Thread: Lice in Kantishna Wolves

Default Lice in Kantishna Wolves

Where is the guy with the vet wife who claims such infestations do not occur in Alaska? This might be a good read for him.

read most the comments got a charge how there was 14 wolves in the pack and everyone refered to the 8 wolves as the "entire" pack. interesting how you can word almost any situation to sway the audience reading it. thought the newsminer did a fair job on the arcticle considering its content. some stuff wasn't necesarry and won't go down well..but hey. he killed 8 wolves and is burning them..hard to put a spin on that to make it sound good.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    read most the comments got a charge how there was 14 wolves in the pack and everyone refered to the 8 wolves as the "entire" pack. interesting how you can word almost any situation to sway the audience reading it. thought the newsminer did a fair job on the arcticle considering its content. some stuff wasn't necesarry and won't go down well..but hey. he killed 8 wolves and is burning them..hard to put a spin on that to make it sound good.
    +1 on that.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Interesting that they are spreading north and west... seems like that is the same path our good lousy friend the coyote is taking... coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Interesting that they are spreading north and west... seems like that is the same path our good lousy friend the coyote is taking... coincidence?
    Doubt there is any coincidence about that. Lice has been around for a number of years. I've caught a few over the years with lice. It must be miserable for those animals to live with it. Too bad the trapper lost out on the value of those 8 wolves due to lice. I am guessing that there are some parts of those wolves that he could take off and sell. Pictures weren't great, but some of the tails are great and it is amazing at what fur sewers can put together to make awesome ruffs and hats.

Why is taking a sick animal out of the population a bad reflection on trapping or consumptive use? In a just world, Peta and the HSUS would to send that trapper an award for his charity towards wolves....

BB Wrote:.... he killed 8 wolves and is burning them..hard to put a spin on that to make it sound good....

We had lice on wolves down here over 5 years ago. It's only about 100 miles to the Kantishna from here, so it's not surprising.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Anyone know Bruce?? I'd buy a wolf skull from him.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Seeun's how everything to the south and east is already infested...How could they possibly go in any other direction??? geeeshh It took a massive study, involving numerous bio's and tens of thousands of dollars to come to this conclusion...does anyone else not see the absolute lunacy in this???
    This is a "lousy" matter...hope the critters are able to withstand the onslaught. With fleas and lice becoming entrenched...the fur bearers are gonna take a beating.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Why is taking a sick animal out of the population a bad reflection on trapping or consumptive use? In a just world, Peta and the HSUS would to send that trapper an award for his charity towards wolves....
    This isn't a just world, and while I agree, PETA would just as soon see your carcass burned as the lousy wolves.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Thanks to Steve for posting the article.

Some interesting tidbits of info within. Certainly the state can't afford to attempt to de-lice every pack out there.

Sometimes I think we hunters/trappers really gotta put more consideration into what kind of perception we put out there to the public. One wonders what the point of getting this publicized really was, it appears he was trying to motivate the state to de-lice all packs. But in doing so, especially the thing about burning the wolves, it just doesn't portray a real good picture imo. Some things are better left unsaid.

There is actually no reason to burn them. Lice die within hours without a host to feed them and keep them warm.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Got me one of those short hair stinky wolves tanned up and hanging in the cabin. Wife thinks its ugly but i explain to her thats part of the reason we got a moose this year and i like the conversation it brings up.

agree with doug, i though lice would die off or freeze to death once the host was cold.
    as far as taking a sick animal out being a good move for trappers. sure is fine with me...no one said trapping them was wrong. just don't agree with the burning part, or at least the publication of it.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

While I have have never seen this, it's been thrown around that lice will thaw out after frozen and come back to life. I don't know how much truth is to it, but it is something that trappers consider, and the reason raid is used in addition to freezing when dealing with lousy animals(bunnies, fox, coyote).