Thread: Wooldridge Alaskan XL 23 w/inboard or outboard

Default Wooldridge Alaskan XL 23 w/inboard or outboard

Would like opinons on both in and outboards, never owned a boat before and have talked about owning for many years. I think its time to buy one, and alot of folks say wooldridge is a very good boat.

No one with comments on this type of boat?

I have a Wolly AK II with a outboard, each has pros and cons and it really depends on what you plan on doing with it. Just fishing and carrying light loads an outboard might be best, moose hunting and hauling heavy loads inboard might suit you better. Outboards are easier on fuel but won't haul as much. I can tell you Wooldridge's hold their value and are well built, Great customer service. Some forum guys are planning a spring boat get together to try different rigs, might be a good idea to check that out.

Mine continues to serve me well. Will have it out chasing bears again soon.

PM me if you want to chat about it.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

They are a good boat but they also have limitations like all boats do.
    What will you be using it for? For rivers they are great. For lakes or anywhere there is a 2 foot chop or more there are much better options. There are a ton of used boats (all brands) on craigslist for sale. If you really want to get the most value buy something 3-4 years old.
    Most people would love to talk to you about boats but first you need to be specific on what you will use it for.
    Tennessee

Default Wooldridge - Excellent Choice

You can't go wrong with buying a Wooldridge. Look at used ones and what they are going for, great at holding value, plus the customer service was / is excellent. I went with the inboard on my 23 XL because I wanted the power , compact, weight savings, everything is in the boat and the dog house makes a cool little table. I am going to use the boat mainly in rivers and lakes. Dought if you will find a used XL anytime soon, so you will probably want to order one from Wooldridge. Call the boat manufactures and talk to them about their boats / options and that might help you to make a good decision. Happy hunting!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am a fan of inboard engines for several reasons with a negative in that they occupy deck space, but that can also be remedied.

I will use my inboard as an example it is a 285hp 351W turing a 3 stage jet pump, burns 8-9 GPH at 30MPH in a 22ft FishRite Explorer hull, if this engine grenades I can buy a new long block for approx $2200.00. Or I can simply repair/rebuild it myself ( I am a professional mechanic so keep that in mind).

I can also put high performance parts on it and it will produce 400-500HP and gain100-150 ftlbs torque, for a cost of approx $2000.00.

Now to get = HP from an outboard I would need 2 OB motors, lets 150hp each. New Hondas are 10-11k EACH, fuel consumption would be at least 50% greater than my inboard, MPH may be greater depending on the boat/hull/load. Weight of the 2 engines more than double that of the inboard.

Maintenance on the 2 Hondas would be greater as there are 2 engines in need.

The inboard is right in front of you if it needs attention and often an issue can be addressed right then and there if you posses a mechanical aptitude/knowledge, and of course have the part/tools required.

Inboards generaly are louder compared to outboards, jets are loud either way.

Inboards supply a heat source for the cockpit while underway, a huge favorite for the women aboard and keeps the windsheild fog free.

With the boat you mention you will need at least 300hp or you will suffer disappointment, these days new inboards put out 350hp or better easy. Grant Wooldridge I am sure has a valuable opinion on this.

That is my opinin for now as my caffiene intake is insufficient to provide anymore help firing the ol' synapsis.

.338 hit the nail on the head.
    FWIW, I have a large inboard jet on my Wooly, and a lil' outboard for trolling around.
    I have to say Stid's setup looks exceptional, and I would not hesitate to go that way. Great pics there.
    Pil's looks nice too, but my inboard is about 10X the size of his.
    btw I like your handle.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Another nice thing about an inboard is you can buy a boat with a fish house. This is where they build a level deck around the motor with railing to prevent most sober people from falling into the water.

A Fish Deck maximizes storage area and usable space in the boat. This compartment forms a very stable platform to fish from and is an ideal spot to lay out sleeping bags for nights on the boat. There is plenty of room for two. Storage compartments are large and deep for everything plus the kitchen sink. Not only can you fill up the storage spaces for long camping/hunting adventures but you can pick gear on top of them as well. I always thought these looked stupid until I recently found out about the storage compartments on both sides of the motor. Another plus is you can spot game easier from the deck as you are higher.

.338 offered some other great advice about power and performance.

Here is a photo of a fish deck, the seats are removeable.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tennessee

Here is one example of what you can find in the lower 48:
    http://www.meanchicken.net/webmain/f...p=59790#p59790

Plenty of more in the same price ranges.
    Tennessee

Thanks for the comments and posted photos.

Wow Steve, that's a very nice bruin ya got there.

Stid,

Who made up the awesome aluminum gear rack for your AKII?
    Is it removable?

Quote Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
    Stid,

Who made up the awesome aluminum gear rack for your AKII?
    Is it removable?
    Karold's in Fairbanks made it for me and I did have him make it removeable. It bolts to 4 pads I had him weld to the hull.

It is Alaska, don't we all modify, modify and modify some more.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Some very good info here regarding power. The Wolly 23' AK XL is a very large platform that Glen designed to haul heavy loads with less power. Hard to really get the feel of how much deck room is in this hull until you actually see it in person. Even with the sport jet cover in the rear, there is massive room. Less power/hauling more means less fuel, less money. That and the tunnel hull and you can go just about anywhere with loads for hunting and fishing. I wanted to put up a link to the Wooly AK XL product test but for some reason the website won't come up.

http://www.wooldridgeboats.com/catal...cts/alaskan-xl
    Here is a link to the AK XL load tests! Click on videos.

A jet is the only reason to run an inboard. But that's just my opinion.

If you're thinking about an I/O... go outboards instead.

I run a 21' XL with 175 E-Tec outboard jet... couldn't be happier.. Have owned many diff types of boats over the years, this one I'm taking to the grave...

PM me for phone number/etc and I'd be more than happy to talk to you --

I made a choice and went with the 20' Alaskan XL inboard; just signed the paper work Saturday at Maritas, didn't have the time or need to go to the lower 48 or the boat shop up north. I did call but the price difference between the Boat shop and Maritas was very close. As for customer service I was treated just fine. The boat gets here at the end of May.
    Thanks again for all comments see you on the rivers...