Thread: POW Steelhead

Smile POW Steelhead

Heading to POW next week for steelhead. While I have fished POW many times this is my first outing there specifically for steelhead. Any suggestions?

The Thorne river, Go to the ranger station in Thorne Bay, ask for the fishing map you know is in the second drawer in the file cabinet behind the front desk, they will deny having the map, but be persistent, it is there. It gives the mile markers up the Thorne River to fish, or you can just drive up the Thorne and pull off at all the turn outs, that is where the good fishing holes are. Jig fishing with a bobber should do the trick. Pink and white marabou jigs work great. Have fun.

Thanks Gerberman. I've tried fishing the Thorne many times and usually gone elsewhere due to the crowds. Perhaps this time it will be a bit more accessible. It does have a great rep.

Thorne R. Klawock R. Karta R. Sarkar R. Staney cr.(once upon a time) Logjam cr. and hundreds of no name streams throughout the island.

multi color glo bugs (rodmans?), big fat nasty black leaches, something shiny and some pheasant tails just in case should keep you and the fishes entertained.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Blues View Post
    Heading to POW next week for steelhead. While I have fished POW many times this is my first outing there specifically for steelhead. Any suggestions?

Have realistic expectations. Relatively small runs on some streams and timing is everything. You could land 5-10 a day, you could get skunked. And so fishing goes. One of the best trips I had in Alaska to date was on POW last May for steelhead. We drove 6 hours up to DC from North Carolina, flew 4,000 miles one way to try for our first steelhead, bush plane another 40 miles north, hiked 15 miles of river, and we caught no fish. We went a bit late and the water was freaky low. We got skunked! I had an absolute blast and will be up that way again April 20-27th. Can't wait.

-Dan

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thanks guys...I appreciate all the help. On the ferry today!

14 days behind you

Shoot me a PM upon your return if you find time.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.