Thread: Late June Fly-in with father-in-law... or better ideas

Default Late June Fly-in with father-in-law... or better ideas

Father-in-law is coming up in late June, based on work I'll probably only have a day to take him fishing, he's never been to AK and will probably never be up here again... I'm thinking of taking him on a one day guided fly-in over to the Susitna with Rust's or someone similar for kings. Has anyone else done this trip? Are there better options?
    My wife thinks a charter out of Seward for him, but the cost of getting halibut back to the lower 48 + the cost of the charter (CrackerJack) comes close to a fly-in, and I'm paying the bill. Don't think he'd necessarily enjoy the Kenai crowds and would be physically challenged if I try to walk him away from the crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by RTinAK View Post
    Father-in-law is coming up in late June, based on work I'll probably only have a day to take him fishing, he's never been to AK and will probably never be up here again... I'm thinking of taking him on a one day guided fly-in over to the Susitna with Rust's or someone similar for kings. Has anyone else done this trip? Are there better options?
    My wife thinks a charter out of Seward for him, but the cost of getting halibut back to the lower 48 + the cost of the charter (CrackerJack) comes close to a fly-in, and I'm paying the bill. Don't think he'd necessarily enjoy the Kenai crowds and would be physically challenged if I try to walk him away from the crowds.
    Depends... would you and your F-I-L be satisfied with just a fishing trip with the possibility of not catching anything.. Or do the 2 of you prefer a "catching" trip... If you both can be satisfied with just fishing Go for the Fly-in... If the two of you would prefer a catching trip, at this date, I'd say the odds would be better on a Seward charter... BUT... speaking of charters, To increase your odds on catching in fresh water, why not consider booking a Guide on the Little Su, or the Deshka or some real remote river...???/John

I'd reccomend not going to Bulchitna Lake with Rusts Lake creek is a ZOO during king season. There used to be a guy at willow creek resort that ran jet boats to a certain spot that I like a lot, you might check with them.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

thanks guys. I'll dig around and see what I can find with Willow Creek Resort. Looking at the map little more and talking to the Rusts guy at the sportshow, where they go doesn't seem all that far from Deshka Landing considering the cost.

Farley doesn't run his jet boat on the Willow any more, but he does however have guides that drift the river, not to sure the cost. IMO I think the little su is a good idea.