Thread: glide slicks

Default glide slicks

Has anyone put the glide slicks on there trailer? I was thinking of it but just did not know if they are worth the money. Do they really work?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

They work too good. They are designed to let the boat easily slip off the trailer and they do. I have a 22' C-Dory and the boat can shift sideways on the trailer on the highway and when backing down the ramp it can self launch if the boat is disconnected before fully in the water. I don't recomend them unless you have a real problem you are trying to fix.

I installed them on my trailer, and they are not nearly as slick as I thought they would be. The boat is a 19' aluminum jetcraft. I still have to fight it off of the trailer on shallow ramps. They must not be as "slick" on aluminum as they are on glass boats.....

Question half n half?

My 24 Seasport rests on 4 bunks. I was thinking of putting slicks on just 2 bunks so there was still some friction remaining from the 2 carpet covered ones. As is, I have to get pretty deep before she floats, even with a hard stop on the ramp. Cranking up to the winch post on retrieval isn't any picnic. That said, I guess I would rather have a boat that's too sticky on the trailer rather than one the slides around too much. Sure would like some other's experience on this subject from glass-on-bunk trailer types.

I have them on all four of my bunks since my trailer was new so I can not comment if they make a difference.
    I never noticed my boat shifting on the trailer while hauling it.
    I do know it is still very difficult to attempt to winch my boat into position on the trailer. I back the trailer up till I can float the boat into the correct position to haul, tighten the front hook, pull out slowly and the boat will center itself.
    I do notice the hull is scratched where it contacts the bunks and they are always covered with salt residue.
    Based upon my limited experience I would think they would be a good choice for a lighter weight (2,000-3,000 pound) boat that you can winch into position. If your boat is bigger than that I doubt you would notice any improvement unless you are determined to winch it on the final few inches.
    Tennessee

A boat that is not properly tied down to the trailer could cause more problems than you think, it is your responsibility to insure it stays where it is supposed to. I would also never suggest unhitching the cable from the bow on any boat until the bow is at the waterline on the launch, one oops and you will pay for it. Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    I would also never suggest unhitching the cable from the bow on any boat until the bow is at the waterline on the launch, one oops and you will pay for it. Just my .02
    Saw that first hand last. A guy untied the the boat along with the cable. As he was backing down the boat slipped off of the trailer and on to it's side. Did not see major damage except for cosmitic.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I put them on my trailer for the 16' aluminum. It is a heavy boat. I launch in serious current with a very soft river bottom. Back up too far and you are stuck. The problem that I was having was the last 2-3 foot onto the trailer. I can now power up to the post and the boat also seems to settle into the correct position easier.
    I'm glad I put them on as I am almost always alone and every little bit helps.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it