Thread: Thanks Hewescraft!

Default Thanks Hewescraft!

So I bought a 1 year old 260 Pacific Cruiser last May with twin 150hp Yamahas and the full cabin and head configuration. Not long after I got it the door fell off the ice box. It wasn't the previous owners fault. The ice box had a cheap plastic frame that when mounted had no backbone. It resulted in the plastic frame of the ice box cracking which resulted in the frame on the ice box cracking and finally breaking. Point is the ice box isn't made by Hewes and I'm not the original owner so I'm not covered under warranty for anything but the hull.

Being the hopeful guy that I am I contacted Hewes, told them the problem, and sent them a few photos just to see what they would say. Heck the boat was practically new and I thought it worth the shot. Shockingly to me, they sent me a brand new ice box with some new brackets to fix the problem. I didn't have to haggle with them, did next to nothing to convince them that it was not a user problem and they seemed more than happy to help me out. They may not make the fanciest boats but they make the pickup trucks of boats in Alaska and with customer service like this they have a very high probability of getting my business again.

Its rare these days to find a company that not only stands behind their product but the products they use when outfitting their boats. Just wanted to say thanks Hewescraft for the great service and support.

I purchased a 2004 Hews new. First weekend out stowing some gear I found some tabs in the bow (used in the manufacturing process) cutt off but not ground down or cleaned up. Looked like s#!+ I was mad! I notified Hews and within a week they flew one of their fabricators up from Seattle to clean it up. Any weld shop in town could have fixed it in a hour but they wanted to insure it was done right. I still wonder what my hull may look like under the floors but with this kind of customer service I'm not worried about it. I know they stand behind their product.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Yes, Hews stands behind there product. Nice to find companies like them in this day and age.
    May God Bless The USA!
    If you don't study and understand history, your doomed to repeat it!

Default Hmmmm - Interesting

My experience has not been so nice. I have a 2007 Pac. Cruiser (cuddy). All the windows were installed poorly and they leak. These leaks are small and would be no big deal except that the water is slowly corroding the hull. Dewey's told me "Hey - no problem, it will take some time to fix, but when you are ready, Hewes will fix it right. It a "known problem" So, end of last season, I strip out the inside of the boat and remove all the electronics. I call up Dewey's and say I am ready to give it up for a while to have the problem fixed. What I get is "Hey, sorry man, Hewes is calling it a paint problem and your paint warranty has run out" When I protested, Dewey's gave me the "We are on your side" bit, and said they would pursue it with Hewes and get back to me. Needless to say, it is now April, and no call. I know that other boats have gotten this problem fixed, but I seem not so lucky. Maybe I should be contacting Hewes directly?? I have been quite happy with the service I have received from Dewey's up till now. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I hope this does not represent a change in the way Hewes backs their products.

Smile

I would go to Hewescraft directly and demand that they stand behind the problem. Good luck to you.
    May God Bless The USA!
    If you don't study and understand history, your doomed to repeat it!

Quote Originally Posted by La Pine View Post
    I would go to Hewescraft directly and demand that they stand behind the problem. Good luck to you.
    La Pine is exactly right. While I have no complaints about Deweys I would go directly to Hewes. They treated me great. Sure seems to me that they value their reputation and point out that their boats are built for Alaskans. Get in touch with them and push the issue.

Ohhh, and I've never heard of the issue you're talking about. I and everyone I know with Pacific Cruisers have no problems as you've described.

Contact Hewes directly. They are dammn good at keeping people happy. Couple of years ago I put suspension seat brackets in my '04 Searunner. Got them from Dewey's altho at the time Hewes did not offer them - they were from another boat company, but the box the seats bolt onto are all the same. First time out in bouncy water, I was springing up and down like a pogo stick! There was a tension adjuster, but I had it at the heaviest setting. Fast forward the next summer, and I needed a couple of parts so I emailed Hewes, and a few minutes later I got a reply, and the return addy was Dave Hewes... the owner! He said he was going to get my email directly to the parts dept, and 'oh by the way I'll be on the Kenai in a few weeks at the dealer - any of you guys with Hewes go fishing mid week?' HAHA! I told him I was actually going to be in Homer that week, so we arranged a trip. He, his step son and their sales director went out for a day of halibut fishing on my Hewes!

P7230756.jpg
    Dave Hewes on the 'Swissy Baroo'!

SO on the way out, he commented on the suspension seats, and asked where I got them since they were not an option on the '04 models. I told him the story, got them from the dealer, yada yada. And they were also commenting on the springiness of them and that they seemed 'wrong'. So the sales director Clint did a test (bounced on them back at port) and said he'd compare them to the ones they sold now once they got back to Washington. Couple of days later I got an email from him and was told that yes, even tho I had the same ones they sold now, there was two versions- the ones made in Minnesota (what Hewes now sells) and the ones I had, made in China! Difference was the tension spring - USA made had 2 springs, Chinese had one. So I thought nothing of it, was trying to find a way to stiffen them when 4 days later a big box showed up and inside was 2 brand new USA made suspension brackets for my seats.

THAT is customer service! Not to mention we had a great time fishing.
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

I'm a member of hewescraft owners forum and I got an email from Dale the administrator last month. Mr. Hewes passed last mo.th. may he RIP. I agree, hewescraft stands by their product. I'm glad I own one and have had nothing.g but good service from Hewescraft and Deweys.

bummer... may he R.I.P.

Altho I had Dave Hewes out (I think his son?) and not Ralph, the founder of Hewes.
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Default Thanks

I appreciate the replies and the info. This forum is blessed with a lots of good folks. I will take this up with Hewes directly. I have been really happy with this boat otherwise. I love going to the boat show the last couple of years and coming away still feeling like I got the best boat for my money. It would be nice to get this resolved and shore up my faith.