all the shrimping will be great. From my experience, just about any idiot can do very well shrimping just outside port.

It depends on how far out the captain runs. Montague Island has some outstanding fishing, but it's about a 3 hour boat trip from Whittier. The rock fishing, and lingcod can be very good out of Whittier. Salmon depend on the run, I've had years where the salmon fishing was good, and years where they were very hard to catch.

The fishing will be fine that time of year for silvers, halibut, rockfish and shrimp, assuming the charter is willing to burn some fuel and put some time in. You are right, the bulk of charters are out of Homer and Seward. Those towns are much nicer, Whitter is nothing in comparison.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded