Thread: anyone use sweet feed for bait?

Default anyone use sweet feed for bait?

just wondering if anyone has ever used sweet feed for your bait, and if so any luck with it?

Yes I use Sweet COB. I also throw in a 2# bag of confection sugar and a large cheep jug of maple syrup. Black bears love it and the browns will eat it, but they don't seem to camp on it as much as they do if it was dog food. Just my experiences.

Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

cool , thats what i'm using this year . $10 for a 40# bag at wal mart . also using some bait em 907 products. hoping for a good year was a bust last year.

What is sweet feed.........?

I quite dog food a few years ago, now I use popcorn and kool-aid. So far I've not had any brownies messing with my stations. I would think cob would be the same as long as you don't use any meat.

AGK4now sweet bait is goat food
    Chuck

Brown bears will eat you out of house and home no matter what you use. I use plane popcorn and one of my baits I just gave up on it because all I was getting was brown bears. I use popcorn because its lighter to pack in and the cheapest bait I can find.

I used COB last year, it seemed to work well but the bears were more interested in the popcorn. It will work great though. It was a mess to clean up at the end of baiting season cause the bears scattered it everywhere. Had to rake and shovel it out of the ground so I didn't get fined by a trooper if they checked my site. Kind of sketchy to do when there is a grizzly(heard and smelled him) hanging out with me close by when I was cleaning it up!

Quote Originally Posted by hiline View Post

AGL4now sweet bait is goat food
    What is in the Goat Food......? My Goose Food has gone from $12.50 last year to $18.80 per 50# bag. Maybe the geese will eat the goat food......?

I might just get some popcorn and mix it with the sweet feed for now then just switch to popcorn that would let me carry more in . 40# bag plus my other gear gets heavy after awhile. thanks for the tips. and happy hunting . oh and does molasses mix well with pop corn?

AGL4now.... i dont think geese will eat it that well, could try tho. its more for goats, horses, cows...ect

what are you doing with the kool aid? is it the sweetened mix or the non sweetened powder? what all are you doing to the popcorn, my grease hook up is not helping this year.
    NRA life Member JVJ

Check out The Baiting with Popcorn Thread for some suggestions.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by blasterak View Post
    I used COB last year, it seemed to work well but the bears were more interested in the popcorn. It will work great though. It was a mess to clean up at the end of baiting season cause the bears scattered it everywhere. Had to rake and shovel it out of the ground so I didn't get fined by a trooper if they checked my site. Kind of sketchy to do when there is a grizzly(heard and smelled him) hanging out with me close by when I was cleaning it up!
    I would think a bear would nibble it up like my horse. Heck, I would slow drip frosting on the ground and they ate the dirt
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    I would think a bear would nibble it up like my horse. Heck, I would slow drip frosting on the ground and they ate the dirt
    You would think! Bears seemed very picky last season, one bear would keep digging in the barrel til he found something he liked. Darn bears...

I do a COB and molasses mixture, which makes a sweet, gooey, thick batter that I top with marshmallows. Bears will eat every last kernel of that stuff.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by akprideinvegas View Post
    what are you doing with the kool aid? is it the sweetened mix or the non sweetened powder? what all are you doing to the popcorn, my grease hook up is not helping this year.
    Mix it with the popcorn to sweeten it up or use it in a burn.
    Chuck