Thread: Black bear hunting question....

Wink Black bear hunting question....

I'm flying up in mid May to Petersberg, AK for a week of spring bear hunting and fishing at a nearby lodge. As I understand it, I need to purchase a Non-resident Black bear license, Hunting license, which I can purchase online, and I'll need a "Tag" as well? Where do I purchase this $25 tag?

As for sport fihsing, I understand that I need a Non resident Sport fishing license and a "Salmon stamp" as well?

Do I have this all correct?

First trip up and want to make sure I have everything done right...

Thanks!

Keith

You need a hunting license ($85), black bear tag ($225), and harvest ticket (free). I believe the $25 tag you're thinking of is for brown bears. You will also need a fishing license for the week ($55 for the week) and a king salmon stamp ($30). They nickel and dime you to death around here. The idea is to make non-residents afraid to hunt without a guide, and therefore keep the guides (who pay lots of tax money to the state) in business. If you know about "collusion," you have a sense of the way things work in Alaska.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Okay, got it, Thanks! Looking forward to this trip. Have always wanted to do it, but always let something else get int eh way....just decided enough time had gone by.

So does anyone have any recommendations of places to eat, and things to see while in Petersberg???
    Thanks!
    Keith

Hammer and Wikan (Hardware store) or Ace(think that's what it is) should have the licenses you need. You may need to go to F&G office for some component, but most everything is within about 2 blocks of eachother.

buy your tag and permits ahead of time on the af&g website. itll save u time.

Did just that last night! Printed my Fishing license and Salmon stamp, they'll mail my bear tag and permit to me.

Where would anyone recommend for a place to stay for 2 nights in town? Our reservation at Island Point lodge doesn't start until Saturday and we're flying in on Thursday morning. I've looked at the Tides Inn, and a couple B&B's online.....

Thanks!
    Keith

I overlooked the part about nonresidents needing a locking tag for black bears as well. Forgive my earlier omission and please buy a locking tag.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.