Thread: SE Abundance index 1.69 for Kings.

Default SE Abundance index 1.69 for Kings.

Will that be a 2 or 3 fish daily limit for kings, for residents? That's higher than last year.

blah.. found it. Still 2 kings a day. How am I supposed to wipe out endangered runs down in Washington and Oregon if I can only keep 2 kings a day?

Oops! I was looking at 2010. 2011 is indeed 3 kings, for residents! This is going to be fun! The last year we had a 3 king limit, the king fishing was stupid good!

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static-sf...-11%28F%29.pdf

Annual limit of 5 for non-res. Must be a lot of kings in the ocean. Thank you Cora.

yahooooooooo!!!!!!!
    lots of king salmon hopefully going in my freezer

Smile

Looks like ADF&G threw non-res. a bone as well, upping our limit to 1 a day, 5 for the year. Looking forward to catching my Columbia river fish as far away from that mess (Buoy 10) as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by AkKings View Post
    Looks like ADF&G threw non-res. a bone as well, upping our limit to 1 a day, 5 for the year.
    Fullbush doesn't concur
    I think they're just throwing the guides a bone because of the halibut deal. Proof that they'll sacrifice our salmon for the rich IFQ holders

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

The daily and posession limits are frameworked into regulation by the Board of Fisheries (depending on the Abundance Index #). Cora (the Commissioner) didn't make these decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Fullbush doesn't concur
    I think they're just throwing the guides a bone because of the halibut deal. Proof that they'll sacrifice our salmon for the rich IFQ holders
    So did ADF&G contact WA and OR and tell them to make up some strong return numbers to justify raising S.E. king limits? Been numerous newspaper articles here (WA-OR) lately talking about this years strong king returns, both numbers and size, predicting alot of 4 and 5 salt fish. But I'm sure all this talk is just to justify raising king limits in another state to keep people happy over the new halibut regs.

Quote Originally Posted by AkKings View Post
    Looks like ADF&G threw non-res. a bone as well, upping our limit to 1 a day, 5 for the year. Looking forward to catching my Columbia river fish as far away from that mess (Buoy 10) as possible.
    Yeah, I noticed that. Hoping for an amazing May/June of king fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Fullbush doesn't concur
    Most charter anglers in my area come for 3 days of fishing, so the 5 a year limit won't benefit them that much.

Most of our guests come for either 2 full/2 half days or 3 full/2 half days so it benefits us.
    The springer run on the Columbia hasn't been anything great but wasn't predicted to be, that being said, the size average seems to be much larger then most years. Usually springers are typically 12 to 15 pounds with a 20 being a nice fish, this year there have been alot of low to mid 20's and more 30's then usual as well.

even if the Columbia gets a good run, there are still TONS of sea lions that are waiting at the dam for them...........

I have a question about sea lions. Would they sink or float if you shot one? Just wondering

Quote Originally Posted by vermilion View Post
    even if the Columbia gets a good run, there are still TONS of sea lions that are waiting at the dam for them...........
    Yeah but thats well after they pass through S.E. AK. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I have a question about sea lions. Would they sink or float if you shot one? Just wondering
    they float,

Nothing like being downwind of a dead, floating sea lion.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Nothing like being downwind of a dead, floating sea lion.
    Or a colony of live sealions (Addington-Forrester)

this is true, i caught a tagged fish a few years ago from the Columbia in juneau