Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bye bye spike/fork

Default bye bye spike/fork

Well its official there are ganna be a lot of empty freezers on the KP this year
    http://radiokenai.net/board-of-game-...moose-hunting/

Since they won't let us manage the epic overpopulation of brown bears down here, I quit hunting the peninsula 6 years ago. My hunting party goes north every year and scores. We got sick of the BS down here.
    An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

yeah, unfortunately the guys who cant get out of town are screwed. It will be interesting to see what opening day looks like down here this year.

While it will make for very tough hunting for a couple of years, this was based on the very low 9/100 bull to cow ratio on the penisula. Along with that they did approve some ariel wolf control measures, which do not include the KNWR. Unit 15A, regardless of the brown bear and wolf issue is at or near carrying capacity. The upside for peninsula hunters is the large burn (181 square miles I believe) in the southern region that will be producing good habitat and should result in an upsurge in moose numbers there. Still a lot of black bear mortality on moose on the Kenai and the bag limit has been raised to three bears. Spring black bear is fine eating and seems like a good opportunity to help with moose population rebound and fill the freezer.
    Until the brown bear "species of concern" issue is resolved don't expect much relief in that regard.

Glad they did this. Good first step to preserving the game population. The empty freezers argument is pretty "empty". There are plenty of other ways to get meat in the freezer.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

wish they'd do this is all of south central alaska...we are killing bears as fast as we can and still trying to kill just as many moose with more and more hunters each year...only makes sense to ease off the moose for a bit to...can't help something rebound and keep killin' it. pay off big dividends in the long run.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Joat and BB, I couldnt agree with the both of you more! Finally, SOMETHING is being done.

Any word on some of the other changes around the state? They usually come out about this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    wish they'd do this is all of south central alaska...we are killing bears as fast as we can and still trying to kill just as many moose with more and more hunters each year...only makes sense to ease off the moose for a bit to...can't help something rebound and keep killin' it. pay off big dividends in the long run.
    It has been a couple years since I have talked to the SC bio about moose numbers but in 2008 he said we have very good bull cow ratio. From the info he presented we were right on target but that he would like it to go up a bit so he could recommend adding some any bull draw tags to the mix.

If anything stop hunting the paddle bulls. A spike bull as a two year old will have a tough time ever breeding. Unless they are super aggresive a small bull will never breed. But we will shoot a 48 incher with 3 brow tines?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    If anything stop hunting the paddle bulls. A spike bull as a two year old will have a tough time ever breeding. Unless they are super aggresive a small bull will never breed. But we will shoot a 48 incher with 3 brow tines?
    I agree with this to a point, but in the event that the K-pen Bio's are right and there are only 9-100 bull/cow ratio then any bull will get his chance. What (single) guy in his right mind wouldn't love to be dropped into such a target rich environment!

Well, anyone have links to studies or articles justifying this? There sure are lots of moose and lots of calves a round. I mean I think its a good idea for a couple of years to let the population rebound if its needed. But the real answer is to get out the torches and crushers......
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

last i knew when they fly the surveys its winter so the moose are grouped up and theres usually snow on the ground. during breeding season most those moose are spread out to the four corners of the region and cover vast amounts of ground looking for a couple cows. moose numbers are good where i'm at, would love to see the spikes have a chance to make it for a few years. moose numbers were fine back in unit 13 when it was 36" or bigger...course alot less people out there gunnin' them to. alot less atv's...no 4 wheelers that i can even remember...maybe the odd 2 wheel drive one or something. but mostly just good ol' honda big reds..

hunting in alaska has changed forever, we'll see more regs like this go into effect before it goes drawing forever i think.
    just be thankfull its still an over the counter tag, cause those days are numbered.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I'm glad to see this. The moose population needs to be managed for maximum harvest. Now if they'll do something about the bears...

I'd like to see a 1 moose every 2 or 4 years down there as well, or a requirement that you tag a predator to get your moose tag.

I think the idea of requiring someone to kill a "predator" for a moose tag is rediculous. The F&G needs to quit playing games and just call a spade a spade. You want a better bull/cow ratio? Gotta stop killing some of the smaller bulls to start. And kill more bears. Plain and simple. They've been playing these games for years.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    last i knew when they fly the surveys its winter so the moose are grouped up and theres usually snow on the ground. during breeding season most those moose are spread out to the four corners of the region and cover vast amounts of ground looking for a couple cows. moose numbers are good where i'm at, would love to see the spikes have a chance to make it for a few years. moose numbers were fine back in unit 13 when it was 36" or bigger...course alot less people out there gunnin' them to. alot less atv's...no 4 wheelers that i can even remember...maybe the odd 2 wheel drive one or something. but mostly just good ol' honda big reds..

hunting in alaska has changed forever, we'll see more regs like this go into effect before it goes drawing forever i think.
    just be thankfull its still an over the counter tag, cause those days are numbered.
    You are right, the aerial surveys are conducted in the winter when they are grouped up and the visibility makes the counting much more accurate. Along with the antler reg change they adopted an intensive management plan to aerial hunt wolves in 15A and 15C however, it will not include KNWR land. Which means there probably won’t be many taken that way out of 15A and will still be up to hunters and trappers to do as much as they can. With that adoption it also closes the moose season in 15A and 15C to non-resident hunters. Habitat in 15A has long since peaked and is now incapable of supporting populations it once did. Unfortunately it is unlikely we will see any controlled burns or habitat enhancement in the immediate future. One thing that is misleading are the moose in the local areas and near roads. Based on that one might suspect the moose are doing well. They are in those areas because the predator pressure is reduced and the various activities that go with some construction, road trimming etc… provide fairly decent new growth. Get out and away from the roads and it is an entirely different story.
    I too hope they look at going to a 36” rule like they did in Unit 13 years ago, that actually seems to work well. And we are fortunate to at least have the open hunt, like many I envision draw hunts only in the not to distant future.

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    Those 48-inchers all started out as spikes & forks. If you eliminate all the kids, eventually there will be no adults.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Outrageous.

Without an antlerless hunt to level the ratio and equal competition for browse during the winter this plan makes no sense.

Its obvious F&G is not too concerned about overall moose numbers. The biggest reason I have seen given is this mystery count from the Caribou Hills...why change the regs for 15A then? A worn down bull after the rut isn't going to stay in the hills. He is going to go where life is easy - cover, food...that isn't contested by cows, and less predators.

States in the Lower 48 manage all species of the deer family by having an antlerless harvest to balance the ratio of bull/cow and buck/doe. This philosophy provides for both maximum harvest and trophy quality animals.

These new regulations are a de facto ban on moose hunting on the KP.

This change only applies to Kenia Peninsula right? I'm looking in the regs and at the site, but if anyone knows different, let me know

I would only be up for that if I can get road kill moose. One of my childrens health depends on wild game as he is deathly alergic to all stor bought foods with the exception of corn products. We supliment him with tube fed formula, but that only does so much. The ADFG wont help us in obtaining wild meat. Its the dang trophy hunters that screw it up for every one else.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast