Thread: Glass Bead Eggs

Default Glass Bead Eggs

Well, my first shot at tying some flys with Glass Beads. I liked the color and if you look close the color changes, pretty nest and looks pretty real.

Is there any reason I couldn't use two eggs on one hook as pictured.

They are glass and should sink pretty good. They are 8mm eggs on size 4 hooks. Am using a clear thread.

I was thinking they would be OK for the Kenai and Russian.....was thinking maybe 6mm eggs on size 10 hooks.

I can also get them a little paler and in a kinda pale purple.....any thoughts.

those are way to orange to work in the russian, they might work behind kings and chums but I wouldn't fish them in the russian, the purple however...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

A little variety maybe.....A little lighter shade of pink and a light shade of purple.......8mm beads...........what size hooks should I be looking at.

Those should work ok the pink and purple ones especially in early season. I much prefer 6 mm but sometimes they are hard to find in glass. Nice looking tying going on there! I think your hook size is fine I usually go maaybe a size or 2 smaller but then agin I rarely use glass beads and just melt beads to hooks

Default reg's of last year

for what its worth Just to let you know, last year there was a reglation change to the entire upper river (( unbaited single hook or fly with a gap between the point to the shank of the hook can be no larger then 3/8 inch and bead's must be free sliding on the line or if pegged fixed with in 2" of the hook.)) dont know about the fly fishing areas. I bounce.

Thumbs up Looken good

Hey, 2PawsRiver those look good. Where did you buy the glass beads at? I'd like to make a couple of those up my self, what type of string are you using? If you don't mind sharing your info.

Actually it's not my info, I sent a link to AK Powder Monkey asking him about some beads that were listed on the link..........(I pretty sure it was Powder Monkey, I bother so many of you) ....he told me I should check in a bead store and to also check on glass beads as they sink better....

I got these from a local bead store. They have quite a few colors and I just started with three because they were close to the color of beads on Troutbeads.Com, the Alaskan Selection. They have them in 8 and 6 mm.

If you want some let me know. A package envelope is a dollar and I can't imagine postage would be much. They are not real cheap, 5.00 for a string of 50. I am going to get some of the purple ones tormorrow in 6 mm tie up a bunch.

As for tying them, I don't remember where I saw the instructions, otherwise I would post the link.........but it is pretty simple

I am using clear thread that I bought at a craft store, then spooled onto an empty regular thread spool.

I take a piece of 20 pound mono, tie it in just behind the eye. Thread the bead on, put a loop to sinch it in place the wrap a quarter inch of the mono along the shank.

Cut the mono, wind back up around the egg, sinch it tight then whip finnish it.

Coat the wrap with head cement and tada

One aspect I really like about he bead and I think they will work well is they are like a Tiger eye stone in that the color changes as you turn it. If you look at the three purple ones see how the line has moved based on the position of the bead.......pretty cool

Quote Originally Posted by fishook View Post
    for what its worth Just to let you know, last year there was a reglation change to the entire upper river (( unbaited single hook or fly with a gap between the point to the shank of the hook can be no larger then 3/8 inch and bead's must be free sliding on the line or if pegged fixed with in 2" of the hook.)) dont know about the fly fishing areas. I bounce.
    The russian to 600 yds below the falls and the sanctuary are fly fishing only untill august 20

Wink 2PawsRiver

I'd like to make a suggestion, please crimp those barbs.

thanks

I would think that Black Elk Leather in anchorage would have some glass beads like that.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I would think that Black Elk Leather in anchorage would have some glass beads like that.
    They do not as many 6mm colors as I'd like though

Default Beads...

Go to www.troutbeads.com or Troutfitters (Kenai penn) when they open (if not already) and look at the selection. Tons of great colors. I hear alot about washed pink, apricot, salmon swirl, glo roe, etc... I know they will have plenty of colors that should interest you. You can see all the colors on www.troutbeads.com and order them there also. They have an "Alaska Kit" but you may want to put together a collection all your own. Asking some similar questions on www.alaskaflyfish.net I got some great info. Search beads, pegged eggs, etc.. on that forum and you will get tons of info from some very knowledgable people. I learned of a great bead hook there. Its barbless and is the preferred hook from what I gathered. It is a Tiemco 24-99 bl. I think that is the name, the 24-99 is right for sure. The letters after the number just distinguish it as barbless. Much better on the release mortality rate from what I heard/read. The size I was told that was best for bead fishing is size #8. Some even use #10's. But the info I got was specific to rainbows, dollies, and grayling. The troutbeads website also has some good info/insight on bead fishing and some patterns for the fly tier as well.

Smile Thanks

Thanks for the info I will now have another tool in the tackle box, I don't know why I never thought of glass beads before. And thanks for the Black Elk Leather idea "potbuilder" and to you two "2PawsRiver".

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    The russian to 600 yds below the falls and the sanctuary are fly fishing only untill august 20
    Correct me if I am wrong on this one.

If I am not mistaken (it has been a couple of years) I talked to F & G about the term "fly".
    The above beads fit the definition as long as they meet the hook gap for the Russian.
    They meet the definition because they are permanently affixed to the hook. If the beads are not permanently affixed then they must be pegged within two inches of the hook, or free sliding for the entire length of the line or leader.
    The reason I talked to F & G was a fella fishing an egg loop tied onto the "Russian River hooks" with a piece of yarn. That was the totality of his "fly". F & G said it was completely legal.

AK Chappy

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Chappy View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong on this one.

If I am not mistaken (it has been a couple of years) I talked to F & G about the term "fly".
    The above beads fit the definition as long as they meet the hook gap for the Russian.
    They meet the definition because they are permanently affixed to the hook. If the beads are not permanently affixed then they must be pegged within two inches of the hook, or free sliding for the entire length of the line or leader.
    The reason I talked to F & G was a fella fishing an egg loop tied onto the "Russian River hooks" with a piece of yarn. That was the totality of his "fly". F & G said it was completely legal.

AK Chappy
    you would be correct sir! as long as something is affixed directly to the hook it is a "Fly" and as long as your weight is 18 inches above the hook you are "Fly Fishing" So a bead melted to a hook is a fly whereas one on the line is not.